The Atheist Book Club discussion

Atheism + Skepticism > Michigan Republicans Allow Bullying If ‘Religiously or Morally Motivated’ (Video)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Michigan Senate Republicans have passed an anti-bullying bill with a get out for anyone who can provide a religious or moral reason for their action.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/michigan-...

message 2: by Betsy (new)

Betsy That's incredible. Unbelievable. Surely even the current US Supreme Court won't let that stand.

message 3: by Cora (last edited Nov 05, 2011 11:31PM) (new)

Cora Judd (corajudd) | 163 comments Absolutely outraged. I'm writing letters. (As I understand it, the route to the Supreme Court from this point is very long and winding and can only begin with the assault/death of a child at the hands of a bully claiming to be religiously motivated).

message 4: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK ...can only begin with the assault/death of a child at the hands of a bully claiming to be religiously motivated)

Or another Inquisition or Salem!

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 121 comments That is jaw droppingly horrendous. That is explicitly condoning religiously motivated violence.

Excellent speech by Senator Whitmer, but did anyone on the floor point out the difference between this and condoning the proposed execution of homosexuals in some countries, or the September 11th attacks, is simply a matter of scale rather than of morality?

message 6: by George (new)

George King (kinggeorge) | 141 comments I already posted this story on the Atheist an Skeptic site. There are some more comments there. For a group of legislators to pass this bill suggests mental illness gone rampant.

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 121 comments George wrote: "I already posted this story on the Atheist an Skeptic site. There are some more comments there. For a group of legislators to pass this bill suggests mental illness gone rampant."

Missed the update on that one George. I really need to go through my groups and make sure I'm set up right!

I guess this amendment is consistent with the republican's obsession with sex and biblical morality. Just a shame it's not consistent with sense, decency or actual morality...