Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Challenges of Yesteryear > Disney Princess Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,243 (1243 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25

message 1: by Sashana (last edited Jul 24, 2012 12:07PM) (new)

Sashana descriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescription
By retouching pictures and using photo manipulation, graphic design student Jirka Väätäinen has modernized the classic Disney Princess by making them 'come alive.' He is very much the inspiration behind this challenge; after seeing his work on Shine I immediately knew I had to use his beautiful pictures somehow- the result is this challenge, which I hope you guys will enjoy. To view more of Jirka's work check out his Facebook Page or blog (which is hype-linked above).
Easy 1 - 3 books
Moderate 4 - 8
Difficult 9+ books
Time Limit: None! (Take as long as you want)
description description description
Pocahontas:
Read a book where the protagonist is Native American, loves nature, or displays shamanic powers. You can also read a retelling of Pocahontas.

Princess Jasmine:
from Aladdin
Read a book where the protagonist is of Arabic descent or is named Jasmine. You can also read a retelling of Aladdin.

Snow White:
Read a book where the protagonist has fair skin and dark hair. Or read a book where the protagonist is German (or of German descent). Read a book where the protagonist has many male friends. You can also read a retelling of Snow White.

Aurora:
more commonly known as Sleeping Beauty
Read a book where the protagonist has a curse placed upon her at birth. Or read a book where the main character is unaware of her biological family or where she comes from. You can also read a retelling of Sleeping Beauty.

Mulan:
Read a book where the protagonist is Chinese (or of Chinese descent), she must also be able to kick some serious ass. Read a book where the protagonist disguises herself as a man or enlists in the army.

Ariel:
from The Little Mermaid
Read a book where the protagonist has red hair, has a lot of sisters, or is a mermaid. Or read a book where the protagonist frequently disobeys her father. You can also read a retelling of The Little Mermaid.

Belle:
from Beauty and the Beast
Read a book where the protagonist loves books and reading. Read a book about a protagonist who adores her father or falls in love with a man who is not handsome (he can have scars, be it emotional or physical) or is temperamental . You can also read a retelling of Beauty and the Beast.

Esmeralda:
from The Hunchback of Notre-Dame
Read a book where the protagonist is a Gypsy or read a book where the character has a pet goat (this should be interesting). You can also read a retelling of The Hunchback of Notre-Dame.

Megara:
from Hercules
Read a book where the protagonist has a low opinion of men and is cynical about love. You can also read a retelling of Hercules.

Tiana:
from The Princess and the Frog
Read a book where the protagonist is African American, takes place in New Orleans, or is a waitress or an excellent cook.You can also read a retelling The Princess and the Frog.

Cinderella
Read a book about someone who has an evil stepmother, or read a book about someone who has had a difficult life but perseveres with the help of love. You can also read a retelling of Cinderella.

Rapunzel:
Read a book where the MC has really long hair or read a book where the MC was kidnapped. You can also read a retelling of Rapunzel.

Alice
Read a book where the protagonist lives in a dream world or discovers an alternate (fantasy) world; read a book where the protagonist defies a monarch (preferably a queen). You can also read a retelling of Alice in Wonderland.

Jane
from Tarzan
Read a book where the protagonist is an artist; set in Africa or in a rural (out of reach) area; read a book that has a vibrant yellow cover or features someone on the cover dressed in yellow. You can also read a retelling of Tarzan.

Tinker Bell
from Peter Pan
Read a book where the protagonist is a fairy ( not to be mistaken with a faerie ). Or, because Tinker Bell doesn't speak, read a book where the protagonist is very shy or has problems communicating . You can also read a retelling of Peter Pan (but it has to feature a Tinker Bell).

descriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescription
descriptiondescriptiondescription description

message 2: by The UHQ Nasanta (last edited Oct 28, 2014 04:11PM) (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments That's some awesome work he's done! Love the pictures! And great challenge!

Joining! But...

Question: What's the duration?

