Romantic Historical Fiction Lovers discussion

QUESTIONS > FAVORITE BOOK OF 2011

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited Nov 09, 2011 06:26AM) (new)

Emery Lee (authoremerylee) | 900 comments Mod
Hi Everyone-
I'd love to know what your very favorite book was that you read this year. (It can be published any year) and why.

After much debate, I've decided my very favorite book was THE WINTER SEA by Susanna Kearsely
The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley .
The historical research that I'm uber-picky about was impeccable and the romantic story moving. Actually there were parallel romances which doubled the pleasure.

I'm also going to add a second title that I finished immediately after posting TWS. I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Pamela Clare's
Surrender (MacKinnon’s Rangers, #1) by Pamela Clare .

message 2: by Jill (new)

Jill This is very difficult to limit to just one RHF book.
And since the year isn't finish I may add some more to my favourites for the year.

1) Fortune's Son Fortune's Son by Emery Lee

2) The Rose Garden The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley

3) In Byron's Shadow In Byron's Shadow by Ashley J. Barnard

message 3: by Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (last edited Nov 07, 2011 04:58PM) (new)

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 27 comments A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness
And it is not strictly a historical novel because it has supernaturals but it certainly has a lot of history in it and is a beautiful romance.

message 4: by April (new)

April | 5 comments Most definitely The Winter Sea!

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 27 comments I loved The Winter Sea too - five stars.

message 6: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Gaile (kittygladu) | 251 comments Mod
Emery wrote: "Hi Everyone-
I'd love to know what your very favorite book was that you read this year. (It can be published any year) and why.

After much debate, I've decided my very favorite book was THE WIN..."

I second this!

message 7: by Mar (new)

Mar | 19 comments Silver Lining. This book is on my to read again and again shelf. Well written and there were unexpected elements that kept me riveted as I read. Amazingly awesome book.

message 8: by Shea (new)

Shea | 42 comments Well, I only managed to read 44 books this year thanks to all the time I spent trudging through Vanity Fair. I am pretty sure that is down from my average. Unfortunately, none of my 2011 favorites really fall into the Romantic Historical Fiction category. The one that comes the closest is Emma by Jane Austen
My other favorites this year were A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Future... Twists and Turns and Lessons Learned by Michael J. Fox Alice Bliss by Laura Harrington and My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

message 9: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

1. The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley
2, Mariana by Susanna Kearsley
3. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
4. To Be Queen A Novel of the Early Life of Eleanor of Aquitaine by Christy English
5. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
These are my favorite reads of 2011. I have a recommended 2011 shelf for anyone investigating my profile. Hope 2012 will be an even better reading year!

message 10: by Jill (new)

Jill Marmar wrote: "Silver Lining. This book is on my to read again and again shelf. Well written and there were unexpected elements that kept me riveted as I read. Amazingly awesome book."

Marmar, is that Silver Lining by Maggie Osborne?
If it is, I love that book. Didn't read it this year but recommend it whenever I can.

message 11: by Mar (new)

Mar | 19 comments Yes, the Maggie Osborne book. I was enthralled from beginning to end. Low Down's transformation to Louise and the way Max began to realize his love for her....... I cried. Just wonderful. :)

message 12: by Jill (new)

Jill Marmar wrote: "Yes, the Maggie Osborne book. I was enthralled from beginning to end. Low Down's transformation to Louise and the way Max began to realize his love for her....... I cried. Just wonderful. :)"

And you've read her others then? Notably

The Promise of Jenny Jones The Promise of Jenny Jones by Maggie Osborne

message 13: by Megan (new)

Megan Kaki Warner - any one of them!

message 14: by Mar (new)

Mar | 19 comments Jill wrote: "Marmar wrote: "Yes, the Maggie Osborne book. I was enthralled from beginning to end. Low Down's transformation to Louise and the way Max began to realize his love for her....... I cried. Just wonde..."

I've not read any of her other works. Thanks for the reccomendation. I'm adding this to my list 'to read'. :) Woo hoo. :)

message 15: by Jill (new)

Jill Marmar wrote: "Jill wrote: "Marmar wrote: "Yes, the Maggie Osborne book. I was enthralled from beginning to end. Low Down's transformation to Louise and the way Max began to realize his love for her....... I crie..."

Then I hope you enjoy it Marmar. It's my favourite Maggie O.

message 16: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

As to Silver Lining, it's only in a nookbook. When that happens I feel I have lived too Long! I want my books between covers please!

message 17: by Jennifer C (new)

Jennifer C My favorite books for this year were:
A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness
The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen

message 18: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie I gave 5 stars to several, none of them historical this year though. My favorite was probably The Iron Duke (steampunk?). I also loved City of Glass (YA fantasy) and Sacred (mystery.)

message 19: by Harry (new)

Harry Nicholson (harrynicholson) Finished 'Shadows Walking' by Skopp. It is my most memorable read but ties with Grossman's 'Life and Fate'.

'Shadows walking' is set in the days of the Third Reich- not my usual period - it is soaked in historical atmosphere. I felt as though I inhabited that time and it's left a mood on me that fades only slowly.

message 20: by M.K. (last edited Mar 31, 2012 07:26PM) (new)

M.K. (mkstelmack) Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! Yes, I know I'm a little late--I'm a new 2012 Goodreader. Ahem.