Amazon Kindle discussion

Take No More (James Blake, #1)
This topic is about Take No More
Author's Corner > Seb Kirby - Thriller Writer

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Seb (last edited Nov 06, 2011 02:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Seb (sebkirby) | 25 comments Hi

I'm a writer from North West UK. I grew up in Birmingham, left for University in Swansea at age 18 and stayed there until twenty years ago when I moved to Liverpool. Three places I am equally fond of; three roughly twenty year phases of my life.

I was raised with books – my grandfather ran a mobile library in Birmingham and my parents inherited a random selection of the books. They weren't much interested in them; they were piled up in a box room, gathering dust. I would disappear in there and resurrect much used classics – Zane Gray 'Riders of the Purple Sage', H G Wells 'The Invisible Man', Charles Dickens 'A Tale of Two Cities' and more obscure stuff that I don't now recall. I was hooked.

There was gap, a long gap, until I was lucky enough to find an inspirational school teacher. He donated his own books to make a lending library in a stock cupboard off the classroom. Kids queued to borrow the books. These were the classics – Franz Kafka 'Metamorphosis' and 'The Trial', George Orwell '1984' and 'Animal Farm', Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn 'One Day In The Life of Ivan Denisovich', Ray Bradbury 'Fahrenheit 451', Boris Pasternak 'Dr Zhivago', Arthur Koestler 'Darkness At Noon', Vladimir Nabokov 'Pale Fire', Ken Kesey 'One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest', Aldous Huxley 'Brave New World'………….

I've been an avid reader ever since.

My debut novel is 'Take No More'. It's a thriller set in present day London and Florence.

Julia Blake is a conservator, working with classic art. Her expertise includes imaging beneath the surface of paintings to discover what lies beneath. She is sure that a number of those valuable paintings described as 'missing, believed lost or destroyed' have in fact been overpainted as a means of hiding them when the moral edicts of the past deemed them unsuitable. She has tracked down a collection of pictures in Florence that looks promising and has gone there to try to discover a hidden masterpiece and make her reputation.

'Take No More' begins when James Blake, Julia's husband, returns to their home in London to find that she has been shot and killed. What had brought her back to London unannounced? Why has someone killed her?

Blake determines to find her killers. He has little to go on - just her last message to him sent from her mobile phone: 'help me' with an attachment showing Michelangelo's painting 'Leda and the Swan'. There is no help from the police as Blake is impeded by the unsympathetic Inspector Hendricks who suspects him of the murder.

His search takes him into a world of lies and deceit beneath the sophistication of the art world in Florence, a world that he has to overcome to find the truth.

I'm trying to develop my website as something more than a place to publicise my book by including articles of wider interest.

A second novel is about fifty per cent completed at the time of writing this. Something quite different to 'Take No More. The follow up to TNM is in the planning but will have to wait its turn.

More details at Take No More US or Take No More UK

I've been active member of Goodreads for almost a year now, contributing to a number of Groups including Kindle Readers and Authors which I moderate.

message 2: by Seb (last edited Nov 16, 2011 09:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Just to add that I run a feature on my blog on humorous videos with literary connections:

Kurt Vonnegut photo
The Funny Side - a collection of memorable pieces that reflect on the humorous side of the ebook world

Suggestions for more videos to add gratefully received.

Best wishes

Seb

message 3: by Seb (new) - rated it 5 stars

A further update to my blog

http://noveltakenomore.blogspot.com/2...

Covers: Sara Lund, strong language and fairisle jumpers + the rise and rise of women fantasy and sci fi writers.

Best wishes

Seb

message 4: by Seb (new) - rated it 5 stars

I've blogged again:

http://noveltakenomore.blogspot.com/2...

Covers: The strange case of the disappearing ebook + Lexi Revellian speaks up for indie authors on national radio.

Best wishes

Seb

message 5: by Seb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sorry I've not been here for awhile.

But, some good news!

I'm about to publish my second thriller on July 1st. That's Sunday.

I'll call back with some more details then.

Best wishes

Seb

message 6: by Seb (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm pleased to announce the launch of my second thriller, DOUBLE BIND.

Here's the GR page:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15...

And here's the cover and the link to amazon:

Double Bind cover

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008GFWH52

Best wishes

Seb

message 7: by Seb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Just to mention that I've been using Pinterest recently to post some background to my two thrillers.

The result is here:

http://pinterest.com/sebkirby

Best wishes

Seb

message 8: by Seb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Just to say that the launch date for REGRET NO MORE is 9th April!

Regret No More cover
REGRET NO MORE at Goodreads

I'd be grateful for anything you could do to spread the word.

Best wishes

Seb

message 9: by Seb (last edited May 25, 2014 08:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Seb (sebkirby) | 25 comments Just to say thanks to everyone for their help with the launch of FORGIVE NO MORE. It 's really satisfying to now have the James Blake thriller series so well established with this, the third in the series.

I'm pleased to say that the series is now also available on B&N (Nook), Apple iBooks and Kobo, as well as remaining on amazon, of course. Paperback books of the series will also be available soon.

Now some news.

I'm visiting Florence and Venice in a three week trip to Italy, part as a break after the long hard work on FNM but also to do some writerly research.

I visited the Peggy Guggenheim Museum in Venice, mainly to spend a little time with Max Ernst's 'The Attirement of the Bride'. It's a wonderful painting. I had Della DeFrancesco say in TAKE NO MORE and again in FORGIVE NO MORE that this was the painting she returned to because it summed up the tragedy of her life and I wanted to find out why she had said that. The answer was right there before me and leads to a decisive plot line in the fourth book in the series which I'm definitely now aiming to write and release towards the end of this year.

But the other development is that I'm spending early mornings here writing the follow up to my cli fi / si fi thriller DOUBLE BIND. I'm just short if 20,000 words in and having a good time working again with those characters. Hoping to finish this by the end of the summer.

Best wishes to all

Seb

message 10: by Seb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Just to say that I've started a monthly newsletter.

Details are here: http://sebkirby.com/seb-kirby-july-mo...

Hope you enjoy it

Best wishes

Seb