This topic is about Last Rituals
Group read-alongs > Last Rituals by Yrsa Sigurdardottir

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken Fredette (klfredette) | 4234 comments Mod
The Winner for November.

message 2: by Susan (last edited Nov 06, 2011 10:50AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Susan (susanthomas) Haven't read any of her books, so I'm excited. It's my third read this month for GR. On The Redeemer now, then Jar City, and then Last Rituals. Also trying to fit in Wallander's White Lioness, along with my local book club read, Cutting for Stone. It's going to be a busy but delightful month of reading!

Fizzycola | 163 comments Susan wrote: "Haven't read any of his books"

Hey.. HER books!
I only have a few pages left of this one.

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 236 comments Already read "Last Rituals" Even changed my name to Yrsa on my profile page for awhile. Will check what was next on the poll.

Susan (susanthomas) Fizzycola wrote: "Susan wrote: "Haven't read any of his books"

Hey.. HER books!
I only have a few pages left of this one."

Yes, Fizzycola, I realized it after I had posted and meant to go back and fix my error. Thanks for reminding me!

message 6: by Fizzycola (last edited Nov 06, 2011 12:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fizzycola | 163 comments Lol, never mind!
I'm just a perfectionist when it comes to woman authors! Even ladies can write crime fiction - and very well too!

message 7: by Ian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ian (pepecan) | 352 comments Susan wrote: "Haven't read any of her books, so I'm excited. It's my third read this month for GR. On The Redeemer now, then Jar City, and then Last Rituals. Also trying to fit in Wallander's White Lioness, alon..."

Cutting For Stone was one of favourite reads of this year.

Susan (susanthomas) Ian wrote: "Susan wrote: "Haven't read any of her books, so I'm excited. It's my third read this month for GR. On The Redeemer now, then Jar City, and then Last Rituals. Also trying to fit in Wallander's White..."

I've only heard good things about Cutting for Stone, Ian, which is pretty rare. I'm looking forward to reading it. Verghese seems like a very gifted man in many areas.

message 9: by Ian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ian (pepecan) | 352 comments As I suggested Last Rituals, delighted that it won the day. Next read after my current John Le Carre novel.

Fizzycola | 163 comments What is it with this Icelandic crime fiction? I seem to love every book I read. I like the slow, almost reflective pace. There can be gruesome details - and there are! - but they are always an integral part of the story line. Hardboiled violence makes me just turn away from a book. None of the Icelandic crime stories have been like that.

Last Rituals was everything I hoped for. Also, I like the protagonist a lot. That's all I'm going to say, I don't want to spoil the reading experience of others!

Oh yes, one more thing. I saw someone criticise the language of the young people in the book. That must be a translation problem. In Finnish it felt quite natural.

message 11: by Art (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 48 comments I just put it on my hold list at the local library right before I saw this, perfect timing!

message 12: by Dave (new)

Dave | 113 comments Ian wrote: "As I suggested Last Rituals, delighted that it won the day. Next read after my current John Le Carre novel."

How are you finding "Our Kind of Traitor"?
I have it on my kindle, but haven't got around to reading it yet.

message 13: by Ian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ian (pepecan) | 352 comments Found the start a bit slow but it's growing on me.

message 14: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Well I've read all the books in the survey. As this is the start of a series
you should know that in book two it changes. That's all I'll say.

Susan (susanthomas) Kenneth wrote: "Well I've read all the books in the survey. As this is the start of a series
you should know that in book two it changes. That's all I'll say."

Now I'm curious to find out what "it" is, Kenneth!

message 16: by Sandra (last edited Nov 08, 2011 12:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sandra (mrsshorty) | 18 comments I really love Yrsa's books, they are not as dark as some other Scand/Nord authors, and have an element of humour in them, which suits the authors style.....all I can say is keep them coming

Rachel | 53 comments Last Rituals was my favourite..I did enjoy her next 2 books but was less impressed the more I read. All got a bit too formulaic by book 3. That said, really enjoyed Thora and her slightly bonkers family.

Junying | 267 comments It's been quite a while since I read it, but I did give it a 4 star rating so I really liked it. I thought the plot was intriguing and the characters very likeable. There were a few twists to keep me interested, and it was a very good introduction to Icelandic crime fiction for me. Will definitely read more of her books.

message 19: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new) - rated it 5 stars

My wife wants to go to Iceland because of all the volcanic activity and thermal baths. I see a land devoid of trees.

message 20: by Art (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 48 comments I'm just a few chapters into it and I'm liking it so far.

Emily (Em) (camrymyst) Kenneth wrote: "My wife wants to go to Iceland because of all the volcanic activity and thermal baths. I see a land devoid of trees."