Edit: Thanks, Sashana! Then I'm going to try for Difficult. :D

Level: Difficult
Duration: unlimited

Snow White fair skin and dark hair, where the protagonist has many male friends -
The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer 11/22/11

Esmeralda where the character has a pet goat -
Nearly a Lady by Alissa Johnson 12/2/11

Cinderella Read a book about someone who has an evil stepmother. You can also read a retelling of Cinderella. -
A Kiss at Midnight by Eloisa James 12/27/11

Ariel Read a book where the protagonist has red hair -
Gift of Magic by Lynn Kurland 12/30/11

Tiana Read a book where the protagonist is African American -
The Bite of Silence by Mary Hughes 5/29/12

Alice Read a book where the protagonist lives in a dream world -
The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley 7/13/12

Belle Read a book where the protagonist loves books and reading. Read a book about a protagonist who adores her father -
The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig 10/7/12

Aurora Read a book where the main character is unaware of her biological family or where she comes from. -
Dreamspinner by Lynn Kurland 1/23/13

Rapunzel Read a book where the MC was kidnapped -
The Twelve Clues of Christmas by Rhys Bowen 1/25/13

Jane Read a book where the protagonist is in a rural (out of reach) area. -
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum 2/8/13

Mulan Protagonist is Chinese - The Perilous Life of Jade Yeo by Zen Cho 11/29/13

Megara Cynical about love - Thief of Shadows by Elizabeth Hoyt 1/16/14

Tinker Bell fairy; shy; problems communicating - Lirael by Garth Nix 10/28/14

Pocahontas Read a book where the protagonist is Native American, or displays shamanic powers -

Princess Jasmine Arabic -

message 3: by Sashana (last edited Nov 06, 2011 02:45PM) (new)

Sashana Thanks! There is no timeline, Niquae. You set your pace (I should probably add that in there, huh?). Good luck!

message 4: by Lisa Kay (last edited Mar 19, 2012 02:42PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Wow! Love the pics. I'm in. I'm going for one each, maybe two.

descriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescription
NBRC: ~ Disney Princess Reading Challenge ~

I will indicate I have completed all four books for a Princess by putting a ♕ by her name.

Titles in bold indicated chunksters > 450 pages.

❀ Indicates "re-reads" via audio.

Ran out of room, so I had to put this in two posts: Updated Posts #579 & #580 = 24/56

19/56

Pocahontas: (3/4)
protagonist is Native American
1. ✔ Blood Bound, by Patricia Briggs ★★★★½ AD & OneClickDigital 11/17; “buddy read”
2. ✔ Iron Kissed, by Briggs, Patricia ★★★★✩ OneClickDigital 2/1 “buddy read”
3. ✔ Bone Crossed, by Patricia Briggs ★★★★✩ OneClickDigital 3/3 “buddy read”
4. River Marked, by Patricia Briggs
Alternates:
Naked Edge, by Pamela Clare (need to order)
Promise Canyon, by Robyn Carr (OneClick audio)

Blood Bound (Mercedes Thompson, #2) by Patricia Briggs Iron Kissed (Mercedes Thompson, #3) by Patricia Briggs Bone Crossed (Mercedes Thompson, #4) by Patricia Briggs River Marked (Mercy Thompson, #6) by Patricia Briggs A. Naked Edge (I-Team, #4) by Pamela Clare Promise Canyon (Virgin River, #13) by Robyn Carr

Jasmine: (0/4)
protagonist is of Arabic descent
5. Desert Rose -- English Moon, by Claudette Williams (PB)
protagonist named Jasmine
6. Shotgun Wedding, by Susan Rogers Cooper (OneClickDigital)
7. The Australian's Marriage Demand, byMelanie Milburne (need to find copy)
8. The Temptation of the Night Jasmine , by Lauren Willig (OneClickDigital)
Alternates:
Haunting Jasmine, by Anjali Banerjee (Library, HC)
Baby Momma Drama, by Carl Weber (OneClickDigital)
A Tapestry of Hope, by Tracie Peterson (OneClickDigital)

Desert Rose -- English Moon by Claudette Williams Shotgun Wedding (Sheriff Milt Kovak, #9) by Susan Rogers Cooper The Australian's Marriage Demand by Melanie Milburne The Temptation of the Night Jasmine (Pink Carnation, #5) by Lauren Willig A. Haunting Jasmine by Anjali Banerjee Baby Momma Drama by Carl Weber A Tapestry of Hope by Tracie Peterson

