Penny for Your Thoughts discussion

Pennies > Self-Roleplay

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 415 comments Mod
Here, you roleplay as yourself. Pretty simple. Third person, using your name as the character's. The landscape might change from time to time, but for now, we'll start with . . .

A nice, warm spring day at the park. Benches abound and there's a sparkling, glassy lake to the east. The sun is high overhead, but the birds are oddly quiet for this time of day.

Just roleplay. No roleplay rules, no limits, no plot. This is where you can shape up your writing, chill, have some laid-back fun, et cetera. Just make sure you follow the rules of the group :D. There's no such thing as a free lunch, you know!

message 2: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

Magdalena sat herself down on a bench near the lake, cracking open her copy of The Count of Monte Cristo and soon becoming lost in the pages. The bright sun might have bothered her eyes a bit, but she didn't seem to care.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 06, 2011 01:03PM) (new)

Faith sat by shore of the lake with her feet in the water. Her ear-buds were blasting an a capella cover of ET as she sat back, enjoying the scenery.

message 4: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (last edited Nov 06, 2011 01:03PM) (new)

[a capella.]

Magdalena jumped a bit as the voice awoke her from her novel, then waved Gwyn over, smiling at the sight of her friend. She patted a seat on the bench beside her, replacing her bookmark--a small tulip petal, pressed and mounted on thick paper-- and grinning widely.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

[Thanks.]

message 6: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

[You're welcome]

message 7: by Rudy (last edited Nov 06, 2011 01:54PM) (new)

Rudy | 484 comments ((This is genius))

Rudyards lay on a small, grassy hill, propping his head up with his hands, staring at the sky. The clouds were beautiful today.

message 8: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

[May have been inspired by my group browsing, but I don't think I've seen anything quite like this in another group. Thanks, Rudy.]

"I've been fine. You?" Maggie asked, smiling her sweet smile. Her fingers absently twisted the necklace around her neck as she slipped the novel into her coat pocket.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

As a small breeze blew Faith's hair towards the south, she reached in her tote bag, pulling out Dealing with Dragons by Patricia Wrede. She lay back on the sand, flipping to the fourth chapter, where she left off.

message 10: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

[GAH! I LOVE those books!]

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

[They could easily be my favorite.]

message 12: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

Maggie waved Thera over, shouting a loud hello of her own. "Thera! Nice to see you here, too!"

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Hearing a sudden outburst, Faith glanced up to see Maggie, Thera, and Gwyn. She smiled and threw her things into her bag, skipping happily over to the threesome.
"Hey guys," She shouted midway.

message 14: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

"Going good, on a day like this," Maggie said, gesturing towards the pastel sky.

[Dinnertime!]

message 15: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

Maggie waved at Faith, too. The park sure was popular on a day like this. "I wish I could skateboard," Maggie said wistfully, pointing at Thera's board, "I'm always afraid I'm gonna fall off."

message 16: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

[I can't either. ^_^]

"My brother tried telling me it was like learning to ride a bike. I don't buy it," Maggie said, shaking her head slightly so that her simple ponytail bounced side to side.

message 17: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

"I think he was talking about allthe falls that go with it." Magdalena smiled. "but you seem to be getting the hang of it."

message 18: by Ada (new)

Ada (caladhieledhel-mellon) ((Brilliance!))

Helen, meanwhile, forsook the park benches for a comfortable perch in the branches of a tree. Of course she had a book with her, but at the moment was less-than-inclined to read it. Haikus drifted through her mind like clouds, billowing from nothing and vanishing again.

Like Daedylus,
bird falls from the sky, but does
anyone notice?

Deciding that mythology references are so two centuries out of fashion, she leaned backwards until she was practically hanging by her knees and let the wind balter her long golden hair.

message 19: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

Maggie nodded approvingly, twirling her ponytail absentmindedly. The sun had already made her hair warm to the touch, as if it had been set in an oven at low heat. It smelled faintly of watermelon, making her smile at the scent. Watermelon was one of her favorites.

message 20: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

"What is it?" Maggie asked, at the same time watching another girl, one with long blonde hair, hanging from a tree branch. What was she doing?

[All righty. It's bedtime for me--I'll be zonked out from NyQuil anytime now. *_* G'night!]

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

"Seriously? I love Linkin park." Faith had been listening, lost in a daydream until the previous statement.

message 22: by Crowleaf (new)

Crowleaf Mystery sat on the grass, pulling out a peice or two every once in a while and tied them into knots. When he got bored of that, he laid down and started counting the leaves on the tree next to him.

message 23: by Ada (new)

Ada (caladhieledhel-mellon) Helen noticed several upside-down humans having a discussion nearby. That is, from her perspective they were upside-down. She recognized Thera, and one of the others looked vaguely familiar, but the others were more or less strangers to her. Grabbing the branch with her hands and clutching the paperback in her teeth, she flipped down and landed with a light thump in the grass. She meandered over to the small group, waiting for an opportunity to jump into the conversation.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

"Yeah. My favorite song I've heard by them is actually the one you told me about! Breaking the Habit has climbed rapidly on my list." As she babbled about Linkin Park, her face lit up, happy to be a part of the conversation.

message 25: by Ada (new)

Ada (caladhieledhel-mellon) Helen returned the smile gratefully. "Oh, middling, middling. And how are you all doing?" she asked, tipping her head slightly to one side.

((Hah- I really do talk like that.))

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Faith grinned wildly. "Hello!" Her voice even showed her wild excitement over everything.

message 27: by Ada (new)

Ada (caladhieledhel-mellon) "Hi, Faith, very pleased to meet you!" The wire of Helen's retainer gleamed in the sunlight as she smiled and shook Faith's hand. "Maggie, don't I know you from somewhere?"

