What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Looking for romance suggestions: cold/arrogant male lead, generic plotline?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Merle (new)

Merle (merlinnair) | 1 comments I'm looking for romance suggestions, I actually like generic, predictable plotlines, and prefer happy endings. I like some steamy content, but I can do YA too. I like cold/arrogant male leads, and strong female leads, and I prefer the romance to be the primary plotline or large side plot. I hate sci-fi romance, I don't really like airy chick lit, but I do like historical and fantasy, and some contemporary. I rather like the stories about some powerful, supernatural male lead (like John in Abandon, Lord Death in Keturah) who falls in love.

Stuff I've read/plan to read (so please don't recommend:)

A million different Beauty and the Beast spinoffs (but I'm always open to more)
Keturah and the Lord Death
Howl's Moving Castle
Hundred Thousand Kingdoms
Resenting the Hero
Mr. Impossible
Black Jewels Trilogy
Hunger Games
Abandon

message 2: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) | 109 comments Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series tends to have the very cold, arrogant male leads. The first full-length book is A Hunger Like No Other. The heroine of the first book is probably the "weakest" in the series, but she does come into her own - the rest of the series has strong and even dominant heroines. She also has a historical romance series, the last of which - If You Deceive - has that kind of hero.

Nalini Singh's Psy-Changling paranormal series also has several colder alpha males, specifically Caressed By Ice. Her shape-shifter heroes tend to be a little more down-to-earth.

For contemporary romance, check out Linda Howard's Open Season and To Die For. Both of these have wonderfully snarky female leads with more hostile heroes.

Another historical romance is Ravished by Amanda Quick that's loosely a Beauty & the Beast story with a strong heroine, as is Yours Until Dawn by Teresa Medeiros.

I'd also recommend J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood (first book = Dark Lover) to just about anyone who likes an alpha male - these books are definitely steamy (but not to the point of erotica).

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Ok Merle, on the BDB (JR Ward) series. If you are bothered by weird spellings and horrible editing, then I'd give this series a miss. If these problems don't bother you, I'd STILL give book #1 a miss. As you can tell--I'm NOT a fan. Too many formative years spent with English teacher Grandma, Mum, Dad and later my In-laws to EVER put up with that. Anyway, the first book I just could NOT get through, even tho I tried like 4 times. I did finish the second book--but it took me 5 days--and when you consider I normally finish 1 to 2 books a DAY. . .

Having said that--try The Lark And The Wren which is the first book in a series by Mercedes Lackey. Strickly fantasy romance, but an excellent series. Mercedes does spin a good story.

Lynsay Sands's Argeneau Vampires series is good, but if you don't like humour, avoid it. Book 1 is A Quick Bite and I think she's on like book 11 or so now. Plus there are a few short stories that also go with the series.

And I do enjoy Kresley Cole's series. She writes with some humour (um, ok a LOT of humour) and tells a good story.

message 4: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (myasianself) | 30 comments AHH! You'll LOVE Howl's Moving Castle and The Hunger Games! One of the best books I've ever read! :) But anyways, here are my recommendations

Basically all Meg Cabot books. I'm not the biggest romance fan, but I'm a sucker for Meg Cabot books. Another great romance author is Amanda Hocking, but I think her books are only available in e-books.

Every Soul A Star is a cute little romance book. It doesn't really involve all the physical romance.

Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie is really adorable. I don't quite remember if it had a bunch of romance in it, but I remember it did have some. I highly recommend this book though. Made me cry a lot :(

Evermore is a fantasy, romance book. It has a whole series though. I haven't read the others, but this was quite good. There's also a different series by the same author, but written in the sister, Riley's point of view.

Small Steps is another great book. The romance doesn't hit till I think more towards the middle of the book.

Romeo and Juliet--Together (And Alive!) at Last I don't quite remember this book, but I remember I LOVED it. Gah! I have to re-read this one.

Shiver is getting really popular. I remember reading it last year and I kind of enjoyed it. Most people think it's a spin off of Twilight though, except in werewolf version. (I personally don't see it) But if you like "spin offs", try reading this. It's kind of adorable actually.

Love Among the Walnuts is another great book. I've recently read it, and again, not a big fan of romance, but I really enjoyed this book. It doesn't show the open romance, but it still has it in there. It's just Sandy secretly loves her.

I hope you read these! If you do, tell me how you liked them :)

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 3 comments Andrea Cremer writes great romance books!

message 6: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 211 comments If like period romances, Sandra Hill hill writes Viking romances. I think she has cowboy ones too, but I've not read those.
Kinley MacGregor has a lot as well.

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 13 comments Julia Quinn writes historical romances set in London. They're quite good for a fluffy read.

message 8: by kvon (new)

kvon | 56 comments Sharon Shinn does arrogant male fantasies. Archangel is scifi that reads like romance; or her recent Troubled Waters.

message 9: by Georgia (new)

Georgia D | 4 comments this is going back a ways - How about "Pride and Prejudice", by Jane Austen? My favourite romance novel :)

message 10: by Natalie (last edited Mar 14, 2012 03:51PM) (new)

Natalie | 149 comments How about trying some Kristin Cashore? Especially Fire, and Graceling's got the whole badass female lead thing going. It's technically YA but there's some "steamy content," as you phrased it. Pretty predictable plotline, very fairytale-esque.