Snow White: (2/4)
protagonist has fair skin and dark hair
9.  ✔ Scandalous Desires, by Elizabeth Hoyt ★★★★★ & a Wow! PB 12/28
10. ✔In Bed with a Highlander, by Maya Banks ★★★✩✩ PB 1/5
11. Silk Is for Seduction, by Loretta Chase (Library PB)

Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane #3) by Elizabeth Hoyt In Bed with a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #1) by Maya Banks Silk Is for Seduction (The Dressmakers, #1) by Loretta Chase

Aurora: (0/4)
retelling of Sleeping Beauty
13. Sleeping Beauty, by Judith Ivory (OneClickDigital)
14. The Sleeping Beauty Proposal, by Sarah Strohmeyer (library-"deadtree")
heroine has a curse placed on her
15. Beautiful Creatures , Kami Garcia (iPod/Touch)
16. Immortal Rider, by Larissa Ione (PB)

Sleeping Beauty by Judith Ivory The Sleeping Beauty Proposal by Sarah Strohmeyer Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1) by Kami Garcia Immortal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, #2) by Larissa Ione

Mulan: (0/4)
protagonist is Chinese (or of Chinese descent)
17. Mind Game, by Christine Feehan (PB & OD audio)
18. Along the River: A Chinese Cinderella Novel, by Adeline Yen Mah (Library e-book)
protagonist is Chinese (or of Chinese descent)& disguises herself as a boy
19. Eon: Dragoneye Reborn , by Alison Goodman (Library CDs)
protagonist disguises herself as a man
20. The Iron Rose, by Marsha Canham (PB)

Mind Game (GhostWalkers, #2) by Christine Feehan Along the River A Chinese Cinderella Novel by Adeline Yen Mah Eon Dragoneye Reborn (Eon, #1) by Alison Goodman The Iron Rose (Dante Pirates, #2) by Marsha Canham

Ariel: (0/4)
retelling of The Little Mermaid
21. The Last Mermaid , by Shana Abé (OneClickDigital)
22. Ripple, by Mandy Hubbard (need to order)
protagonist has red hair
23. At the Bride Hunt Ball, by Olivia Parker (Library e-book)
24. Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night, by Kresley Cole (AD)
Alternate:
Water Bound, by Christine Feehan (OD audio)

The Last Mermaid by Shana Abé Ripple by Mandy Hubbard At the Bride Hunt Ball (Devine & Friends, #1) by Olivia Parker Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night (Immortals After Dark, #4) by Kresley Cole A. Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1) by Christine Feehan

Belle: (1/4)
retelling of Beauty and the Beast
25. ✔ Texas Destiny, by Lorraine Heath ★★★★★ HC 11/18 “buddy read”
26. When Beauty Tamed the Beast, byEloisa James (Loupe=transfer to iPod/touch)
27. Beast, by Judith Ivory (OneClickDigital)
protagonist loves books & reading
28. Scandal in Spring, by Lisa Kleypas
Alternate:
Inkheart , by Cornelia Funke (OneClickDigital)

Texas Destiny (Texas Trilogy, #1) by Lorraine Heath When Beauty Tamed the Beast (Fairy Tales, #2) by Eloisa James Beast by Judith Ivory Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4) by Lisa Kleypas A. Inkheart (Inkheart, #1) by Cornelia Funke

Esmerelda: (0/4)
protagonist is a Gypsy
29. Bel Ria: Dog of War, by Sheila Burnford (OneClickDigital)
30. The Present, by Johanna Lindsey (OD audio)
31. A Forbidden Love, by Alexandra Benedict (need copy)
character has a pet goat
32. Nearly a Lady, by Alissa Johnson (need copy)

Bel Ria Dog of War by Sheila Burnford The Present (Malory Family, #6) by Johanna Lindsey A Forbidden Love by Alexandra Benedict Nearly a Lady by Alissa Johnson

Megara: (1/4)
like Megara, protagonist is soulless
33. ✔ Blameless, by Gail Carriger ★★★★½ AD 11/6 “buddy read”;
34. Timeless, by Gail Carriger (pre-ordered)
protagonist is cynical about love
35. Head Over Heels, by Jill Shalvis (need to order)
36. Provocative in Pearls, by Madeline Hunter (OneClickDigital)

