readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > kickass series

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Christy (last edited Nov 06, 2011 11:27AM) (new)

Christy (christymtidwell) | 149 comments My favorite YA series of the past couple of years is Patrick Ness's Chaos Walking series (The Knife of Never Letting Go, The Ask and the Answer, and Monsters of Men). This series sucked me in immediately and really moved me. Garth Nix's Abhorsen series (beginning with Sabriel) is also very good.

Non-YA favorites of mine that you might look at are Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar Tapestry (beginning with The Summer Tree), which is fantasy built on Arthurian and other legends; Daniel Abraham's Long Price Quartet (beginning with A Shadow in Summer, which is also fantasy but more adult and politically oriented (God, I loved this series, though); and Octavia Butler's Lilith's Brood, which is a science fiction trilogy with pretty cool aliens and the last of the human race.

All of these are completed series and are all fantasy or SF. I hope at least one of them works for you!

message 2: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments I can't think of another series that is fully out. People love the Darkfever series, though. I didn't care much for the first book, but a lot of people really like it.

There are a couple of series where only the first book is out, but I really like them: Blood Red Road and Daughter of Smoke and Bone.

message 3: by Christy (new)

Christy (christymtidwell) | 149 comments Oh yeah, that Darkfever series is awesome. I don't know that I would say they're necessarily good books, but they're addictive and highly entertaining.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Or Suzanne Collins wrote a series aimed younger than Hunger Games, starting with Gregor the Overlander. I think it's completed.

message 5: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments Ceridwen wrote: "Or Suzanne Collins wrote a series aimed younger than Hunger Games, starting with Gregor the Overlander. I think it's completed."

It is! And I love it. Love love!

message 6: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments Oh, I looooooove it. But, I also like Harry Potter. Do you feel like that talks down to you? It is more serious than Harry Potter. I mean, it's Susanne Collins, so it's pretty social-justice/global-politics oriented. Especially the last couple of books.

I don't think Ceridwen loved the first book because she doesn't love the search-for-the-absent-parent story. Right?

message 7: by Mafe (new)

Mafe (bklv89) | 2 comments One great YA series is the Vampire Academy. I personally liked it more than I did Twilight (though I still have fond memories of the books-I was a total fangirl when the final book came out). It's smart, funny and well written-and all the 6 book are out. Richelle Mead the author also has a few other series that are worth perusing. Hope this helps.

message 8: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments Oh, you know, it's not a series, but I liked Twilight, and I also liked The Host. Did you read that one? It definitely has hilarious flaws, but I think it stands alone better than the later books in the Twilight series.

message 9: by Kirstine (new)

Kirstine (kirse) | 17 comments There's also The Golden Compass and the two sequels, if you haven't read them. It's not exactly YA, but it's somewhat in the genre, and they're absolutely fantastic books. They'll make you think too, and the plot is genius.

message 10: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments Ooo, that's such a good one. Though I guess I don't love the second two in that series.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Sparrow wrote: "Oh, I looooooove it. But, I also like Harry Potter. Do you feel like that talks down to you? It is more serious than Harry Potter. I mean, it's Susanne Collins, so it's pretty social-justice/gl..."

Yeah, it was a personal hang up, one that I understand was dealt with in later books. I did not think Gregor talked down to the reader, and Gregor's family situation was much less cartoony than HP. (Though I liked HP, just different. )

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope it works out. Gregor is not hugely similar to Hunger Games or the Twilight books - male protagonist, more fantastical surroundings, much lighter romance, etc - so it might not be what you're looking for.

Madeleine L'Engle was a favorite of mine as a teen, and she wrote several YA series. My favorite was the The Time Trilogy: A Swiftly Tilting Planet, A Wind in the Door and A Wrinkle in Time. These were published in the 70s or 80s though, and may feel hopelessly dated to younger readers. Meg and Calvin are one of my favorite YA couples, to this day, though their romance is not the main point of the story.

message 13: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments But their romance is super cute. Awww! I love the way she does that story!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I know; me too. I would totally marry Calvin if I weren't way too old for him and already married, making it illegal and unethical in several ways. <3

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Also, I don't know why they have the trilogy listed in that order, because A Wrinkle in Time is the first book, for sure.

message 16: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments I know, that's weird. (view spoiler)

message 17: by Kirstine (new)

Kirstine (kirse) | 17 comments "The Golden Compass sounds fun too (thanks Kristine!), did you find the last 2 books didn't hold up to the first?"

The first one is by far the best, and I really love the second as well. The third is the only one I remember not being so fond off, but it's been so long since I've read them that I really don't remember why. Perhaps it was just that I didn't entirely understand it. It's a bit more abstract than the other two, I believe. But they're still very good books, definitely worth a try :)

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Totally.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

The third is the only one I remember not being so fond off, but it's been so long since I've read them that I really don't remember why. Perhaps it was just that I didn't entirely understand it.

