The Lovely Bones The Lovely Bones discussion

What to do after The Lovely Bones

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Amber I read this book in one sitting and loved it, every bit of it. And afterward I am left a little lost feeling, like thinking about how beautiful and perfect the story is, yet wanting more and not wanting more simultaneously. I was just so lost in the telling of the Salmons' story, guess i am a little sad to see it end.

I wonder, what did you feel after finishing the book?

What book will you read next?

I know that the movie is coming out in 2009, having been filmed outside Phili and directed by Peter Jackson. I worked for dreamworks this past year on another film but my higher-ups just raved about how good the dailies and the first cut was shaping, so i am really pumped for the release next fall.

Anna It's already out Amber! no more waiting.

Dani Anna C. wrote: "It's already out Amber! no more waiting."

she posted that comment in 2008. just thought you should know

Ashley Patterson When i got done reading The Lovely Bones I read Sebolds book Lucky and loved it just as much...

Jennifer The Murderer's Daughters, The Bright Forever, If I Stay... along the same lines.

Kristy If you like Lovely Bones you should read Lucky by Alice Sebold. Its actually loosely based on what happened to her when she went to college in Syracuse NY at SU.

It's a little depressing but so was Lovely Bones.

Maria surprisingly, I felt peace. Think about it this way. She was looking down onto what she knew and at the end of the book what really happened is that her story was told. She went to rest. I guess it is something you have to imagine , but thinking about it this way makes it very beautiful.

Alice43 The Almost Moon. Just as good.

message 9: by Javed (new)

Javed Hayat What to do after Lovely Bones?

Light an Olympian torch and burn the damn thing I suppose...

Alice43 Lev_Boy wrote: "What to do after Lovely Bones?

Light an Olympian torch and burn the damn thing I suppose..."

Why?

Michelle Brunet I didn't like it that much. It was a tense chapter when the sister was trying to get evidence. But I personally don't like books that leave a sour aftertaste.

message 12: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren Michelle wrote: "I didn't like it that much. It was a tense chapter when the sister was trying to get evidence. But I personally don't like books that leave a sour aftertaste."

I didn't like it either. My sister gave the book to me for Christmas and said it was a must read. I have 3 kids and did not enjoy reading about the death of not only someone else's child but also a family. I found the book sad and hard to get through. I did not feel the joy and relief that many did reading about the afterlife and how it may or may not effect life on earth. I don't remember what I read next but I am sure that it was a happy story.

message 13: by Javed (new)

Javed Hayat Alice43 wrote: "Lev_Boy wrote: "What to do after Lovely Bones?

Why?"

It was such a terribly written book u knw. :(

Viviana D. Otero Amber wrote: "I read this book in one sitting and loved it, every bit of it. And afterward I am left a little lost feeling, like thinking about how beautiful and perfect the story is, yet wanting more and not wa..."

Read The Last Child by John Hart. You will love it!

Klaudia Lev_Boy wrote: "Alice43 wrote: "Lev_Boy wrote: "What to do after Lovely Bones?

Why?"

It was such a terribly written book u knw. :("

I thought it was terribly written too. :( the movie was cool visually. I think her memoir is much, much better in comparison.

Ajeng What to do after Lovely Bones?

Don't watch the movie, for sure. There's a completely different story being told in the movie, it's not loyal to the book. The movie turned it into a crime thriller about a murderous pervert, while what I enjoyed the most from the book is the dreamy, contemplative, coming of age, grief and honesty of the family.

Cathleen i actually liked both the book and the movie....it was sad but it puts many things into perspective.. I myself have two girls and its scary to think about this but it is something that happens everyday. this is a beautiful story and so sad but he got wat was coming to him....the movie just speeds things up a bit...and yes i agree the movie does focus more on the killer and him being a pervert rather than the struggles of the family like the book does but theres only so many ways a movie can be interesting and it did tell her story..... its not the best book in the world but it wasnt terrible either just dark.

glenda I loved the book, but it broke my heart...

message 19: by Faye (new) - rated it 5 stars

Faye It made me cry.The author is pretty good in building the characters in the story that you will be attached on every single character.

Marni Not sure what to do, but what not to do is watch the movie. Felt the movie was a let down for such a well written book.

message 21: by Lisa (new) - rated it 1 star

Lisa Faye I also hated this book. So glad to hear I am not alone! I actually asked for it as a gift and could only chastise myself and the NYT Best Sellers list for the terrible gift...

Yes, after this book burn it and pick up "The Time Traveller's Wife" or "Watership Down" or "The Power of One" - something to make you think and feel.

Vincent Emery I just so happened to read The Shack right after reading The Lovely Bones. I think they compliment each other very well.

Nicole I agree that this book lacked something. Parts of it were engaging, but I never truly felt invested in the characters.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* I found the book enthralling and emotionally gripping. The movie tried to focus on the killer rather than the family and I thought failed.

Alannah I read Elswhere by Gabrielle Zavine soon after I read the Lovely Bones. It has many similarities. Elsewhere is basically about this girl who got hit by a car and she's now trapped in heaven, trying to cope with the circumstances. It's young adult, but pretty deep for a YA novel.

message 26: by Suge (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suge I read Lucky by Alice Sebold not long after I read The Lovely Bones and wow, Lucky was a pretty strong and powerful novel as well. Not only that, it was kind of depressing. I look forward to seeing what else Alice puts out there. She is an interesting writer.

Have you ever read What Dreams May Come? A bit different than the movie but a great book nevertheless.

Erika Nerdypants I also recently read "Lucky", and I have to say it was just okay for me. And I agree, depressing (which one should probably expect given the subject matter),I had ro read something frivolous afterwards.

Joanne After dragging my poor husband to see the movie, I apologized repeatedly to him. I enjoyed the book very much, but thought the movie was terrible. I kept trying to explain the missing sections to him, however there was no way to explain the emotional impact of the book to him after he saw the poor adaptation in the movie.

message 29: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Brandes "Lucky" was Sebold's personal rape story, so I can imagine "The Lovely Bones" being spurned from that experience. Both were moving but super depressing.

The movie was valuable in one way - I got to look at beautiful Mark Wahlberg for over an hour (be still my heart)!

Joanne Katy wrote: ""Lucky" was Sebold's personal rape story, so I can imagine "The Lovely Bones" being spurned from that experience. Both were moving but super depressing.

The movie was valuable in one way - I go..."

LOL, I've watched many a bad movie for similar reasons.

Leanna While I read the book I felt as if I were being drawn into the story. I felt I knew the house as the sister searched for evidence.
I will definately put Lucky on my reading list.

Sylvia Larson Lev_Boy wrote: "What to do after Lovely Bones?

lol

message 33: by Viktorija (last edited Mar 14, 2014 08:54AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Viktorija Lev_Boy wrote: "What to do after Lovely Bones?

Word.

Nicole Steven wrote: "Amber wrote: "What to do after The Lovely Bones"

Find a better book to read."

Ha! How about Her Fearful Symmetry: A Novel? It's ghostly and it's a better book.