Blameless (Parasol Protectorate, #3) by Gail Carriger Timeless (Parasol Protectorate, #5) by Gail Carriger Head Over Heels (Lucky Harbor, #3) by Jill Shalvis Provocative in Pearls (The Rarest Blooms #2) by Madeline Hunter

Tiana: (1/4)
protagonist is a waitress
37. ✔ Defying the Odds, by Kele Moon ★★★★✩ Kindle 2/12
protagonist is African American
38. Lust, Loathing and a Little Lip Gloss, by Kyra Davis (PB)
39. The Help , by Kathryn Stockett (PB & iPod/Touch)
protagonist is a good cook
40. The Sweetest Thing, by Jill Shalvis (PB)

Defying the Odds (Battered Hearts, #1) by Kele Moon Lust, Loathing and a Little Lip Gloss (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery #4) by Kyra Davis The Help by Kathryn Stockett The Sweetest Thing (Lucky Harbor, #2) by Jill Shalvis

Cinderella: (1/4)
a modern retelling of Cinderella
41. ✔ On the Edge, by Ilona Andrews ★★★★★ PB 1/21
42. Cinder, by Marissa Meyer (Library, waitlist#4)
43. The Cinderella Deal, by Jennifer Crusie (OD audio & PB)

On the Edge (The Edge, #1) by Ilona Andrews Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer The Cinderella Deal by Jennifer Crusie

Rapunzel: (4/4)
heroine is kidnapped
45. ✔ As You Desire, by Connie Brockway ★★★★¼ Kindle 12/28; “buddy read”
has really long hair
46. ✔ Visions of Heat, by Nalini Singh ★★★★✩ PB 2/1
47. ✔ Mine Till Midnight, by Lisa Kleypas ★★★★★ audible.com 2/27
kidnapped & has really long hair
48. ✔ The Prize, by Julie Garwood ★★★★½ OneClickDigital 3/8
Alternate:
The Lion's Lady, by Julie Garwood (PB)

As You Desire (Braxton, #1) by Connie Brockway Visions of Heat (Psy-Changeling, #2) by Nalini Singh Mine Till Midnight (The Hathaways, #1) by Lisa Kleypas The Prize by Julie Garwood A. The Lion's Lady (Crown's Spies, #1) by Julie Garwood

Alice from Alice in Wonderland: (4/4)
protagonist defys a Queen
49. ✔ Heartless, by Gail Carriger ★★★★★ AD 12/19
50. ✔ Silver Borne, by Patricia Briggs ★★★★½ OD audio 3/5
protagonist discovers an alternate (magical) world
51. ✔ Scoundrel, by Zoe Archer ★★★★½ PB 2/18
52. ✔ Clockwork Angel , by Cassandra Clare ★★★★★ audible.com 03/01/12 “buddy read”

Heartless by Gail Carriger Silver Borne (Mercedes Thompson, #5) by Patricia Briggs Scoundrel (The Blades of the Rose, #2) by Zoe Archer Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1) by Cassandra Clare

Jane from Tarzan (2/4)
heroine is a glass artist
53. ✔ Rainshadow Road, by Lisa Kleypas ★★★★★ PB-AVR 1/27
54. ✔❀ Rainshadow Road, by Lisa Kleypas ★★★★★ audible.com 3/3 “buddy read”
55. Born in Fire, by Nora Roberts (OD audio) (waitlisted, #1)
yellow dress
56. Smuggler's Lady , by Jane Feather (PB)

Rainshadow Road (Friday Harbor, #2) by Lisa Kleypas Rainshadow Road by Lisa Kleypas Born in Fire (Born In trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts Smuggler's Lady by Jane Feather

AD = Adobe Digital
HC = hardcover
OD audio = OverDrive Audio
OneClickDigital = OneClickDigital Audio
PB = paperback

message 5: by willaful (last edited Nov 07, 2012 05:40PM) (new)

willaful Oh man, I never have time for these but this one is so cute... and no timeline, so I could take as long as I wanted... oh wth, I'm in. :-)

(No Cinderella?)

12/15

Alice: Read a book where the protagonist lives in a dream world or discovers an alternate (fantasy) world; read a book where the protagonist defies a monarch (preferably a queen). You can also read a retelling of Alice in Wonderland.

Ariel: No Rest for the Wicked 11/10/11 Heroine is a Valkyrie -- lots of sisters, blood and adoptive.

