Jack Reacher Series discussion

General Topics > Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher

Comments Showing 1-50 of 166 (166 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Bru (new)

Bru (brucoder) | 107 comments Mod
OK everybody. Let your pain show! LOL.
A munchkin got the part!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10...

message 2: by John (new)

John (jrf53219) | 8 comments I think casting Cruise will turn Child's work into a B movie! Just like the mis-casting in the Licoln Lawyer. What a shame! Great writing deserves great actors.

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott Dann (scottpdann) | 5 comments What a terrible choice. I can't think of an actor less like Reacher than Tom Cruise.

message 4: by Bru (new)

I felt the same way when they cast Mark Wahlberg (5'7") as Bob Lee Swagger in Shooter. Anyone that's read the books knows it should have been someone like Sam Elliot.

These guys are all too short! Heck, Whahlberg's girlfriend in the movie had to be chosen because she's 5'3" just to make him look taller.

Tom Cruise also claims he's 5'7" at IMDB.

message 5: by Roddy (new)

Roddy | 16 comments Scott, I must disagree. I think Danny DeVeto would be less like Jack than Tom Cruise but Tom may be the second.

message 6: by John (new)

John (jrf53219) | 8 comments After reading 10 of his novels and watching a new TV series Person of Interest. James Caviezel would have been the best choice for Reacher. He has the persona that would give a real life representation of Reacher.

Cruise is so Hollywood pretty boy.

Oh well, live and learn

message 7: by Scott (new)

Scott Dann (scottpdann) | 5 comments Roddy, I stand corrected.

message 8: by Bru (new)

I've just been reading Lee Child's latest. On Pg 180..

Jack Reacher says,
"Eventually I found a white button-down made of heavy cotton. The collar was an eighteen and the sleeves were thirty-seven inches long, which was about my size."

Maybe we should send Tom a little Christmas present? I'm sure it will fit him perfectly, lol.

What a travesty!

message 9: by Scott (new)

Scott (mscottfowler) | 3 comments I just wish that they'd get someone new that we could start fresh with, you know? Tom comes with so much baggage and history. But according to your article, Bru, Lee Child is down with old Cruisey being Reacher...so....

message 10: by Bru (last edited Dec 18, 2011 03:30PM) (new)

Scott, that's exactly what they should do. A totally brand new guy that matches the character exactly.

BTW, Scott, you have to pick up the brand new "Soft Target" by Stephen Hunter. If they make a movie of it, you could play the guy! Great Read!!

message 11: by Erna (new)

Erna | 5 comments I refuse to go to a movie with Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher...I will definately miss the movie so I can continue to enjoy the books. I agree with Roddy,if they had cast Danny Devito we would have known it was a spoof.

message 12: by Anne (new)

Anne | 7 comments When I first started reading the Reacher books I began making a mental list of possible actors... Tom Cruise was not in that list.
My first thought was Clint Eastwood... but he's in his 80s.
So my other suggestions for Reacher are Hugh Jackman (he looks kind of like Clint Eastwood, he can pack on muscle and he has played a drifter before - Wolverine!), Liam Neeson and Tom Jane (although apparently he's only 5'10"-5'11" - he looks taller than that in The Punisher).

message 13: by Roddy (new)

Roddy | 16 comments Despite my earlier comment I do like Tom Cruise (I round up to call myself 5'7" as well) and I can see Lee Child's feeling that it's more an attitude than a size. But I still have a very hard time seeing him as Reacher. I have been thinking about who I do like and 2 current actors occur to me. One is Timothy Olyphant, currently in Justified, and Alex O'Loughlin, currently in Hawaii 5-0.

message 14: by Bru (new)

I vaguely remember Lee Child being asked whom he thought of when he imagined the character and he mentioned some English rugby player with hands the size of Turkeys (lol). I'm going to pass on the movie too.

There have been many movies that hurt the original books in my estimation. Like all the James Bonds that followed Sean Connery. Bond was a cruel SOB in the books. Not quite Roger Moore with all his comedic quips. Totally killed off the series and its following.

message 15: by Roddy (new)

Roddy | 16 comments As I am sitting here watching the Daily Show it looks like Liam Neeson would make a good Reacher if he can drop the accent.

message 16: by Cecilie (new)

Cecilie (CecilieRH) | 2 comments Tom Cruise!? Damn it! I`d like to see Hugh Jackman or someone unknown play Reacher. Atleast pick someone sexy! GAAAH! Btw Liam Neeson isnt a bad choice either. I`ll just continue reading, not watching this!

message 17: by Yogaraj (new)

Yogaraj | 1 comments Tom Criuse was a good choice but he is not big enough to play Jack Reacher.....other than that i think he is a fair choice.....

message 18: by Bru (new)

