Stephen King Fans discussion

Nightmares and Dreamscapes
This topic is about Nightmares and Dreamscapes
Short Stories & Collections > Dolan's Cadillac-N&D

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (last edited Nov 06, 2011 09:05AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Angie | 2543 comments Mod
Below is a synopsis of the story

(view spoiler)

message 2: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 1099 comments Mod
Dolan's Cadillac (view spoiler)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) I liked this one a lot but it really did depart from anything I'd previously read by him. It was very dark and Robinson seemed creepily invested in his revenge. It wasn't that I couldn't understand why it just seemed very extreme. I'd only recently read "The Cask of Amontillado" around the time I read N&D (I was a freshmen in high school at the time) so the comparisons were definitely there for me as I read.

Rocio (scarlet86) | 5 comments This is like my 4th attempt to read this book, the first two attempts I made ended in the middle of this story when Robinson is digging the hole. That part is too loaded with info that it bored me. Now, on this new attempt I found it fascinating (in the creepy sort of way).
I just don't understand this, if Dolan was supposed to be this bad guy (he lives or almost always is in Vegas, so, drugs?), how can he immediately knew it was Robinson. It was years since he order the murder of his wife, and if he's a bad guy we suppose that wasn't the only murder he order, so i just thought it was a bit weird he knew instantly it was Robinson.

Jena (outlanderfan74) If somebody killed one of my loved ones, I would WANT to think of a revenge this devious, but my mind just doesn't work like that. I think that's why the story impressed me and creeped me out at the same time.

Gatorman | 561 comments Scarlet86 wrote: "This is like my 4th attempt to read this book, the first two attempts I made ended in the middle of this story when Robinson is digging the hole. That part is too loaded with info that it bored me...."

Yeah, a bit of a stretch, but what the heck. The story is really good.

Alondra Miller Rachel wrote: "If somebody killed one of my loved ones, I would WANT to think of a revenge this devious, but my mind just doesn't work like that. I think that's why the story impressed me and creeped me out at t..."

I agree; but I also think most of us don't have a clue how we would react. We like to think we would not become obsessive and turn the other cheek.... but that in itself doesn't seem human. We are more primal when it comes to our loved ones. I think of my children and know that I would plot, plot, and plot some more....

message 8: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 2 stars

Angie | 2543 comments Mod
Alondra wrote: "Rachel wrote: "If somebody killed one of my loved ones, I would WANT to think of a revenge this devious, but my mind just doesn't work like that. I think that's why the story impressed me and cree..."

I agree.. when you love someone and you snap you never know what you could end up doing.

DAISY DISNEY | 15 comments I think this was a great opening story to this thick book. It was kinda creepy. Who digs at 3 am in the middle of the desert... Very spooky!

message 10: by Krista (new) - added it

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 50 comments Ditto, Daisy.

What I particularly enjoyed about this story is how I felt like I was there with Robinson. I knew what he was doing, what he was thinking, how he was preparing. I felt like I was listening to a friend (albeit one who is hell-bent on revenge) plot out a plan and witnessing him carrying it out.

As a fairly new King reader, perhaps this is something others who know his writing style find as the norm. For me, it was a breath of fresh air to be so connected with the character and "inside" his head, if you will.

message 11: by Krista (new) - added it

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 50 comments I have to share, I keep seeing blue Cadis everywhere when I never used to see them ever. Perhaps a bit of an exaggeration (and now I likely only notice them because of the awareness built to them in the story), but in all seriousness I did see one just after finishing this story and again on my drive to a relative's home for Thanksgiving. Of course, it immediately made me think of our read and my fellow GR SKF members.