Aurora: Immortal Rider 12/2/11 Heroine has a curse placed on her. Mmm, not sure it was at birth.

Belle: The Forbidden Rose 12/5/11 Hero is scary looking and thinks of himself as ugly. Heroine has a difficult, "mad genius" father. There's even a Beauty and the Beast mention, and of course the title is perfect. :-)

Cinderella: Proof by Seduction 2/1/12 Heroine has had a hard life.
Esmerelda: Summer Days Heroine has a pet goat. 7/12/12

Jasmine: Read a book where the protagonist is of Arabic descent or is named Jasmine. You can also read a retelling of Aladdin.

Jane: Trouble at the Wedding 3/30/12. Vibrant yellow cover with someone wearing yellow. I'm sure I've also read some books with artists, but I forgot to use them.

Megara: Head Over Heels 11/22/11 Heroine is cynical about love.

Mulan: Butterfly Swords 11/7/12 Kickass Chinese swordfighting heroine.

Pocahantas: The Prodigal Cowboy 8/28/12 Heroine is Native American

Rapunzel: Claimed 11/30/11 Heroine is kidnapped.

Snow White: Silk Is for Seduction 12/6/11 Heroine has dark hair and fair skin

Tiana: Willing Victim 11/15/11 Protagonist is a waitress and an excellent cook. There's even some emotional family history behind her cooking.

Tinker Bell: Read a book where the protagonist is a fairy ( not to be mistaken with a faerie ). Or, because Tinker Bell doesn't speak, read a book where the protagonist is very shy or has problems communicating . You can also read a retelling of Peter Pan (but it has to feature a Tinker Bell).

No Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark, #3) by Kresley Cole Willing Victim by Cara McKenna Head Over Heels (Lucky Harbor, #3) by Jill Shalvis Claimed (Brides of the Kindred, #1) by Evangeline Anderson Immortal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, #2) by Larissa Ione The Forbidden Rose (The Spymaster's Lady, #3) by Joanna Bourne Silk Is For Seduction (The Dressmakers, #1) by Loretta Chase Proof by Seduction (Carhart, #1) by Courtney Milan Trouble at the Wedding (Abandoned at the Altar, #3) by Laura Lee Guhrke Summer Days (Fool's Gold, #7) by Susan Mallery The Prodigal Cowboy by Kathleen Eagle Butterfly Swords (Tang Dynasty, #1) by Jeannie Lin

message 6: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Good luck, Lisa Kay and willaful. Thanks for joining the challenge :)

@willaful: He didn't do Cinderella...yet. He does them one by one so we might see Cinderella in the future. If he designs it then I'll add her to the challenge.

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 450 comments The pictures are great! And I'm a sucker for princesses...we have lunch with them every time we go to Disney World LOL I'm definitely in for this!

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments or read a book where the character has a pet goat (this should be interesting).

lol, Sashana. Does the character in question have to be a main character? Because I think that there's a secondary character in one of Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series who has a pet goat (actually, she has more than one). I forget which book it is exactly...

Or, to make it easier, maybe who tends or raises goats?

message 9: by Sashana (new)

Sashana niquae wrote: "or read a book where the character has a pet goat (this should be interesting).

lol, Sashana. Does the character in question have to be a main character? Because I think that there's a secondary c..."

Either one can work, Niquae. I figure finding a goat will be hard enough so it doesn't have to be a MC (main character).

message 10: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Susan (susayq) wrote: "The pictures are great! And I'm a sucker for princesses...we have lunch with them every time we go to Disney World LOL I'm definitely in for this!"

I love princesses too! I've never had tea with one before though :( *must go to Disney World* Good luck with the challenge, Susan.

message 11: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments I think the woman in Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier raised goats... of course, she ate them.

message 12: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Goodness, I can't remember. But I think it was either Bliss by Lynsay Sands or What She Wants by Lynsay Sands where there is a "pet" goat. Drat! Can't remember.

message 13: by Sashana (new)

Sashana FYI ABC Family is currently showing Beauty and the Beast and they'll be showing Aladdin next. (in case you wanted to take it a step farther ;)

message 14: by Kme_17 (new)

Kme_17 | 453 comments i will try easy sounds fun!

message 15: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Kme_17 wrote: "i will try easy sounds fun!"