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Amara sat on a bench a few feet away, out of sight but listening to the conversation. She pushed the glasses on her pale face up a few inches, thick frames surrounding green eyes.

message 29: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

Helen wrote: ""Hi, Faith, very pleased to meet you!" The wire of Helen's retainer gleamed in the sunlight as she smiled and shook Faith's hand. "Maggie, don't I know you from somewhere?""

"Yes, I do think we've met before. Jog my memory, but it was something to do with elves, correct?" Maggie answered, then tilted her head in concentration. Her light blue eyes mirrored the color of the sky at the moment as she stared thoughtfully into the cloudless blue.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Amara smiled at the thought of elves. Like in The Hobbit.....I wonder how they would act..... She repositioned herself, long shirt rustling.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

"Hello." Amara smiled awkwardly, not a one for groups. She started over to the group, hair catching the light, golds and auburns appearing in the brown ponytail. "How are you?"

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

"Ummm....cool?" Amara laughed, still with a twinge of awkwardness, but more at ease with her friend. "What's this about elves? Lord of The Rings, like?" She asked curiously.

message 33: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

"I'm not sure if it was Lord of the Rings or even Dungeons & Dragons, Amara," Maggie started, still trying to remember, "but I know I've seen Helen's face somewhere before. I'm just not sure where."

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

"I've only read The Hobbit. But, they are great." Amara smiled. She looked down at the board. "You skate?" She asked.

message 35: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

"No, I think it was from something a looong time ago. I'm almost positive it had something to do with elves and Dungeons and Dragons." Maggie explained, shrugging as she searched her memory.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

"Who, Helen and I? I met Maggie when I joined CAD." Amara answered. "I always liked the elves and fairies sort of thing." She smiled at Maggie.

message 37: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (last edited Nov 07, 2011 04:38PM) (new)

Magdalena suddenly snapped her fingers. "I've got it! It wasn't Dungeons and Dragons at all, it was Warhammer!" she turned to Helen and grinned. "I met you through a group my cousin was in, didn't I?"

((http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/4... Found it! I knew it the minute you joined Pennies, I think, I just thought you were a different Helen.))

message 38: by Ada (new)

Ada (caladhieledhel-mellon) "Tolkien," Helen declared somewhat grandly, floating on the ebullience of meeting friendly people, "is always enough. And as for Elves- well, they're certainly not the Keebler sort. Happy to meet you, Amara." She paused, trying to remember as her mind returned its attention to the first to address her. "I thought it had something to do with a plane crash on an island, but perhaps it's both. I have a horrendous memory for names," she said, all in a rush.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

"Nice to meet you, Helen." Amara whispered. She looked around at the trio of friendly faces, shyly, her own turning red. They seem nice.

message 40: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

Helen wrote: ""Tolkien," Helen declared somewhat grandly, floating on the ebullience of meeting friendly people, "is always enough. And as for Elves- well, they're certainly not the Keebler sort. Happy to meet y..."

"I've been in many a group, so don't worry. I don't remember a lot of the other people, either." Magdalena kicked off her shoes and stuffed them into her bag, relishing the feel of soft grass on her toes. In fact, it felt so good that Maggie forsook the bench for a bed of green to the left, still in the circle of friendly faces. Yes, much more comfortable.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

((FRIENDLY FACES!!))

Amara followed suit, plopping down on the green grass.

message 42: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

Absentmindedly twirling her fingers through the thick grass stalks, Maggie looked carefully into the eyes of her compadres. "So, what have you all been up to lately?" she inquired, running a long blade of green down the back of her hand. Puling it up to her lips, she positioned it between her thumbs and blew softly, producing a loud buzzing sound, like that of a kazoo. Smiling sheepishly, she apologized. "Sorry, I always forget how loud that really is."

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

"Mostly homework. Reading." Amara replied. "And I still have some to do. Ick." She wrinkled her nose.

message 44: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

Maggie wrinkled hers in sympathy. "I really should be working on some now," she admitted, grinning. "but I'd much rather spend time with you guys."

message 45: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 07, 2011 04:55PM) (new)

"I wanna be in a kazoo band!" Amara exclaimed, pure disbelief on her face. "Why do private schools get all the fun stuff?"

message 46: by Ada (new)

Ada (caladhieledhel-mellon) An abrupt guffaw of laughter escaped Helen's lips at the noise, and then she cut herself off short, a blush pulsing into her cheeks and then ebbing. "Mm, not much," she said, to cover her mild embarrassment. "School, college applications, trying to wrap up a long-running roleplay here on Goodreads, and so forth." She smiled slightly as Thera sketched away. "And you all?"

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Amara grinned. "Buzz buzz buzz!" She said softly.

message 48: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 07, 2011 05:06PM) (new)

"That takes dilligence." Amara said solemnly.

message 49: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

"Well, marching season's done," Maggie said, smiling at Helen's laugh. Surrounded at school by many people who just snickered and giggled, it felt nice to hear a genuine laugh.

"I still have piano lessons, and I might take up Tae Kwon Do again," she finished, brushing away her growing pile of picked grass. Maggie had recently noticed that whenever she was near grass, she seemed always to pluck the blades, without even thinking about it.

message 50: by Ada (new)

Ada (caladhieledhel-mellon) Magdalena (Maggie or Magtail) wrote: "Magdalena suddenly snapped her fingers. "I've got it! It wasn't Dungeons and Dragons at all, it was Warhammer!" she turned to Helen and grinned. "I met you through a group my cousin was in, didn'..."

((Oh right... Sorry, I didn't see this before I posted. I was part of this one for a little while... That must have been it. Bravo!))

« previous 1