Also, YA, but the City of Bones and the other Mortal Instruments is urban-fantasy, but its mainly about the romance, if you ask me.

Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac, | 258 comments The Fever series by Karen Marie Moning? The main guy, I love him, but at times and esp. in the beginning (there are 5 books in total) he was a jerk, an ass, and I got so annoyed of him I wanted to punch his condescending arrogant mean but delicious self. I got angry with him a lot but I also really loved his rude blunt scarily practical cold personality; obviously he grew on me. He's my FAVEEE hero right now. But I also think about Jace from the Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare too because he is a yummy hoot! And the words he says stick with me.

Here's two random quotes from Barrons interacting with the main female lead:

“Maybe you need to get a grip on your libido, Barrons!"
"Fuck you, Ms. Lane!"
"You just try. I‘ll kick the shit out of you!"
"You think you could?"
"Bring it on."
---
“If I have to chain you to a fucking wall to protect you from your own stupidity, I will!
"Wrists. Beam. Chained already Barrons. Come up with a new threat.”

message 12: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda (lucinderella) | 2 comments Read Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout! It is a YA book, but it is (I think) what you are looking for.

The whole plot develops through the chemistry of the two main characters. The male lead, Daemon is " infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy," as it is put in the book description. Katy is a very strong female lead that adds to the suspense and greatness of the book.

I absolutely love this book and can't wait for the next one in the series to come out! READ AND YOU WON'T REGRET!!!!

message 13: by Yue (new)

Yue | 137 comments Any book by Georgette Heyer.

message 14: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 158 comments I enjoy MaryJanice Davidson's Betsy series for a little supernatural romance.

message 15: by Clare (new)

Clare (clarereads) | 27 comments I love Mary Balogh's Bedwyn series. They are historical romance with great characters. You might like the head of the Bedwyn family, but his is like the 4th or 5th book.

And I second Karen Marie Moning - supernatural, arrogant, H-O-T.

message 16: by Ancestral (new)

Ancestral Gaidheal (gaidheal) Fifty Shades of Grey seems to be a popular choice.

message 17: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 14 comments I've read Julie James' Just the sexiest man alive.... It's quite an action story thought there are some scenes that are G 13

message 18: by ambyr (new)

ambyr | 30 comments Cold Magic and sequels have a cold/arrogant male lead in spades. Fantasy/alt history with a heavy romance focus.

message 19: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
This is probably too obvious, but the Sookie Stackhouse series has strong females and cold/arrogant men. Happy endings are few, but not as rare as in the television take-off of this series. Book One is Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris.

message 20: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 147 comments Have you read the Poldark series - an older saga of books about the Poldark family - excellent historical romance - Ross Poldark returns to Britain after the revolutionary war and the books tell his story. The first one is Ross Poldark by Winston Graham and there are several more spanning decades. I think you might really enjoy these even though they were written in the 1950's.

message 21: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Another series that has strong women and arrogant men is Women of the Otherworld by Kelley Armstrong. The first one in the series is Bitten.
Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong

message 22: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1 comments Dark Lover
that book, and the rest in the series are amazing.

also read On Dublin Street

ON Dublin St has an arrogant and absolutely hot male hero and a fantastic heroine. It's modern, and absolutey amazing.

message 23: by oliviasbooks (last edited Mar 21, 2013 03:57AM) (new)

oliviasbooks | 191 comments The Raven Prince: 'The Earl of Swartingham is in a quandary. Having frightened off two secretaries, Edward de Raaf needs someone who can withstand his bad temper and boorish behavior....'

The Native Star (historical with steam punk elements): 'Dreadnought Stanton, a warlock from New York City whose personality is as pompous and abrasive as his name, has been exiled to Lost Pine for mysterious reasons. Now he finds himself involuntarily allied with Emily in a race against time—and across the United States by horse, train, and biomechanical flying machine—in quest of the great Professor Mirabilis, who alone can unlock the secret of the coveted artifact. But along the way, Emily and Stanton will be forced to contend with the most powerful and unpredictable magic of all—the magic of the human heart.'

message 24: by Daffodil (new)

Daffodil | 1 comments I would recommend (not in any particular order):
The Cold King by Amber Jaeger : This is a deviation of Beauty & the Beast. This is an eBook I think. I'd categorize it as a YA book.
Dragon's Bait by Vivian Vande Velde : YA fantasy. A must read for me. A girl was saved by a dragon, a dragon that could turn into human. Wish it was longer.
Dear Enemy by Alison York : Romance. One of my favorite. I have to say most of the male leads in vintage harlequin romance are cold and arrogant.

message 25: by Ladondra (last edited Mar 25, 2013 09:07AM) (new)

Ladondra | 3 comments I love the Dragon Kin series by G A Aiken. The Sentinel Wars by Shannon Butcher is scorching, but the guys are not always aloof. I really enjoyed Annette McCleave's Soul Gatherer series, although I felt the final book left the series sort of dangling, and her latest, Dark Deceiver.

message 26: by Amy (new)

Amy Thompson (cidercat) | 7 comments If you like erotica, I highly recommend Bared to You (first in the series). IMHO it makes Fifty Shades of Grey look drab and dull.