Welcome to the challenge, Kme!

message 16: by Erin (new)

Erin I love this challenge Sashana!! I am definitely going to give it a try :)

message 17: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Thanks, Erin. Good luck :)

message 18: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments Man, the pics are damn good! I likes! I'm in. I'll post my list and level (mostly difficult) later.

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Percy Jackson series has a goat... Well a satyr, but close enough. ;)

message 20: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (kristinalawhead) I'm totally in for this! I am obsessed with Disney!

message 21: by DJ =^^= (new)

DJ =^^= (debzee) oooohhhhh I am in this challenge! I love anything Disney. The princess challenge is great & unique :) I will update later-have to look for books to fit this challenge <3

message 22: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Good luck Vi, Kristina, and Deb!

message 23: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Natasha, you don't have to read 40 books for moderate (though I admire you for even thinking of tackling that many!). You only have to read 4-8 books. Select one characteristic out of everything I listed for each Princess.

message 24: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Okay, I just wanted to make sure that you knew that you don't have to read that many books. For example for Pocahontas you could read a book about a Native American and be done with that Princess. For Ariel you could read a book about a mermaid and be done with that Princess. You don't have to read all the characteristics I mentioned- I just wanted to give you guys options. But you can still do it your way.

message 25: by Kme_17 (last edited Oct 13, 2012 06:55PM) (new)

Kme_17 | 453 comments Pocahontas:
Flight of the Raven

Princess Jasmine:
from Aladdin
Read a book where the protagonist is of Arabic descent or is named Jasmine. You can also read a modern retelling of Aladdin.

Snow White:
Read a book where the protagonist has fair skin and dark hair. Or read a book where the protagonist is German (or of German descent). Read a book where the protagonist has many male friends. You can also read a modern retelling of Snow White.

Aurora:
The Thirteenth Tale

Mulan:
Somewhere Inside: One Sister's Captivity in North Korea and the Other's Fight to Bring Her Home

Ariel:
from The Little Mermaid The Evil Inside

Belle: from Beauty and the Beast The Memory Palace

Esmeralda:
Read a book where the protagonist is a Gypsy or read a book where the character has a pet goat (this should be interesting). You can also read a modern retelling of The Hunchback of Notre-Dame.

Megara: from Hercules
Redeeming Love

Tiana: Permission Slips: Every Woman's Guide to Giving Herself a Break

message 26: by Sashana (last edited Nov 08, 2011 11:14AM) (new)

Sashana Natasha wrote: "Thanks. I like reading multiple for books for challenge options since I like challenges way too much and finishing all of them is a challenge in itself. :P"

Ahhh, the go big or go home mentality. Gotta love it :)

message 27: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (disney4me) | 32 comments This is fantastic! And as I'm a HUGH Disney fan, I LOVE the art work. I can't wait to show my hubby and the rest of the family! Wonderful challenge, Sashana!

So, of course, I'm in.
Level: Difficult
Duration: Unlimited

Books to read: Will post later

message 28: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Thanks, Melinda! Good luck with the challenge. I hope your family enjoys the pictures as much as I do.

message 29: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (spalkiry) Oh, that's a lovely idea! The pictures are indeed beautiful, I can see how they inspired you! If I figure out what I could read I'm going to join! Good luck to you all and have fun with the challenge :)!

message 30: by Maria (new)

Maria (marisha0111) | 2 comments Disney Princess Reading Challenge
Level: Difficult 9+
Books Read: 0/10
Updated: 11/11/11

Pocahontas

Princess Jasmine

Snow White

Aurora

Mulan

Ariel

Belle

Esmeralda

Megara

The Princess and the Frog

message 31: by Sashana (last edited Nov 28, 2011 01:26PM) (new)

Sashana Hi everyone, thanks for showing an interest in this challenge. I wanted to let you guys know (in case you didn't notice) that Cinderella has been added to the challenge! Enjoy :)
description

message 32: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments Yay! Had a Cinderella retelling (not modern but Regency okay?) that I've had on my TBR pile to read.

message 33: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Any retelling will do. I'll edit the criteria tomorrow (I'm on my iTouch so I can't do it right now).

message 34: by A_Vishous_Fan (new)

A_Vishous_Fan | 46 comments Disney Princess Reading Challenge
Moderate 4
Time Limit: None!

