The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Report for Duty > New from the Pacific North West

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Donald (redonald) | 64 comments Hi! I can't believe it's taken me this long to stumble on Goodreads. I guess I've been a pretty independent mystery fan for many years. I cut my teeth on the Agatha Christie, Nero Wolfe, Dick Francis and John D. MacDonald (Travis McGee) novels on my uncle's bookshelf during summer holidays at "the lake".

In the 90's my favorite authors were Elizabeth George and Martha Grimes; they still are among my favorites but I now read everything by John Lescroart and Michael Connelly. I prefer third person, multiple viewpoint whodunnits of a substantial length.

I attended Bouchercon in Seattle & Monterrey in the 90's, and a Sisters in Crime conference in Houston. I also started writing back then, attended a workshop with Elizabeth George at the Book Passage in Corte Madera, and have two finished mystery novels.

I'm looking forward to finding new favorite authors here and will introduce my own novels in the Authors Corner sometime soon.

message 2: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (hayes13) | 2060 comments Mod
Hi Ruth, and welcome to Goodreads and to the Mystery Group. This is the right place for recommendations, so hang on to your TBR.
Best of luck with your own books.

message 3: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Welcome Ruth. Glad you found us.

message 4: by Monica (new)

Monica | 75 comments Welcome Ruth. I see you live very close to me...always nice to see someone else here from the Pacific NW. Happy reading :)

message 5: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments Ditto! I'm in Seattle, land of Starbux, Micro$oft and rain! Welcome!

message 6: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Donald (redonald) | 64 comments Thank you all for the warm welcome! What a great group of kindred spirits and interesting book discussions - now I'll never get any work done! ;-)

message 7: by Georgia (new)

Georgia | 536 comments Nothing like the great NW. I have traveled alot and when I get home, I always want to kiss the ground I live upon. Oregon, my Oregon, land of the empire builders, land of the golden sun which is shining on the glorious leaves all around us until it starts raining and then they turn brown. We have mountains, rivers, lava fields, everything that is upon this earth, oceans, trees, beautiful flowers, we are known for roses. Come on Down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 8: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Donald (redonald) | 64 comments I'm planning to visit Oregon next March for the NW Horse Expo in Albany. Oregon and BC are so much alike, but the spring comes a little earlier the farther south you get, so I'm looking forward to it.

Raining in my part of the NW today - those brown leaves on the ground will have to wait because it's a perfect day to curl up on the couch with a good mystery!