Yoga Folks discussion

Living Your Yoga book discussion > Living Your Yoga favorite lines

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meryl (new)

Meryl Landau (meryldavidslandau) | 804 comments Mod
As before, feel free to add a line or two that was written in a way that really strikes your fancy.

For me, I loved her Mantra for Daily LIving in chapter 2: "Discipline is quality, not quantity."

And the delicious line she cites in chapter 4 (self-judgment): "My friend asked [my 3 year old daughter] if she did yoga, meaning asanas. Looking up from her play, my daughter shook her head no, declaring that she did 'traumayama.' [instead of pranayama]....Her answer reminded me that I, too, practice traumayama. Many times in my practice, as well as in other areas of my life, I responded from a place of judgment."

Meryl Davids Landau

message 2: by Kris (last edited Nov 05, 2011 03:27PM) (new)

Kris (krisg11) | 40 comments The first quote that stood out for me in chapter two "All of life is practice. Practice is not what you get, it is about what you give." The mantra "I give myself fully to each moment" is one that I found helpful to be fully present.

I also enjoyed chapter 6 on perspective. "With our willingness to have perspective, not only do we increase our ability to distinguish the important from the unimportant, we also increase our capacity for compassion toward ourselves and others."

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Chapter 3: "To be detached is to stand in the middle of the marketplace, with all it's confusion and noise, and to remain present to yourself, and to all that is."

Chapter 4: "Honestly involves taking responsibility; judgement has to do with blame."

Chapter 6: "Sell the goat." (So true, and it makes me smile. :-)

message 4: by Meryl (new)

Jen wrote: "Chapter 3: "To be detached is to stand in the middle of the marketplace, with all it's confusion and noise, and to remain present to yourself, and to all that is."...

Yes, I love that one too! There's a big difference between detachment and disinterest, and I'm glad she goes into depth about detachment. The imager of the marketplace really brings that home.

Meryl Davids Landau

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy Greenblatt I love the lines on page 12 that help develop the idea of simplifying your life: "Next, I realized that I could either pay a therapist for a once-a-week session to complain about how I was over-worked, or I could pay a teenage helper to come in for a few hours four afternoons a week. I chose the latter option and ended up saving money as well as contributing to my peace of mind."

message 6: by Meryl (new)

"One day I was filling out a form that asked for my permanent address and whether I owned my home. I may live in the San Francisco Bay Area now, but where is my home after I die? And don't I need permanent possession of something to own it? It appears that I am renting everything for this lifetime."

Great food for thought!

Meryl Davids Landau

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy Greenblatt I like that one, too.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

"I am filled by the life that I have been given."

message 9: by Meryl (new)

"When I love, I am living yoga."

Great words to live by (and to end a book with)!

Meryl Davids Landau

message 10: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie1014) | 195 comments Meryl wrote: ""When I love, I am living yoga."

Great words to live by (and to end a book with)!

Meryl Davids Landau"

Love it!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

"Perhaps happiness is the state that we feel when we find what it is that we can contribute with joy to the world."

Sounds right to me!

message 12: by Amy (last edited Nov 30, 2011 04:42AM) (new)

Amy Greenblatt I like the lines in "Success" that say, "When it comes to our approach to success, we are like a tightrope walker. After all, it does not matter whether she falls to the left or to the right: in either case, she has fallen. In the same way, if we think that success is the solution to our lives and put too much emphasis on it, then we fall to the left. However, if we ignore the material gifts that we have been given, we fall to the right because we miss out on great enjoyment in the world. Finding the balance between these two extremes is how I would define success."'

message 13: by Meryl (new)

Amy wrote: "I like the lines in "Success" that say, "When it comes to our approach to success, we are like a tightrope walker. After all, it does not matter whether she falls to the left or to the right: in ..."

Thanks for pointing out that idea, Amy. I loved that too. I think it's so important in our spiritual pursuits not to downplay the material world; we're here living in it, so I think we should enjoy it.

Meryl Davids Landau

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy Greenblatt There are so many good ideas in this book! When I first read it ten years ago, age 36, compared to reading it now, I notice I find different ideas are more relevant now than they were then. I'm glad to be taking another look now with different eyes and life experiences behind me.

message 15: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie1014) | 195 comments Amy wrote: "There are so many good ideas in this book! When I first read it ten years ago, age 36, compared to reading it now, I notice I find different ideas are more relevant now than they were then. I'm g..."

Amy, isn't it interesting when we read a book, then pick it up years later to read again?! It's neat how our minds and opinions change. :)