Stephen King Fans discussion

Nightmares and Dreamscapes
This topic is about Nightmares and Dreamscapes
Short Stories & Collections > Suffer the Little Children-N&D

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 2 stars

Angie | 2548 comments Mod
"Suffer the Little Children" is a short story by Stephen King. It was first published by Cavalier in February, 1972. The story was later published as part of the collection Nightmares and Dreamscapes in 1993. In the "Notes" section of Nightmares and Dreamscapes, King wrote that it was originally supposed to be published in his 1978 collection Night Shift, but editor Bill Thompson opted to have it cut. King had wanted to cut "Gray Matter", but deferred to Thompson's choice.

King has stated that the story reminds him of the works of Ray Bradbury, and similarities have been noted by other authors as well. King also wrote that the story had "no redeeming social merit whatever." In The Complete Stephen King Universe, it is described as an "effective chiller."

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Loved this story. Its so dark and ghoulish :)

Rocio (scarlet86) | 5 comments God, being a mom this story got to me more that it should. I have read it before and thought it to be really good, heavy on the subject for so short a story, but good. Now that I was re-reading it, I got so creep out when Miss Sidley saw the remain of the little boy. I totally understood why Miss Sidley killed the kids, i was so in in the story, it did seem like the obvios thing to do, but i just kept thinking how all looked for the outside world.
I just tought it was heavy stuff.

DAISY DISNEY | 15 comments Very creepy the description of the boy in the classroom.

message 5: by Krista (new) - added it

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 50 comments Oh, I just finished this one this evening and it was creepy. I think what makes it even more unsettling is thinking about how the school systems have changed since the time of the story's original penning to present.

-- SPOILER ALERT --

Anything involving shooting in schools is sure to tug at levels of discomfort. Add the shooting from a teacher and the paranoia of alienish children and you have yourself recipe for freaky!