I just saw the updated version of 'Straw Dogs' on DVD. Alexander Skarsgård (blond vampire in True Blood) might be able to pull it off. He's really big. He was playing the bad guy in Straw Dogs and he was swatting James Marsden around like he was a fly.

message 19: by Daman (new)

Daman (damanbahner) | 5 comments It might seem like a stretch, but I think Dolph Lundgren could pull it off a few years ago. Intelligent, and definitely in the size range.

message 20: by Mark (new)

Mark | 1 comments I want to go with Daniel Craig or perhaps Liam Neeson... but Cruise??

message 21: by Ford (new)

Ford Simmons (thefordsimmons) | 1 comments The perfect choice for this role is Hugh Jackman. There is no doubt in my mind about that.

message 22: by Mikel (new)

Mikel | 1 comments I read a summary of some early scenes shown at some movie theater conference, and it sounds exactly like a Tom Cruise movie. As much as I like some of Cruise's action movies (the last Mission Impossible was really good), Jack Reacher is just not a Tom Cruise hero. Regardless of his height (frankly Jackman and Craig aren't much taller as I understand it) a Tom Cruise hero is always so INTENSE, where a Reacher is a calmer personality. If you've seen True Blood, I would have gone with the guy who plays Alcide the werewolf; he's got the height and build, and carries himself with the same economy of movement Child writes so well about.

message 23: by Tialisa (new)

Tialisa | 7 comments I believe the fear for die hard Reacher fans is how far are they willing to stray from the Reacher we know and love to make the movie a commercial success. Let's face it our Reacher is very much in his own head 80% of the time that really doesn't translate to film. I hope they don't go so far as to change the entire story like The Bourne series. The movies were good but had little or nothing to do with the series. Tom Cruise has been box office kryptonite since jumping on Oprah's couch not only do I want to see the movie I want to love the movie without all the hupla of Tom Cruise.

message 24: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Montooth (andrewmontooth) I'm not worried about the in-head problem. They can get over that ala Dune. My problem is: Size matters. There is a lot of movie magic they can do, but when Tom Cruise at 5' 7" walks through a doorway and reaches UP to turn the knob, it's not going to look like a guy 6' 4" 230lbs.

I just watched Mission Impossible 3 (2006) last night and his height was obvious in that one.

Note to all authors awating their breakthrough novel: don't sell the movie rights too early.

message 25: by Tialisa (new)

Tialisa | 7 comments That's why I'm afraid they may stray from the original character to fit Cruise into the role instead of Cruise becoming Jack, Jack becomes Cruise.

message 26: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethkreads) | 2 comments I do like Tom Cruise and love the Mission Impossible movies but he is sooo short! I reckon David Boreanaz would be a way better choice!

message 27: by Anne (new)

Anne | 7 comments Beth wrote: "I do like Tom Cruise and love the Mission Impossible movies but he is sooo short! I reckon David Boreanaz would be a way better choice!"

I hadn't thought of Boreanez... I think I'll add him to my list. My first choices are still Hugh Jackman and Liam Neeson though.

Actually my first choice is Clint Eastwood 40 years ago but my time machine is on the blink at the moment :)

message 28: by Bru (last edited Jun 20, 2012 10:31AM) (new)

Wow, the fans are going for blood in this other comment section. Pretty easy to spot the studio's fake postings, lol.

http://tinyurl.com/btjnvp4

message 29: by Greg (new)

Greg Miller (shrinkray) | 1 comments Was Cruise a Lee Child pick? Maybe after Cruise screws it up, they can reboot the series with better talent.

message 31: by Roddy (new)

Roddy | 16 comments I just watched the trailer and it looks awesome. I agree, it will be different from the books but I also agree that's okay. My only problem is that I may not be able to read another one without the Tom Cruise Reacher in my mind. I will definitely be seeing the film!

message 32: by Tialisa (new)

Tialisa | 7 comments There's no doubt 'll see the movie. It's the only way I can get my Husband interested.

message 33: by Bru (last edited Jul 09, 2012 08:13AM) (new)

@Greg. Apparently, Lee Child was approached by Cruise's people a long time ago. Lee was asked in the following interview whom he had in mind when first imagining Reacher's physical appearance, or indeed his personality? He answered, Lawrence Dallaglio. And yes, Lee is talking about someone else playing the part after Cruise's 3 attempts.
http://tinyurl.com/c7gfffh

This interview answered most of my questions of why this happened. I totally forgot Lee's TV background, makes him comfortable having actors standing on boxes.
http://tinyurl.com/7jcm5xw

message 34: by Anne (new)

Anne | 7 comments Up until seeing the trailer I was convinced that Cruise playing the part was just a rumour.

