Exceptional Books discussion

Sharon's section > What makes a story good?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharonstar) | 63 comments Mod
What makes a story good in your estimation? What elements of a story make you say "Wow!" and urge you to recommend it to others?

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy (amieallsorts) | 3 comments A good plot that reaches out to the reader, and it MUST be unpredictable.

message 3: by Autumn (last edited Nov 13, 2011 08:17AM) (new)

Autumn I've read books that are beautifully written yet I haven't liked their stories...it came down to disliking the characters. I think a reader has to be able to empathize with the characters.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

A good plot, theme and characters that are real and have strengths and weaknesses. If they are evil I want to find something that makes me understand why. Locations are important, I want to feel I am there.

message 5: by Eliel (new)

Eliel Lopez A good story is one that is well thought out and may move the reader to identify with one or more of the characters. Geographical location research is also a plus.

message 6: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharonstar) | 63 comments Mod
Some good books have horrid characters, like Hannibal Lecter. Books would be boring if all the characters were likable, wouldn't they?

I have to believe that almost every book is thought out carefully. But some books are exceptional. It seems to be a combination of the writing and the story, because it's possible to have one and not the other in a book. Most people wouldn't find a book with just one of those elements exceptional.

It's hard to say exactly what makes a book exceptional, but we seem to know it when we read it. Next time you read an exceptional book, think about what makes it that way for you.

message 7: by Rohan (new)

Rohan (rohannigam) For me, it is rare that the story makes me go "Wow!". It is more the characters and the situation in which these characters are put in that brings out true emotions.

message 8: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) | 1 comments I like a story with engaging characters, plotting plus setting that stirs brain cells as well as emotions and an ending that's worth the built-up expectations.