Lush Library discussion

Your General Reading Challenges > Sophia's 2011 challenges still to finish

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (pageplucker) | 230 comments Mod
I still have three challenges on the go from 2011, two of which will be finishing this year.

The first is the Gothic Reading Challenge, which I pledged to read 10 books for. I've only got one left to read, which will be The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole - supposedly the first proper Gothic novel ever written.

The other is the "Books I Should Have Read by Now" challenge, which I pledged 7 books for. It's a challenge to read books you've had for ages that make you feel a bit guilty for not having got round to them yet. I've got two more books to go for this challenge - Vanity Fair by William Thackeray and My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier.

The other challenge that's still running is a humungous one I really wish I'd never started. It's called the Monthly Mix-up Mania challenge and involves reading books each month that begin with each letter in the month. For instance, I'm just starting a book that begins with O now, for the O in November. Vanity Fair, which I'm reading anyway for the other challenge, starts with V so I'll read that next. Also, I read a book each month which actually starts with the name of the month, so my N book this month was called November, by Gustave Flaubert. It's complicated and quite limiting and not much fun. I might give up but I hate giving up anything! I started this back in April so am supposed to keep going until the end of March, so we shall see if I manage it.

message 2: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirkel) | 1160 comments Mod
Did you complete the first 2? Any for this year?

message 3: by Sophia (new)

Yes! I just made it, finishing The Castle of Otranto on 28th December and My Cousin Rachel on the 31st!

I've signed up for loads in 2012. Back to the Classics challenge to read 9 classics over the year, a sci-fi challenge for 12 (1 per month), Mixing it Up is to read 16 different books in different genres, including some interesting ones I never usually read like graphic novels and a play. Then there's a challenge to read books you've had sitting on your reading pile for more than 6 months (I've got loads of these so I signed up for 40), a non-fiction challenge for 11 books, a World War 1 challenge for 4 books and a random challenge where you find books with particular words in the title (6 books for this one). Plus I'm still doing the Monthly Mix-up challenge until March. Oh, and I set my Goodreads challenge total to 120.

Hope I manage all that lot!

message 4: by Kirsty (new)

wow - I'm impressed. What classics will you read? Sounds like your TBR pile is a bit like mine. For every book I read by the time I've finished I've found at least 2 more. I'm trying to get more participation in our challenge folders so if you fancy making a larger TBR list and/or making threads for each of your challenges so we can watch your progress (and maybe end up with son paired readings/discussion threads) that would be great:)

message 5: by Sophia (new)

The classics challenge is the only one I've pre-planned all the books for, as it has different categories you need to read for. My choices are Jude the Obscure, Anna Karenina, The Catcher in the Rye, Lorna Doone, Journey's End, A Passage to India, The Moonstone, Silas Marner and Kim. Should be an interesting mix. I'll try and remember to post more on here as I progress through them, and I'd love to do a group read if anyone else has one of these on their list.

message 6: by Kirsty (new)

You could take some of the books and enter the 12+3 challenge:)

message 7: by Sophia (new)

OK, I'll pick out the ones that have been on my list for the longest and post them up on the 12+3 board :-)

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky McWilliams Guinness  (billiesue) I quite like the sound of the challenge where you read one book a month beginning with the same first letter of the month!

message 9: by Sophia (new)

Becky wrote: "I quite like the sound of the challenge where you read one book a month beginning with the same first letter of the month!"

If that were all the was to it I'd probably enjoy it more, but I'm reading books for every letter in the month, so for January I've read 7 books, beginning with J, A, N, U, A, R and Y, plus the J book has to begin with the word January (this month I read a dreary romance called A January Chill). It was fine in May and June, but in the longer-named months I have no time to read anything else. It's been ages since I got to read a book beginning with a W or an L!

message 10: by Becky (new)

Becky McWilliams Guinness  (billiesue) Oh wow that does sound worse! There's no way I'd be able to do that!

message 11: by Sophia (new)

I finished it!! All 74 books read! That's the first and last time I do a challenge that's quite so humungous - I'm so glad it's over!

message 12: by Kirsty (new)

Sophia wrote: "I finished it!! All 74 books read! That's the first and last time I do a challenge that's quite so humungous - I'm so glad it's over!"

wow - that's impressive. Well done!