Pocahontas:

Princess Jasmine:

Snow White:

Aurora:

Mulan:

Ariel:

Belle:

Esmeralda:

Megara:
from Hercules

Tiana:

Cinderella:

message 35: by A_Vishous_Fan (new)

A_Vishous_Fan | 46 comments I have a question or two . Right now I'm reading Here to Stay by Debra Webb and the male protagonist is Native American can it count for pocahontas. Last week I finish reading a book were the female protagonist had two sisters could that count toward the part about ariel having a lot of sisters. And for the first question I have another one
do the protagonist of the stories have to be females.
The answer might be obvious(sp?)but would you mind helping me with this question. Thank you so much.Btw,
I love this challenge. Thanks.

message 36: by Sashana (last edited Nov 12, 2011 02:26PM) (new)

Sashana A_Vishous_Fan wrote: "I have a question or two . Right now I'm reading Here to Stay by Debra Webb and the male protagonist is Native American can it count for pocahontas. Last week I finish reading a book were th..."

I would prefer if the protagonist were female but I don't mind much. You can count both books (the one with the Native American man and the one with two sisters). Also, check out comment #26.

message 37: by A_Vishous_Fan (new)

A_Vishous_Fan | 46 comments Thank you for your help Sashana.

message 38: by Sashana (new)

Sashana No problem :)

message 39: by Gus (new)

Gus | 1 comments I'd love to do this! I haven't done any challenges in...over a year. Yikes! I'm going to do a moderate challenge with no time limit at all :)

Pocahontas- Iron Crowned (Dark Swan, #3) by Richelle Mead (Shaman)

Snow White- Once a Witch (Witch, #1) by Carolyn MacCullough (Black hair & fair skin)

Aurora- The Gathering (Darkness Rising, #1) by Kelley Armstrong (unaware of bio family or where she's from)

Ariel- Carrier of the Mark  by Leigh Fallon (red hair)

Megara- Ripple by Mandy Hubbard (cynical about love)

Tiana- Burn Bright (Night Creatures, #1) by Marianne de Pierres (African American protagonist)

message 40: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Glad to have you back, Gus. :) Good luck and have fun with your challenge! You got some good books there.

message 41: by The UHQ Nasanta (last edited Nov 12, 2011 08:13PM) (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments For female Native American protagonists,

there is a children's book by Scott O'Dell called Island of the Blue Dolphins followed by the sequel, Zia. He wrote Thunder Rolling in the Mountains. I really liked them when I was a child. There's also Sing Down the Moon which I've never read.

The Urban Fantasy series, The Walker Papers, by C.E. Murphy has a female protagonist who is half Native American and half Irish. First book is Urban Shaman.

Paranormal romance writer Sherrilyn Kenyon's Night Embrace, the 2nd of the Dark-Hunter series, has a female heroine who is Native American.

And this list just reminded me that I still have the latest Walker Papers to read, which means I have a book for the Pocahontas category. teehee! :D

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Stormwalker (Stormwalker, #1) by Allyson James by Allyson James has a heroine that is half native american for anyone looking for a book for the Pocahontas category

message 43: by Susan (susayq ~) (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 450 comments NBRC- Disney Princess Challenge

1/11

Pocahontas
Jasmine
Snow White
Aurora
Mulan
Ariel
Belle
Texas Destiny by Lorraine Heath
Esmeralda
Megara
Tiana
Cinderella

Read:

Texas Destiny (Texas Trilogy, #1) by Lorraine Heath

message 44: by Auriella (new)

Auriella (castleonacloud) I too am joining the challenge! I am running to my computer to research the books I will choose as soon as my laundry is dry and hung... which hopefully is very soon!

message 45: by Auriella (last edited Jun 15, 2012 10:00PM) (new)

Auriella (castleonacloud) Difficult
Time Limit: before 12/31/12

♚Pocahontas:
Read a book where the protagonist loves nature:
Paper Towns by John Green Paper Towns by John Green

♚Princess Jasmine:
Read a book where the protagonist is named Jasmine:
Jasmine by Barbara Kevin Jasmine by Barbara Kevin

♚Snow White:
Read a book where the protagonist has many male friends.
Eternal Eden (Eden Trilogy #1) by Nicole Williams Eternal Eden by Nicole Williams

♚Aurora:
Read a book where the main character is unaware of her biological family or where she comes from:
The Violets of March by Sarah Jio The Violets of March by Sarah Jio.

