Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '11 - '12 > Elder Races Discussions

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4054 comments This is for the discussion of Thea Harrison's Elder Races series:

Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) by Thea Harrison Storm's Heart (Elder Races, #2) by Thea Harrison Serpent's Kiss (Elder Races, #3) by Thea Harrison

Has anyone read any of them? If so what do you think?

message 2: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 536 comments I read the first and loved it. I'm planning on reading the rest of the series.

message 3: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments I read the first book and loved it. Read the second book and it just didn't live up to the first. Read the third book and it was bad. I almost gave up reading it a couple of time and it was boring.

At this time I will read the next book, but and it is a big but, it will be a make or break book for me in the series. If it is bad, then I am done with it.

message 4: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4054 comments Dragon Bound is my favorite of the series. AT first it felt like the Guild Hunters but that ended rather quickly. Dragos is his own man, I love that he has absolutely no social skills and while he has been around since forever there are things like slurpees and twizzlers that surprise him. I also liked Pia as the heroine, she was strong willed without it being a turn off and while they would butt heads about his behavior, the relationship still felt natural and warm. It was a great book.

Storm's Heartwas not as good, but I really liked Tiago the typical alpha male hero; commanding, powerful and sexy. Niniane (Tricks) for the most part I liked but there were occasions where she rather annoyed me. I guess in a way Tiago is a bit different from other alpha males because he really listened to her and accepts her at her word plus he was always putting her safety first even above his own wishes…that was rather sweet. This one did lag a bit in the middle, lucky for me I listened on audio and the reader is really awesome so I did not notice.

Serpent's Kiss I am still reading so far Rune is no longer the calm funny guy now he is ...I am not even sure but not himself or what I thought was himself anyway. Then Carling who I kind of liked before seems like this weak wilting flower. I am almost afraid to finish it because well I am sure Rune will leave Dragos, so he does Dragos even have left anymore?? Then two because I was hoping Rune would have this very equal relationship with Carling instead it seems like a set up where he will have to rescue her. I could be totally wrong but these are my concerns and I am only on chapter 5.

message 5: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4054 comments Darcy wrote: "I read the first book and loved it. Read the second book and it just didn't live up to the first. Read the third book and it was bad. I almost gave up reading it a couple of time and it was bori..."

I am with you Darcy, I think there are only two more left.

I really hate when it comes to that make or break book.

message 6: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I have to say that I'm enjoying this series so far!

I LOVED the first book, thought the second book was so-so and then the third book I really liked too. I think for me it's all about the main characters and whether I like them or not. Dragos and Rune were awesome and while I did like Tiago, there wasn't enough there for me to look past the rather boring storyline. Hopefully the next book will be like the first and third.

message 7: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments I did look to see who was in the next book and after seeing that am intrigued. It is the oracle and the dijin. I liked what we saw of them in #3.

message 8: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4054 comments Well Jess that is good news on the third. As I mentioned I am dragging my feet, sometimes I can be moody so perhaps I will love it as well.

message 9: by Rebecca (Bec) (last edited Nov 06, 2011 09:55PM) (new)

Rebecca (Bec) | 56 comments I have only just started reading this series. I am reading the second Storm's Heart at the momet.

I loved the first and Im finding, compared to alot of other series, that even though the female leads are kick arse on the surface, they are quite vunerable and needy. but the alpha males are really well written. Im really enjoying the series so far

message 10: by Steph (last edited Nov 07, 2011 01:15AM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 1573 comments I have enjoyed all three of these books. The first was spectacular, IMO. (5★) Reminded me of Nalini a bit. I enjoyed #2, just not as much as #1. (4★) The third was my least favorite, although I still enjoyed it. (4★) Rune is one of my favorite characters, so it was nice to see/learn more about him. This book felt a bit more character driven vs. action driven, but that was okay. I'm anxious to see how #4 is since it'll be about two characters we have seen little of throughout the first three. I was intrigued by the Djinn the first time we "saw" him in book 2, but I'm a bit surprised he and the Oracle will be the pair so soon. The Oracle does seem to be a fun mate for him though, two very different personalities, should prove to be a fun read.

message 11: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4506 comments That's exactly how I felt about all 3 Steph, and the ratings I gave them too.

I enjoyed the time travel type flashbacks in #3 as well, and I agree that Djinn & the Oracle look like a great pairing. Feisty.

message 12: by Steph (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 1573 comments Feisty is a perfect way to describe what I expect as well. :)

message 13: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Darcy wrote: "I did look to see who was in the next book and after seeing that am intrigued. It is the oracle and the dijin. I liked what we saw of them in #3."

I forgot that's who was going to be in it. I think that has a lot of potential!!

And Steph I think you are right that the first book was very reminiscent of Nalini Singh. Maybe that's why we all loved it so much!

message 14: by Steph (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 1573 comments Jess wrote: "And Steph I think you are right that the first book was very reminiscent of Nalini Singh. Maybe that's why we all loved it so much! "

I think so too. It was a surprise to read something that was Nalini-reminiscent b/c she (Nalini) feels to me like she's in a class all her own. But, she's (Nalini) consistently great, IMO, so Thea has her work cut out for her. :) Really enjoying Thea's series though.

message 15: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Yeah Nalini is definitely one of my favorites, everytime I read her books I go to my happy place. Although Harrison isn't quite at that level yet, I still really enjoyed what I've read from her so far.

If only all her books could be as great as the first one and then she'd be up there with some of my favorite authors.

message 16: by Steph (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 1573 comments Jess wrote: "If only all her books could be as great as the first one and then she'd be up there with some of my favorite authors. "

I agree.

message 17: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4054 comments Steph wrote: "Jess wrote: "If only all her books could be as great as the first one and then she'd be up there with some of my favorite authors. "

I agree."

Me too!

message 18: by Deandri (new)

Deandri Meiring (daandie) | 10 comments I loved the first one! was really assume. The second one was great but i was a little disappointed as I was expecting it to grab me as the first one did. Right now I'm scared to read the 3rd one, I'm afraid it will put me off the series.

message 19: by Deandri (new)

Deandri Meiring (daandie) | 10 comments Dawn wrote: "Steph wrote: "Jess wrote: "If only all her books could be as great as the first one and then she'd be up there with some of my favorite authors. "

I agree."

Me too!"

I agree with that as well

message 20: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4506 comments Deandri wrote: "I loved the first one! was really assume. The second one was great but i was a little disappointed as I was expecting it to grab me as the first one did. Right now I'm scared to read the 3rd one, I..."

Don't be frightened Deandri, the 4th one is due in a couple of weeks and it looks like it might be as good as #1 (fingers crossed) so you'll need to read #3 before then.

message 21: by Rebecca (Bec) (new)

Rebecca (Bec) | 56 comments I have finished the second one, and didnt think it was all THAT bad. I have had worse! not as good as the first .. I would have to say this is one the strongest series I am reading so far...

Sandra, when is the 4th coming out?

message 22: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4506 comments Oops my bad, not till March 2012. I must of been thinking of another good book coming out soon.

Oracle's Moon (Elder Races, #4) by Thea Harrison

message 23: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 589 comments I agree too. The first was the best but I liked the third too.