I think that third one ends really messily. I still really loved that series, but I think you're right that the ending isn't what it could be.

message 20: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments Yeah, that's how I feel about them, too.

message 21: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 455 comments The Way of Shadows
it's adult but it's fantasy so it's cross over. 3 books all out. the series is about assassins

The Adoration of Jenna Fox
as far as I am aware only two books both out and good. YA about bioethics.

message 22: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments Yay!! I freaking love that book.

message 23: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments Did you read Lips Touch? Soooo good too. I think it's better, but I wonder if it's one of those situations where you like the one you read first best.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Just a nice feature, as I recall. The books are more shared world than an arced narrative - each of the books can stand alone.

message 25: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments My impression was that it is prequel to the Wrinkle in Time series. Like, it goes into the history of another family in the series. Frankly, while I loved Wrinkle, I'm not such a fan of the other two books in the series. It's kind of like the Golden Compass series to me in that way. Second is okay, third is not very good. Anyway, I didn't move on to the other series. I think Miriam and Abigail really loved them as kids, though. Are you friends with them? I might be wrong, but I think it was them.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmm, there is definitely a series about Meg and Calvin's kids, starting with The Arm of the Starfish.

message 27: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments Isn't there one about Calvin's mom, though? Or is that just one of the books in that series?

message 28: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 09, 2011 09:33AM) (new)

http://www.goodreads.com/series/49403...

This is the GR report on the Time series. I never read any of the Austin series, which, it is claimed, overlaps with this. I had no problem understanding the world.

Did An Acceptable Time (Time, #5) have something to do with Calvin's mom? There was certainly time travel.

The Arm of the Starfish may still be my favorite - and the series that centers on her pretty good. I don't know though. I do remember that Polly has sex (in a very PG manner) in one of those books - which I think got it banned in many schools - ah, the 80s - and I was saucer-eyed about the whole thing. Seems quaint now, given where YA has gone.

message 29: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments Oh, maybe that's what I'm thinking of. I think I only read through the third book, but I read summaries of the others.

message 30: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 09, 2011 09:34AM) (new)

Nicole wrote: "I found that An Acceptable time is #5 in the 'Time (Wrinkle in Time)' series and #4 in the 'O'Keefe Family' series????????"

Yup, I can see that. Time travel - you know.

message 31: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 09, 2011 09:43AM) (new)

Heh, sorry. I read them a really long time ago - well, I reread Wrinkle last year, and it held up for me, though the pacing in a little strange. Anyway, I just can't remember all of them, and I *know* I can't vouch for all of them. I did not like Many Waters, or the one about the twins in Argentina - hold on, checking...man, I can't figure which one that was. So, reader beware. The first books in both of those series are pretty good though, for sure.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Grr to Lewis because they reordered the series? That was stupid and a bad call.

Again, I think you can pick and choose which of these books to read, once you've read the first and see how the world works. The books are like episodes. (Which is why, partially, I didn't like Many Waters; the book centers on family member I find boring.)

And Sparrow's right about Lips Touch. That book is amazing, so stylish and beautiful.

message 33: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments I HATE THE NARNIA REORDERING!!

Is Swiftly Tilting Planet the one where they go to the early American history or is it Many Waters? That was where I stopped reading. Dislike.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

The early American history one was boring. I can't remember which one that was, although I'm worried it's Acceptable Time. The one in the colony in Argentina had some troubling, what, social Darwinism issues?

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Many Waters is when Sandy and Dennis go back before the Flood.

message 36: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 09, 2011 11:35AM) (new)

Lion Witch and the Wardrobe is the first book in the Narnia series, and saying otherwise is madness. They were reordered chronologically, putting Nephew first, but that makes no sense at all for readers. Wardrobe is the most sensible introduction to Narnia.

message 37: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments Huh, I don't think I got that far.

message 38: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments I actually think I just mixed it up and thought they were in the U.S., when they were in Argentina. I'm pretty sure Many Waters is the one I didn't like.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I think I read maybe a dozen of these on a road trip out West, in the car with my dad at the age of 13. You can read like 4 books straight when you're a passenger in a car for 20 hours.

message 40: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments I did that with the Little House books when I was 7 or 8.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Nice.

message 42: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments For Narnia, you mean? Starting with Wardrobe follows the publication dates, but one of the books is a prequel, even though it was published later, so people felt the need to be chronological. It is dumb because the prequel has more impact if you know the basic premise of the series.

message 43: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments That's what I prefer.

message 45: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments That is exactly what I think about it. I really love the Magician's Nephew - one of my favorites - but only because of the context of the other books.

message 46: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1315 comments Mod
i am just posting here to get updates.

all the YA series i have read are pretty much still in the process of being written, but i can vouch for the first 3 books of the john marsden series, which starts with Tomorrow, When the War Began. i have not read the final four, nor the spin-off series, but it is not because i am not going to. i own them, but life gets in the way and all. there is no paranormal element, it is a story about a group of teens camping in the deep wilderness in australia, only to emerge to find that australia has been taken over by terrorists, and all their friends and family have been rounded up into camps, with military patrolling and shooting on sight. it is a pretty amazing scenario, and it is australian YA, so it is definitely graphic and un-patronizing. it may not be the easiest to find all of the volumes, but it will probably be repackaged soon, because there is already or is going to be a movie. i only had a difficult time getting number 6. but abe.com is great for things like that.

message 47: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments Nicole wrote: "Sparrow: I just finished Daughter of Smoke and Bone and WOW! Thank you so much for such a fantastic rec. Best book I have read in a long time. I think it tops the two series that d..."

Yay!!

message 48: by Claire (new)

Claire (clairelynn) | 30 comments I'm late to the discussion, but can I suggest the Percy Jackson series? I loved twilight, hunger games, vampire academy, etc, and I feel like you would enjoy Percy jackson as well!

message 49: by karen, future RA queen (new)

i am reading the first one right now and i am loving it as well.

message 50: by karen, future RA queen (new)

i do! i have all three lined up at the ready! i am psyched - i have no idea why i waited so long to read these!

« previous 1