Chick Lit discussion

Question from a writer - are chick lit tastes changing?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michele (new)

Michele Gorman Hello lovely readers,

As a chick lit writer, I'd love all of your opinions because there's been so much kerfuffle about chick lit lately, with its demise gleefully predicted by many critics.

Two questions:
- Are the critics right, are women getting tired of chick lit?
- Is the genre changing, moving away from light, funny chick lit towards more weighty issues?

Thanks!
Mx
Single in the City

message 2: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (jhinds) Hi,
I think that I still love the style of chick lit. I like reading a book that has a upbeat modern feel to it. Sometimes you just need a break from the heavy, vampire fueled, and intense stories. I personally love to read different types of reading styles as authors progress in their careers. For example Jenifer Cruise.
I also love to read chick lit authors that can take a emotional or diffcult subject or siutation andmake it into a uplifting story. One that I can walk away from it and it stands out of the books I've
read.

message 3: by Aileen (new)

Aileen I love Chick Lit the critics are wrong, and I hope it will be around for along time to come.

message 4: by Michele (new)

Michele Gorman Thanks Janelle and Aileen, from the posts here and on chick lit book club, it's clear that a) chick lit fans love these books for their ability to make them smile and disengage from their busy lives for a little while and b) it's the industry (writers included) who are concerned about the label ... the readers just know a good book when they see one!

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) I can't imagine that chick lit won't be around for a long time. After all, there's always been that kind of fiction. Back in the day, my mom read books like Please Don't Eat the Daisies, and that was basically chick lit (although they didn't call it that back then, lol.)

I think trying to follow industry trends isn't a good idea for writers. I'd say write what you want and worry about selling it later ;)

message 6: by Michele (new)

Michele Gorman I think you're right Michelle - if we follow trends we're invariably going to be behind the curve. I'll stick to happy chick lit!

message 7: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 9 comments I don't know about women in general, but I am tired of formulaic books. Like romance, there are many chick-lit books that I read the first few pages and feel like I've read this book before because there is nothing much different in the tone, plot or characters. After reading some 440+ chick books, I tend to gravitate toward books written by English authors (as opposed to American authors) because they tend to have some central conflict or issue the main character must change or realize in order to move on.

message 8: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 26 comments I'm like you Sharon, I don't like reading a different title and same book. I like stories to be different.

message 9: by Michele (new)

Michele Gorman Thanks Sharon and Arch, I think that some of the samey-samey nature of books comes from publishers feeling like they've hit upon a winning formula and buying/encouraging more of the same. And you're right, the key is in the word 'formula'. As a chick lit book, it will follow a formula of sorts (with romance as a central theme) but there are many ways to approach that romance, so they should be fresh. Whether that freshness comes from writing style/tone or characterization or narrative arch/stumbling blocks to the character's development, it must be there or the reader will be frustrated.

message 10: by Ana (last edited Nov 22, 2011 12:18PM) (new)

Ana I personally have nothing against cliches (ex. a gay best friend, a journalist or a lawyer as a main character etc, a wedding planner) etc etc. What I DO care about is the author's writing style. The plot can't always be original, especially when it comes to romances..but me personally, I enjoy the humor in the chick lit books! I read tons of psychology and philosophy books, but when I need to chill I always grab a chick lit book! People underestimate this genre, but what they DON'T realize is that sometimes it seems that the hardest thing to do is to make the reader laugh and forget about his/hers everyday problems. I think I would go crazy if I didn't read a chick lit from time to time.
Yes, there are some bad chick lit books..but it's all mainly the author's fault, his/hers writing skill and talent. At least, that's what I think:)

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) Yes, there are times when a formulaic book isn't a bad thing. After all, I watch a lot of LifeTime movies, and nine times out of ten, I know exactly where the plot is headed. Sometimes, you just want to relax with a book and not think too hard.

But I couldn't handle a steady diet of formula, either. I enjoy Meg Cabot and a few other American chick-lit writers, but I like to branch out to things that aren't 100% chick lit such as books by Jodi Picoult. Although, come to think of it, that may be more of women's fiction rather than chick lit.

And Ananda, you are so right...humor is a must!