YA LGBT Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived BOM Nominations > December Book of the Month - Nominations Accepted

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juli (last edited Nov 14, 2011 05:29PM) (new)

Juli (mrsmarit) | 161 comments Nominations are now being accepted for the December Book of the Month. Please carefully read the guidelines before you nominate a book.

Schedule:

11/1 - Nominations accepted

11/20 - Nominations closed, poll posted

11/25 - Poll closes and BOM is announced.

Guidelines:

1. Sub-Genre: Free for all. I would love to see any LGBT book not previously selected for our book of the month nominated.

And be sure to check out the groups bookshelves for even more ideas!

2. One nomination per member.

3. New or upcoming releases are acceptable as long as they will be available early enough in the month to allow time to finish them in the month they were selected.

4. Please do NOT nominate a book that is part of a series unless it is the first book (at the moderator's discretion a new release in a popular series may be selected as an additional choice)

5. Check the Book of the Month group bookshelf to make sure the book you nominate has not already been a group read.

6. Nominations should include:

Title
Author
Blurb
Available format
Where to read or download

message 2: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne (ysareader) | 79 comments I think you meant to use November dates in your announcement.

message 3: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne (ysareader) | 79 comments If we're still doing nominations, I'd like to nominate Witch Eyes (Witch Eyes, #1) by Scott Tracey . It was listed on Amazon's top 10 LGBT titles for 2011 so it might be fun to check out. Plus I found it was available at my local library so others can check to see if it's at theirs.

Witch Eyes

Braden was born with witch eyes: the ability to see the world as it truly is: a blinding explosion of memories, darkness, and magic. The power enables Braden to see through spells and lies, but at the cost of horrible pain.

After a terrifying vision reveals imminent danger for the uncle who raised and instructed him, Braden retreats to Belle Dam, an old city divided by two feuding witch dynasties. As rival family heads Catherine Lansing and Jason Thorpe desperately try to use Braden's powers to unlock Belle Dam's secrets, Braden vows never to become their sacrificial pawn. But everything changes when Braden learns that Jason is his father--and Trey, the enigmatic guy he's falling for, is Catherine's son.

To stop an insidious dark magic from consuming the town, Braden must master his gift—and risk losing the one he loves.

message 4: by Bubbles Hunty (new)

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions  (vapidbubbles) Queeroes by Steven Bereznai that was a really fun YA book, really funny IMO

By Steven Bereznai

Blurb:
When strange powers emerge in a group of gay teens in the town of Nuffim, their lives are forever changed. Troy is a closeted jock who starts to sense other people's emotions. His geeky brother, Gibbie, develops super strength. Flamboyant Chad unleashes his inner animal, while his gal pal Mandy turns invisible.

"I can totally use my power to psych out my competition," says Troy.

"My night vision will make cruising guys super easy," exclaims Chad.

"I am so going to eavesdrop on people's conversations," exclaims Mandy.

"Uh, I was thinking we'd make the world a better place," offers Gibbie.

They get the chance when their schoolmates Devon and Liza use their own unique abilities to remake the student body in a darker image.

Can the Queeroes stop them, or will Troy implode from his closeted feelings? Can Gibbie stay true to his ideals, or will his crush on Chad turn to violent jealousy?

It is at amazon and other places too i think but here is amazon link http://www.amazon.com/Queeroes-ebook/...

message 5: by Juli (new)

Juli (mrsmarit) | 161 comments Yvonne wrote: "I think you meant to use November dates in your announcement."

Yes I did Yvonne thanks for the catch.

message 6: by Byron (last edited Nov 24, 2011 02:33AM) (new)

Byron (byft) | 1060 comments I'm just bumping this thread... UP and comment.. folks!!!!

Will throw the poll to the sharks over this weekend as well..

message 7: by Byron (new)

Byron (byft) | 1060 comments Thanks for the added suggestion Vladimir.. I've included it in the poll..

message 8: by Byron (new)

Byron (byft) | 1060 comments Here's the link for the Poll.. I can't actually FIND the Poll on the groups pages... O_O

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/57...

message 9: by Byron (new)

Byron (byft) | 1060 comments Sorry Katherine. . Polling is already under way. .

message 10: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16510 comments Katherine wrote: "Is it too late to enter Target by Kathleen Jeffrie Johnson since the poll is up? Target

Summary:
Why had the men chosen him? Savagely violated by two strangers, sixt..."

This book is really good, if a bit of a tough read. It definitely could go on the January list. It raises some interesting questions about trauma and recovery, and about sexual orientation, although the GLBT focus is not front and center.

message 11: by Byron (new)

Byron (byft) | 1060 comments Sounds interesting. . . And lgbt doesn't have to be at the fore front of a story. .

I was thinking of having a theme for thejanuary BoM. . "New Year, New beginings". . Suggest a story that reflects a change of direction or new beginings. What say you all?

message 12: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16510 comments Byron wrote: "Sounds interesting. . . And lgbt doesn't have to be at the fore front of a story. .

I was thinking of having a theme for thejanuary BoM. . "New Year, New beginings". . Suggest a story that reflec..."

I'd have to think about choices. I like having a theme, but the selection isn't wide. Actually Target would fit the theme. Nothing like having your old life destroyed to force you in new directions...

message 13: by Byron (new)

Byron (byft) | 1060 comments I wouldn't normally suggest a theme but I had been thinking about it for the new year. This seemed like a good time to put it out there with this book, even tjough I haven't read it yet.

message 14: by Byron (new)

Byron (byft) | 1060 comments Ok folks, voting in the BoM for December is damned close.. If you haven't voted, head here => http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/57...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.