Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > To-read randomizer/selector

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:23PM) (new)

Tiffany | 244 comments Okay, I don't expect this to ever be implemented on Goodreads, but wouldn't it be great if there were some sort of random selector for our to-read list? Sometimes I need a book to read, but can't decide which one I want. It would be fun if I could click on my to-read shelf, click some random "Choose my next book" button, and have Goodreads decide for me which book to read. :)

message 2: by Matt (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:24PM) (new)

Matt Mazenauer (provlear) | 9 comments Sounds like you have decision-phobia just like me!

message 3: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:24PM) (new)

Otis Chandler | 4184 comments Mod
I agree it would be fun if we could make an algorithm that answered the question "what should I read next?". But I think it will take quit a while for us to get there :)

message 4: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

Tiffany | 244 comments Matt - Not only decision-phobia, but when you have almost 200 books to read, it's hard to pick one!

Otis - Yeah, I figured my personal indecision wouldn't rank high on your list of things to do :) Maybe I just need to find a 175-sided die.

message 5: by rivka, librarian moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

rivka | 12278 comments Mod
A plain old 6-sider will do the trick if you roll it three times.

6 x 6 x 6 = 216

message 6: by Grumpus (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

Grumpus | 49 comments If you have Excel you could use the RANDBETWEEN function to generate a random number and then go back to the corresponding book.

Its easy, in any Excel cell type: =RANDBETWEEN(1,175) where 1 is the lowest possible number you want generated and the 175 would be the highest.