108A TE Fall 2011 discussion

Stealing Freedom
This topic is about Stealing Freedom
Stealing Freedom

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle | 6 comments I am already liking this book a bit more than Elijah of Buxton. I enjoy the characters description and how this time the narrator is a young girl, giving the readers a different perspective than the last book. The pace of the book is really good as well. I spent one afternoon reading up until the half of the book because I couldn't wait to see what happened.
At this point I am wondering what Ann's parents are up to and if they have located her two brothers yet. Ann is also very resourceful and clever. The master's niece Sarah is starting to annoy me but at least Ann tricked her into learning her letters, allowing Ann to read. I honestly don't know what will happen next but am excited to see if Ann can escape back to her family.

message 2: by Kiersten (new)

Kiersten Thym | 5 comments I, too, read the first half of this book in one sitting because it was just a page-turner. I really enjoyed how the pace was quicker than Elijah of Buxton. They barely set the scene as I had to turn back a few pages to figure out who was who. I thought it was weird that the book is in Ann's point of view, but it is not first person. I don't know why, but it just threw me off.
I am especially enjoying the little fling between Ann and Alfred. It is just too cute and it helps Ann get a little escape from her miserable situation. As of now, I am wondering, will Ann really leave Alfred? If so, will they reunite later? What adventures will come if she does leave?
Also, I am interested to see if her master plays a bigger part in her freedom as he is now a slave trader. His business seems suspicious.
Excited to see what else will happen and I really want to finish the book!

message 3: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Galindo | 5 comments I agree with you girls. I am also enjoying this book more because there are so many things happening that I wish I could just read it all at once! I want to know how it ends already. Is Ann Maria ever reuniting with her parents and brothers? Will she be able to steal back her freedom? What will happen between her and Alfred? When will she decide to escape? I have so many questions and I hope they are answered by the end of the book!
Unlike Elijah of Buxton, this book does describe slavery in a more vivid way. It makes me think of all the injustices that happened during this era. I agree with Michelle that it is nice to have a female's perspective on slavery, specially coming from a young girl.
I am excited to know what will happen, I can't wait to read it all!

message 4: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Huston | 6 comments I have to agree with you all, I like Stealing Freedom a lot and I think it's a quicker and more interesting read than Elijah of Buxton. I think the character development has been great so far, and is more realistic about what slavery was like. I also think it's really interesting that the book is based on a true story.
I agree with Michelle, I can’t stand Sarah and I have a bad feeling she is going to cause problems for Ann, maybe by telling her aunt and uncle about Ann’s relationship with Alfred. I obviously dislike that Master Charles is now a slave trader, but I think that story line will give more insight into what life was like during the 1850’s for slaves.
I wonder why Ann’s father couldn’t choose to stay with Ann and Master Charles since he is not a slave, and he could continue to work for Master Charles. I think that most of the family will be able to reunite at some point in the story, but I don’t think the family will ever be able to safe Benjamin though, since he was so young when he was sold off, and he was sold by himself. I also think that Ann is going to have an opportunity to be bought by Mr. Bigelow sometime in the future, but I think leaving Alfred and their relationship is going to cause some conflict for her, and I think she may choose to stay in Rockville with him.
I’m very excited to read the rest of the story, and I think I might go home and finish it after our conversation on Friday!

message 5: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Huston | 6 comments And by safe Benjamin, I meant save Benjamin.

message 6: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Galindo | 5 comments 2nd post for Stealing Freedom

Stealing Freedom is one of the best books I have read so far. I enjoyed reading about Ann Maria’s journey to freedom and all that she, and the people around her, had to go through. Unlike Elijah of Buxton, I was happy with the ending of Stealing Freedom. Ann deserved to be happy and enjoying freedom with her love Alfred is the best way that she could enjoy it. The author also did a great job explaining what what happened to the rest of her family, and how they all reached freedom as well. It is almost unbelievable everything that Ann had to go through to reach freedom. This book did a great job describing how the Underground Railroad functioned. I was fascinated by all the people that helped Ann, and how they were all connected to each other. And to think that this book is based on the real life of Ann Maria Weems, makes the story extra special.
There was this instant in the book where I did think that Ann was going to get caught and that was going to be the end for her. This was when the slave catchers and their hounds wanted to inspect her again. I thought that Revered Freeman was going to give them both in since he was so tense and nervous. But Ann was very smart and knew how to distract their attention by feeding the hounds.
I would recommend this book to others. Stealing Freedom is an inspiring book filled with adventures and historical facts to teach about slavery and the Underground Railroad. I believe that after reading this book, a young adult would have a better sense of what many African Americans had to go through during this era. I know I learned much more about this subject and I have a better understanding of what it meant to be a slave during the mid 1800s.

message 7: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle | 6 comments 2nd post for Stealing Freedom

Alondra I don't know if I could have said it better! I agree with you on all your points. This book was seriously a great book. I actually felt much more teary eyed with this book than with Elijah of Buxton. There was a connection with Ann Maria's journey and the great details used to describe the Underground Railroad. I loved learning about the code names and structure of passing her from one person to the next on her eventual journey to Canada. The moment where the slave catchers came onto the train also scared me and I really thought wow, after all this? I was also taken with the nice rise and fall of the book. From slavery and losing all of her family, Ann Maria really overcomes so many obstacles. The story was captivating and the ending a happy ending that she deserved. I wasn't without questions though, such as learning more about the characters that took her on her journey. As Ann Maria realizes, these people are taking a great risk in helping her and I wonder how Reverend Freeman goes back without any problems or if he does encounter problems. Overall a great book that keeps you literally glued to each page. I'm glad we picked this one as our follow up book!

message 8: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Huston | 6 comments I absolutely loved the book “Stealing Freedom”. I think the way it was written and the fact that it’s based on a real story makes it so interesting and engaging. I read the whole book in two sittings because it was so interesting. I had anxiety for the last few chapters after Ann was “kidnapped” by Powder Boy that she was going to get caught by slave catchers. I was especially nervous when they were on the train stopped right before the Canadian border.
I think Ann’s story is one that really shows how terrifying and uncertain life was living as a slave in the 1800’s, and how dangerous it was to be involved with the Underground Railroad. I felt much more of a connection to Ann’s story and the admirable situations of the people who opened up their houses for runaway slaves. I really enjoyed reading the author’s note after the book ended that explained what happened with Ann, her family, and the other people involved in the story.
I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who wanted to read up on a book that is based on a true story about slavery and the Underground Railroad.

message 9: by Kiersten (new)

Kiersten Thym | 5 comments Ok so my post is lost, but I , too, loved this book. I thought that the Underground Railroad was a tunnel underground that people walked on in the dark all the way to Canada. I really liked being able to read a book that actually told us what the Underground Railroad was because teachers never really explained it clearly to me. I liked how Ann Maria had a happy ending to her story and I just loved her little reunion with Alfred. So CUTE! That definitely was great to have a little romance in the story, but if I read this with my class, I wonder how the boys would respond? Is it just a girly story or would everyone like it?