The Critical Beatdown discussion

Mysteries of Pittsburgh > Mysteries of Pittsburgh: The Movie

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 28, 2008 11:29AM) (new)

Apparently, there is a movie adaptation of the book set to come out (no pun) sometime this year starring Peter Saaarsgaaaaarrddd as Cleveland, Nick Nolte as Art's dad and Sienna Miller as Jane. There are clips on youtube with pre / post production highlights.

http://www.mysteriesofpittsburgh.com/

message 2: by Alethea (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 19 comments I thought his name was spelled Saarrrrrsssggggarrd. My bad.

message 3: by Bill (new)

Bill | 10 comments Well, now that I've finished it, I can react violently and vulgarly to this film adaptation.

SPOILERS

Combining the characters of Arthur and Cleveland?! WHAT? You've gotta be fucking kidding me (end vulgarity). They are two such different characters and provide completely different outlets for Art during the story... and in further reading (if you search the IMDB message boards) they have switched it beyond recognition... it's really not a movie based on the book - the director/writer must have liked the book and wanted to do different things with it... which is frustrating to begin with...

end rant

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

the two characters do serve different roles, in that one is gay and the other is not. it sounds silly, but just from that Art seeks totally different things from the two of them.

message 5: by Bill (new)

Bill | 10 comments Both provide him different senses of adventure/possibilities/companionship that can't be adequately done with one character... While they are introduced as part of the same world, they are quite distinct...

It surprises me to learn that Chabon signed off on the script, because from what I've read it is a completely different animal than the book.