♚Mulan:
Read a book where the protagonist is Chinese (or of Chinese descent), she must also be able to kick some serious ass:
Chasing China; A Daughter's Quest for Truth  by Kay Bratt Chasing China by Kay Bratt

♚Ariel:
Read a book where the protagonist has red hair:
Always the Wedding Planner, Never the Bride by Sandra D. Bricker Always the Wedding Planner, Never the Bride by Sandra D. Bricker

♚Belle:
from Beauty and the Beast
Read a book where the protagonist loves books and reading:
Looking for Alaska by John Green Looking for Alaska by John Green

♚Esmeralda:
Read a book where the protagonist is a Gypsy:
Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk

♚Megara:
Read a book where the protagonist has a low opinion of men and is cynical about love:
The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender

♚Tiana:
Read a retelling of The Princess and the Frog:
Enchanted by Alethea Kontis Enchanted by Alethea Kontis

♚Cinderella
read a book about someone who has had a difficult life but perseveres with the help of love:
The Year She Fell by Alicia Rasley The Year She Fell by Alicia Rasley

♚Rapunzel:
Read a book where the MC was kidnapped:
United Eden (Eden Trilogy, #3) by Nicole Williams United Eden by Nicole Williams

♚Alice
Read a book where the protagonist lives in a dream world or discovers an alternate (fantasy) world:
A Marked Past (The Mercer Legacy #1) by Leslie Deaton A Marked Past by Leslie Deaton

♚Jane
from Tarzan
Read a book where the protagonist is an artist:
Always the Designer, Never the Bride by Sandra D. Bricker Always the Designer, Never the Bride by Sandra Bricker

message 46: by willaful (last edited Nov 18, 2011 09:00PM) (new)

willaful Not five minutes after rereading this thread and pondering the requirements, I randomly opened a book with this first line: "Cinders shall go to the ball!"

message 47: by Sashana (new)

Sashana willaful wrote: "Not five minutes after rereading this thread and pondering the requirements, I randomly opened a book with this first line: "Cinders shall go to the ball!""

It was a sign ;)

message 48: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Which book, Willa?

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 34 comments Ooh yay! This sounds fun. I probably won't start until next year but I will include any if they fit before then. I will aim read one for all or most of the princesses. :) I will take all next year.

message 50: by Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (last edited Jan 08, 2012 01:19PM) (new)

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 34 comments DISNEY PRINCESS READING CHALLENGE
DURATION: December 2011 - no limit!

Read at least one book for each princess. More if I want to. :)

Pocahontas: 0/4
protagonist is Native American
protagonist loves nature
protagonist displays shamanic powers
retelling of Pocahontas

Princess Jasmine: 0/3
protagonist is of Arabic descent
protagonist is named Jasmine
retelling of Aladdin

Snow White: 0/4
protagonist has fair skin and dark hair
protagonist is German (or of German descent)
protagonist has many male friends
retelling of Snow White.

Aurora: 0/3
protagonist has a curse placed upon her at birth
main character is unaware of her biological family or where she comes from
retelling of Sleeping Beauty

Mulan: 0/2
protagonist is Chinese (or of Chinese descent), she must also be able to kick some serious ass
protagonist disguises herself as a man or enlists in the army

Ariel: 0/4
protagonist has red hair - City of Bones
protagonist has a lot of sisters
protagonist frequently disobeys her father
retelling of The Little Mermaid.

Belle:
protagonist loves books and reading
protagonist who adores her father
falls in love with a man who is not handsome
retelling of Beauty and the Beast

Esmeralda:
Read a book where the protagonist is a Gypsy or read a book where the character has a pet goat (this should be interesting). You can also read a modern retelling of The Hunchback of Notre-Dame.

Megara:
from Hercules
Read a book where the protagonist has a low opinion of men and is cynical about love. You can also read a modern retelling of Hercules.

Tiana:
from The Princess and the Frog
a waitress/New Orleans
Dead in the Family

Cinderella 0/4
evil stepmother
someone who has had a difficult life but perseveres with the help of love
retelling of Cinderella.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.