Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion

Was Grindelwald gay for Dumbledore?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

JK Rowling has said that Dumbledore had romantic feelings for Grindelwald. Presumably that's why he overlooked his friend's evil nature and bad qualities. My question: did Grindelwald return Dumbledore's affections? Did he even know about them? Was it a relationship or just a crush Dumbledore had? If they did have a relationship beyond friends and plotters, was it sincere on Grindelwald's part or was he just using Dumbledore's feelings for him to manipulate him? Dumbledore admired and liked Grindelwald as well, after all, seeing him as a sort of savior from his mundane life and family duties -- and someone in Grindelwald's position would have a lot of power over the other person if he found out Dumbledore was attracted to him.

What do you think?

Rachel That's an interesting question. I would be inclined to say that he was using Dumbledore for his intelligence. The only thing that makes me pause for a second is the fact that Grindelwald refuses to tell Voldemort where the Elder Wand is. This could be because he's had a change of heart in favor of Dumbledore's side in the war, or in favor of Dumbledore himself. It's difficult to say since JKR gave us so little information. I wish she'd explain it a little bit. (On Pottermore, maybe?)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Actually I don't remember where it says he had romantic feelings for Dumbledore. What chapter does it say that?

Weirdology Scott wrote: "Actually I don't remember where it says he had romantic feelings for Dumbledore. What chapter does it say that?"

Rowling said in an interview that Dumbledore is gay and that "the more sensitive reader might be able to pick up Dumbledore's attraction for Grindelwald", or something like that. Not an exact quote. So it doesn't actually say it directly in the book. It's subtle. I don't know if she said anything about Grindelwald's feelings. But that's what this question is asking.

Lauraleigh How come in the books it doesnt say hes gay but she adds that in to an interveiw thats just confussing

Erika Now that this comes to light, I remember that I felt that vib when I read about the relationship ... they had a relationship and that´s why the subsequent feelings are so strong. There is admiration, but also guilt and aversion, That's what happens when relationships end in drama.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Rachel wrote: "That's an interesting question. I would be inclined to say that he was using Dumbledore for his intelligence. The only thing that makes me pause for a second is the fact that Grindelwald refuses to..."

Personally, I think he was probably using Dumbledore, and I wonder if Grindelwald was really capable of caring for anyone -- like Voldemort. He probably would have made Horcruxes if he could. However, I do believe he changed during his years in prison, and came to regret all that he did. As a young man, though? Doubtful.

Isabel Lauraleigh wrote: "How come in the books it doesnt say hes gay but she adds that in to an interveiw thats just confussing"

She wasn't able to put everything into the books, but she's given out a lot of other Harry Potter related information in interviews and stuff like that. The things she didn't put in the books and said later usually were just details and not really important to the series.

message 9: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Mckinstry I found it odd that JK Rowling mentioned this in an interview. Seemed a bit like an afterthought, to add some political correctness to the books.

Perhaps Rowling did write Dumbledore as old and unmarried, due to his position of authority and potential scandals? But nothing of the sort ever came across in the books in my opinion.

Rachel Beau wrote: "It was mentioned in Philosopher's Stone with the Mirror of Erised.

When Harry and Dumbledore are discussing the mirror and it showing the heart's desires, Harry asks Dumbledore what he sees, and h..."

Hahahaha, that was win.

Frank Obviously a straight person asked this question.

Rachel Frank wrote: "Obviously a straight person asked this question."

Obviously you are being a little too sensitive. Dumbledore definitely loved him, but did Grindelwald love him as well, or was he even gay? It's a perfectly legitimate question.

Ahlaam I'd like to think so. Even if he didn't reciprocate Dumbledore's feeling, they were atleast infatuated and fascinated with each other. 2 powerful boys with the same ideals for the future of wizardkind who were intellectually and magically equals, I presume that he was atleast attracted to him in some sense. The fact they remembered this friendship 100+ years later says alot.

Although Rowling did say it was unrequited in the interview.

Ciara Unsure. But, in the first chapter of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Dodge's interview, he mentions an epic duel between them. I don't see how that would affect them, but were they duelling out of hatred? Dumbledore won, anyway.