Been several times and there are areas that reminded of the valleys in Hawaii.

Junying | 267 comments Amazing landscape in Iceland - make sure you visit it in the summer - we went in November for a friend's wedding and it was the coldest place I've ever been! Breathtaking gullfoss and geysirs though.

Rachel | 53 comments Having watched the film " Jar City" my thoughts were : Iceland = Manchester + volcanos...

message 24: by Ian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ian (pepecan) | 352 comments Rachel wrote: "Having watched the film " Jar City" my thoughts were : Iceland = Manchester + volcanos..."

So The Happy Mondays could have come from Iceland...and not Madchester as originally thought........luv that concept.

message 25: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Nov 17, 2011 04:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

In this book we have been teased into thinking that their was something between Thora and Matthew, how does Yrsa see relationships?

Susan (susanthomas) Rachel wrote: "Having watched the film " Jar City" my thoughts were : Iceland = Manchester + volcanos..."

I'd never given much thought to Iceland, but I'm halfway through Jar City and the descriptions of the landscape/weather/people intrigue me. And the names! How different they seem from those used in the Swedish/Norwegian books I've read!

Susan (susanthomas) Starting Last Rituals today!

Fiona | 85 comments Enjoying so far - about a third of the way through as I have a very bad habit of reading a number of books at the same time. Habit has got worse since I got my iPad !

message 29: by Ian (last edited Nov 22, 2011 10:13AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ian (pepecan) | 352 comments Finished it a few days ago. I enjoyed it, but no more than that. Struggled slightly with the main character being called Thora...if you are a Brit of my generation you'll understand ....where's my stairlift lol?

message 30: by Art (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 48 comments Ian wrote: "Finished it a few days ago. I enjoyed it, but no more than that. "

That's about my take on it too. I liked it but didn't love it but it was good enough to put the second book on the list

Rachel | 53 comments Ian wrote: "Finished it a few days ago. I enjoyed it, but no more than that. Struggled slightly with the main character being called Thora...if you are a Brit of my generation you'll understand ....where's my ..."

Yes...I get that one!...very good. Have read the first 3 in the series...very much a 3 star read i think

Fiona | 85 comments Just finished - three stars from me too - but got bogged down in some of the historical detail. I like history but thought there was a bit too much detail for this type of book. Will however read the next book in the series when I have a window in my growing 'to read' list.

message 33: by Rick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rick (ricocan49) | 9 comments Actually, I haven't read "Last Ritual," the general description didn't appeal to me. I have read episodes 2 and 3 (just finished #3). I enjoyed the books, but I agree wholeheartedly that the series seems to be 3 star material.

Julie (73) (julie73) Still reading this one but getting distracted by other books.

Donna | 2 comments I enjoyed this book especially the early history of Iceland and the connection to the European witch hunts. There were plenty of twists and turns in the plot and I did like Thora generally but the subplot with her son seemed a bit out of place.

I read this with my in person book group and it was generally well received.

Fiona (neferankh) | 9 comments Love this book. Have read four of her books now and impressed with each of them.

message 37: by Anna (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anna (aetm) | 228 comments Am I the only one here who wasn't impressed with Last Rituals?
Thóra bored me to death by being such a self-centered and naïve... umm, heroine? Like a complete Bridget Jones with a hint of Erlendur (but more boring) and with often the social 'charm' of Eva Lind in a Dan Brown (rather than noir) located in Iceland.
Please tell me that she's less of a Bridget Jones in the later books of the series...

message 38: by Ian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ian (pepecan) | 352 comments You're not so alone Anna - can't say I was that impressed. Gave it 3 stars but 2.5 probably nearer the mark. Think Art and a few others felt the same way. I don't think I'll be reading any more by this author.

Julie (73) (julie73) I'm with you too.......took me ages to finish it.

message 40: by Ian (new)

Ian | 35 comments This one absolutely hooked me from the first chapter. Couldn't wait to read the other 3 that have been translated...and they just got better and better.

message 41: by Anna (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anna (aetm) | 228 comments Hmm - bummer, I wasn't impressed with the first one, yet I noticed I have got My Soul To Take at some point. So I guess that'll have to be read at some point too... (please be less a bridget jones...)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 236 comments Might catch Yrsa's shorts on the blog Murder is Everwhere. If she has written that day I always enjoy reading them.

Junying | 267 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Might catch Yrsa's shorts on the blog Murder is Everwhere. If she has written that day I always enjoy reading them."

Elizabeth, like you, I read posts from Murder is Everywhere, and enjoyed Yrsa's shorts from time to time :)

English Translations of Scandinavian/Nordic...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Last Rituals (other topics)