Science Fiction Aficionados discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly Group Read Suggestions > January Sci-Fi Masterworks Nominations

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (last edited Nov 08, 2011 08:06AM) (new)

Maggie K | 1280 comments Mod
Here is where you can nominate a classic Sci-Fi read for the group.

Any book on the Sci-Fi Masterworks list is eligible. The list can be found here: https://www.worldswithoutend.com/list...

So far:

Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang
Ubik
Dhalgren
Cities in Flight
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
The Demolished Man
The Island of Dr. Moreau
Gateway
Of Men and Monsters
Eon
The Time Machine

message 2: by G (new)

G (g_mc) list also at http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SF_Mas... if you are getting a 404 like me.

anyways, can I nominate Ubik by Philip K Dick please

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott It works for me.

message 4: by G (new)

G (g_mc) could be my phone- might not like the page.

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark Meyers (markmeyers) | 41 comments My votes:
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Time Machine and War of the Worlds
Flowers for Algernon
The Invisible Man
Ringworld
Dune
The Moon is a Hard Mistress
Hyperion

message 6: by Candiss (last edited Nov 06, 2011 12:45PM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) There are so very many great ones on this list...choosing a nomination is tough!

Although it may be one of the more challenging reads on the Masterworks list and also one of the most controversial, I'm going to throw my support of it into the ring all the same: I'll nominate Dhalgren by the deceptively-avuncular, often disturbing as a writer, said to be nice as pie fellow Samuel R. Delany - one of the too-few and best-known African American SF authors.

Its rather poetic metaphors of beginnings and endings and transitions seem perfect to me for a New Year's discussion.

Edit: spelling oopsie

message 7: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (last edited Nov 06, 2011 01:52PM) (new)

lol Mark-you have to narrow it down to one! I know, though...I would be happy to read any of them!

PS-We have already read Dune and Androids this year so they are not eligible....

message 8: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (last edited Nov 06, 2011 01:54PM) (new)

It looks like my post disappeared...hmmm...I was the one that nominated Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang

I have been eyeing it for a while now

message 9: by Richard (new)

Richard (thinkingbluecountingtwo) | 232 comments They are all pretty much brilliant, so I'd be happy to read whatever wins. But just for appearances sake I'll chuck in my nom of Cities in Flight by James Blish.
Purely selfish reason I'm afraid as its the only one on the list that I've got but not yet read.

message 10: by Mark (new)

message 11: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) Maggie wrote: "It looks like my post disappeared...hmmm...I was the one that nominated Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang

I have been eyeing it for a while now"

This is one of my absolute favorites. I'd be quite happy to re-visit it. (We don't "second" in this group, do we? Well, if we did, I'd second this. ;))

message 12: by mark, personal space invader (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) | 1274 comments Mod
oh i hope Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang wins! i've had that paperback for years now without reading it.

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 490 comments I, myself would like to nominate again, The Demolished Man.

message 14: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new)

Another good choice, Kevin!

message 15: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) I would like to nominate Of Men and Monsters.

message 16: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (marshad) | 1 comments I'd like to nominate The Island of Dr. Moreau.

message 17: by George (new)

George (wegason) | 33 comments I would like to nominate Gateway by Frederick Pohl.

Reading it in January after getting it for Christmas would be good timing.

Any chance that the SF Masterworks List is used as the themed read for the entire year of 2012, before we switch to another theme? I think there are at least 12 books on that list I want to read.

message 18: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new)

I know Jack! I told Mark not to hurry with his list...lol
But I think these will all be on there anyway....

message 19: by Banner (new)

Banner | 138 comments Man there are a bunch on this list I would like to read. I don't know how your going to narrow this down to a choice. But I'm going to throw one in the mix.

I vote for Eon. I just recently read his The Forge of God and would like to read him again.

message 20: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 538 comments I would read that one. Atwood discussed it extensively in In Other Worlds: SF and the Human Imagination. I had it on my list to read, but now it's drawn my attention.

Marsha wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Island of Dr. Moreau."

message 21: by Aloha (last edited Nov 07, 2011 10:25PM) (new)

Aloha | 538 comments Again, I nominate The Time Machine.

message 22: by AsimovsZeroth (new)

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 20 comments The Moon is a Hard Mistress - haven't read it in years and I believe it would spark some great social conversations.

message 23: by Mark (new)

Mark Meyers (markmeyers) | 41 comments Kathryn wrote: "The Moon is a Hard Mistress - haven't read it in years and I believe it would spark some great social conversations."

I've only read two Heinlein novels: Starship Troopers, which I hated, and A Stranger in a Strange Land, which I loved. I'm really curious how I'll feel after reading Mistress. One of my friends, a self-declared libertarian, called it the greatest science fiction novel of all time. We will see.

message 24: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 538 comments Yuck! Can't stand Libertarians. Dated that selfish Ivy League SOB.

message 25: by Scott (new)

Scott Bloody hippies!!!

message 26: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 538 comments It's more fun being a hippy than a Libertarian.

message 27: by Scott (new)

Scott I thought they were the same thing..

message 28: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 538 comments Nope. A Libertarian is a Republican who want free sex.

message 29: by Scott (new)

Scott I thought libertarians were anarchists who were over the age of 22.

message 30: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 538 comments Their politics are thoroughly Republican, but they do not want to be held to the confines of the morality and control of the usually Christian Republicans.

message 31: by Mark (new)

Mark Meyers (markmeyers) | 41 comments If the book pushes those theories, I'm gonna hate it.

message 32: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 538 comments ROFL!!!

message 33: by Scott (new)

Scott Naw, libertarians don't want anything to be controlled or regulated. As opposed to republicans who just don't want their stuff to be regulated.

message 34: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 538 comments That's what I said.

message 35: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 538 comments Basically, Libertarians are mostly socially liberal while fiscally conservative, support of free love but leave their money alone.

message 36: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 538 comments I don't usually care for Libertarians, especially after getting to know one, because it's really a selfish point of view. They think that everybody is responsible for themselves, that it all comes down to personal choices, not considering that there are people in this world who do have little choices. I take care of myself, you take care of yourself, and I don't have to take care of you. Not surprisingly, the Libertarian guy I dated came from a long line of doctors, always had material comfort, and easy access to great education.

message 37: by Scott (new)

Scott I'm all for personal responsibility but they think that because they (& their friends) can handle certain things responsibly, then everyone will. It's a strange fantasy world they live in and I wish it were true.

Or maybe they are strong believers in Darwin's Law.

message 38: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 538 comments Actually, it seems to me that they are strong believers in Darwin's Law, the survival of the fittest.

message 39: by Scott (new)

Scott Unfortunately how it usually works out is the fittest shall survive, and the unfit shall get on television.

message 40: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 538 comments That's how we get Jerry Springer.

message 41: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new)

LMAO Aloha!

ok-I'm gonna close down shop and get some polls going!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.