The film looks as though it would be good... if he wasn't supposed to be Reacher.

message 35: by Gavin (new)

Gavin | 2 comments Anne wrote: "Beth wrote: "I do like Tom Cruise and love the Mission Impossible movies but he is sooo short! I reckon David Boreanaz would be a way better choice!"

I hadn't thought of Boreanez... I think I'll a..."

Nobody said there was a time machine, I'm playing my young Marlon Brando card if that's allowed.

message 36: by Gavin (new)

Gavin | 2 comments It's all about paying public, I've seen guys on stage that would nail Reacher beyond anything Cruise is capable of. The film execs make money and we read books, we're never going to see eye to eye just look at what they did to Stephen King!!!!

message 37: by Kesha Bee (new)

Kesha Bee (kelabee) I was just sitting here with hubby trying to think of ANYONE else who would have made a better Jack Reacher. I think Dominic Purcell would have made a much better Reacher.

message 38: by Carmen (new)

Carmen (mrscarm) I saw the trailer and I am willing to see how Tom Cruise makes Jack Reacher come alive on screen, but to be honest there is no one out there who will ever match my mind's version of Jack Reacher :)

message 39: by Diane (new)

Diane Capri (dianecapri) | 6 comments It's so much fun to dream, right? To think about who we'd choose if we had every option in the world? :-)

message 40: by Roddy (new)

Roddy | 16 comments Ok, how's this for an idea, nobody plays Reacher. The entire film is made through his eyes. We see everything through his eyes. The punches come from the side of the screen, his thoughts are in one tone and what he says is in another. I think there have been some animated shorts made from this angle but I can't recall any entire movie made this way. I haven't thought this all the way through though.

message 41: by Daman (new)

Daman (damanbahner) | 5 comments Roddy wrote: "Ok, how's this for an idea, nobody plays Reacher. The entire film is made through his eyes. We see everything through his eyes. The punches come from the side of the screen, his thoughts are in one..."

That's unique, and could be really cool. Viewpoint would often be looking down of course! If it's done well it would be amazing, done badly and it distracts too much from the plot. Of course, the whole bankable star Hollywood Money Machine aspect might not like that either.

message 42: by Mary Ann (new)

Mary Ann (maryann16) | 4 comments I hope Lee Childs does make a change in who plays Reacher, if another film is made. Tom Cruise just isn't going to make it.
We all have an image of what Reacher looks like physically, BIG-6'2", 250lbs, powerful arms, big neck & powerful. anyway you cut it -not Tom Cruise. I agree James Caviezel would be a candidate. But my top chose is Vin Diesel. Great actor, has played as a marine & has all of the physical qualities needed.

message 43: by Shayne (new)

Shayne | 8 comments I can see a lot of people as Jack Reacher but not Tom Cruise.... come on, are you kidding me!

message 44: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (madlibn) No No No! I don't care how well he acts, he is not our Jack Reacher.

message 45: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Day | 1 comments Joe Manganiello or Alexander Skarsgard would have been fantastic to play Reacher. They both have the height and build that we have become familiar with on Reacher, Skarsgard has the attitude and colouring but Manganiello has the overall aura of Jack Reacher. I fail to see the point if mentioning Reacher's size in every single book only to cast a midget in the role.

message 46: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 5 comments Think I read somewhere that Lee Childs does not expect his readers to see the film...and he felt Cruise would do a good job introducing Jack Reacher to movie-goers. Personally, I'm undecided. I very rarely enjoy a movie as much as the book, and in the case of JR I'm just too taken with him to give up the image I have in my mind.

message 47: by Ruth (last edited Sep 09, 2012 05:37PM) (new)

Ruth (ruthhurd) | 2 comments I just watched the movie "Shooter" this weekend with Mark Wahlberg in it. It could have been a Jack Reacher book! I loved it and all the while I was watching I kept thinking that Mark Wahlberg would make a great Jack Reacher. Maybe not as tall, but bulky, and intimidating, he had the same attitude that Reacher has in the books!

message 48: by Ruth (new)

Ruth (ruthhurd) | 2 comments Barbara wrote: "Think I read somewhere that Lee Childs does not expect his readers to see the film...and he felt Cruise would do a good job introducing Jack Reacher to movie-goers. Personally, I'm undecided. I ver..."

If that is true, I think it is too bad that Lee Child thinks his readers won't see the film. I think it is always exciting when you go to see a movie based on a book and it lives up to your expectations. I love the pictures in my head but I also love seeing those pictures really come to life on the big screen.

message 49: by Diane (new)

Diane Boyd | 3 comments Many times the movie comes nowhere near as good as the book. The Reacher character is such a huge force in the story lines that seeing someone that doesn't stack up playing him is a turn off.

message 50: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy So many excellent choices, it's a shame Tom Cruise had to desire the part, but we know he is pretty savvy business wise.
Did anyone else approach Lee Child about making a movie?

« previous 1 3 4