fiction files redux discussion

About Us > Room to Read Fiction Files fundraiser

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
I was reading an article that Brock posted on the Facebook about Room to Read, an organization that brings local-language books and libraries to kids who need them. This is a really fantastic organization. Check it out: Room to Read

Books and book people are my biggest joy in life, and I know you guys feel the same way. I think this would be something really fun and rewarding to do as a group.

And so, I decided that the Fiction Files should have a fundraiser. If we raise $5,000, we can pay for a whole library!

Our fundraising page is here:
Team Page of Fiction Files

If you can't afford to donate, you can still do plenty by getting other people to donate.

I think we can do this!
Love,
Patty

message 2: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
This is the boiler plate email suggestion, if you want to request support from anyone via email. Not required, but might be helpful:

Hello:

As you might know, I am involved with a fantastic organization called Room to Read. Room to Read is an international non-profit organization focused on educating children in the developing world. The organization currently focuses its activities in nine countries, all with a desperate lack of educational resources: Bangladesh, Cambodia, India, Laos, Nepal, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Vietnam and Zambia. Since its inception in year 2000, Room to Read has impacted the lives of over 5.1 million children by:

• Building 1,000 schools;
• Establishing over 11,000 libraries;
• Publishing 533 local language children’s titles, representing over 4.8 million books;
• Donating over 3.8 million English language children’s books;
• Funding 10,000 long-term girls’ scholarships.

As members of a global community, we must recognize literacy as a major challenge that has to be tackled in our lifetime if we are to eliminate poverty, improve human well being, and build a more peaceful and prosperous world. With over 774 million illiterate people in the world, the need to think big and act quickly is clear. I hope you will join me in partnering with Room to Read to provide the life-changing gift of education to millions of children throughout Asia and Africa.

Warmly,

message 3: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
This is the NYT article that got me so enthusiastic:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/opi...

message 4: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

Kerry Dunn (kerryanndunn) | 886 comments Mod
Patty, you are so amazing! I'll send this to everyone I know!

message 5: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

I've raised $45 so far! Not bad for one morning!

message 6: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
*applause*

Hey, and as a team, we are almost 1/10th of the way to our goal, and it's only the first day! Go Fiction Files!

message 7: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (last edited Nov 08, 2011 10:14AM) (new)

Hey everyone, even if you don't want to become a fully fledged team member and raise money yourself, you can at least make a personal donation to our team goal! Every little bit helps, even as little as $10!

Click on this link to make a General Team Donation. Enter your donation amount and click "continue."

Thank you!

message 8: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

Well, my personal goal is to raise $250 and I'm over halfway there! And all I did was send emails to friends and family. It's THAT EASY! You can do it too!

message 9: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
So far so great! We've raised $560, only 4,440 to go! It's easy and it will make you feel good!

message 10: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
I'm so excited! At the end of the first week we are at almost 20% of our goal!

message 11: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
Oh and we are one of the top fundraising teams right now! We're in 3rd place!

message 12: by Matt, e-monk (new)

Matt Comito | 386 comments Mod
Mr Wood is a great guy, I'm already a donor to this very worthy organization but I'll pitch in for the team here too

message 13: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
Whoot! Thanks E!

message 14: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
Hey, Congratulations, Kerry! I just saw that you reached your personal goal for the fundraiser! You absolutely rock!

message 15: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

Thanks! My friend Anne donated $100 and moved me PAST my goal! I was so excited!

message 16: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

Now I'm even more excited! I got two more donations today after Anne's big one and am now at $360 when my goal was just $250!

message 17: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
Team Fundraising Goal: $5,000.00
Total Raised: $2,015.00

Woot! Woot!

C'mon guys, let's try to get to the half way mark before the end of the year. :)

message 18: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
Hey everyone! A very generous donor is contibuting $1 to Room to Read for every person who shares the story of how they came to love reading.

Tell your story