Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > bookshelf rename: a small bug

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bricoleur (David) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:23PM) (new)

Bricoleur  (David) Soul (Bricoleur) | 53 comments I inadvertently tried to rename a bookshelf to a name that already existed -- the "old" bookshelf was deleted (and all book entires had the shelf information removed) but the books did not show up in the shelf that already existed.

My own preferred fix would be a dialogue asking if the books should be merged with the pre-existing shelf or the operation canceled. Second choice would be just to cancel the operation with an error message but (i.e. just not lose the existing shelf information).

message 2: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:24PM) (new)

Otis Chandler | 4184 comments Mod
Hi David,

We played around with this and it all looks like its working as it should. What was the name of the shelf you renamed to?

message 3: by Bricoleur (David) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:24PM) (new)

Bricoleur  (David) Soul (Bricoleur) | 53 comments Otis:
Thanks to my backup, I had the information to go back in and create a shelf with the "new name" and populate it manually with the books.

I've since renamed both the target shelf I renamed to and the new shelf so I doubt there is much for you to track.

I'll set up a small test to see if I can recreate and then point you to it....

message 4: by Bricoleur (David) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

Bricoleur  (David) Soul (Bricoleur) | 53 comments Otis:
results of my new test....no real problem appears but there is an interesting artifact that may have led to my erroneous conclusion wrt to first post:

For the new test I set up two new shelves:
"00000_shelf_to_be renamed (2)"
"00000_target_shelf_for_rename (1) "

Then I used the "rename" facility to rename the first to the second and ended up showing just the target shelf:

"00000_target_shelf_for_rename (2)" that is, showing 2 books only (it should have been 3 - the original 1 plus 2 additional as part of the rename).

I clicked on the shelf name and found all 3 books to be the shelf, returning to the "edit shelves page and refreshing the browser, the display was updated to

"00000_target_shelf_for_rename (3)" as it should be... so all is well, but the intermediate display looked like the book count wasn't updated ...

-and yes I have screen snapshots in case you should doubt my sanity as I did my own :)

I apologize for the wild goose chase... I'm usually better at tracking down exact symptoms before I squawk...

message 5: by rivka, librarian moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

rivka | 12272 comments Mod
That happens any time you shelve books on an existing shelf. It takes switching shelves to update the counters for each shelf.

message 6: by Bricoleur (David) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

Bricoleur  (David) Soul (Bricoleur) | 53 comments Rivka:
Right, I've believe I've seen that too, but this is slightly different .... the shelf counter was incremented by 1 not by the 2 it should have been before I switched shelves...

I might have quickly grasped it(indeed expected it)if it the counter unchanged and the system needed at least a browser refresh (if not shelf change) to show the new count but I wouldn't have expected it to be changed to an invalid count before subsequently being corrected by a switch in shelves or refresh.

At any rate, all seems fine now and the artifact isn't troublesome enough to be of any great concern.

message 7: by rivka, librarian moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

rivka | 12272 comments Mod
Huh.

That is weird.

message 8: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

Otis Chandler | 4184 comments Mod
So what I think happened is we kept the shelf with the count "2" and removed the other one. And as you noticed we didn't correct the count when merging, so you had to click into the shelf to make it correct itself.

So we'll add some code to update the count when merging, so we don't confuse anyone else!