Amazon Kindle & Fire discussion

Books and Reading > Need a Short Story Recommendation!

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika (new)

Erika Tamblin (ETamblin) | 1 comments Hello All,
My name is Marybeth and I have really been into short stories ever since a friend got me hooked on Elle Lapraim, now I need more! I love that I can read short stories in one or two sittings. So if you know of any other great short story authors, please let me know!
Thanks,
Marybeth

message 2: by Eric (new)

Eric Raymond Carver, Harlan Ellison, John Cheever, Ray Bradbury.

message 3: by Jennifer (last edited Nov 05, 2011 07:09PM) (new)

Jennifer | 293 comments Mod
Considering the fantasy books you've read, you might like this collection: A Land of Ash. I'll second John Cheever and Ray Bradbury as well!

message 4: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 77 comments Seconding Harlan Ellison and Ray Bradbury.

Although Harlan Ellison is not the "easiest" reading out there ... a lot of his work is dark and thought provoking.

message 5: by Eric (new)

Eric I love his essays.

message 6: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 77 comments Me too. He's my favorite author. I have both The Glass Teat and The Other Glass Teat, which, as far as I know, are out of print, which is unfortunate.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Hi Marybeth. You didn't specify if you're looking for free or what short stories. A freebie that I just finished and liked is Before The White Rose It includes excerpts to Hinze's Seashore Trilogy.
If you like paranormal, these are really good, but cost about $2.99 each:
Devil to Pay, Magic Graves: One for the Money / A Questionable Client, Happily Never After

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 293 comments Mod
I'm also partial to Mark Twain stories!

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Eric wrote: "Raymond Carver, Harlan Ellison, John Cheever, Ray Bradbury."

I raced through all of Harlan Ellison's collections in college - I absolutely loved them. I just finished a collection by Jim Shepard You Think That's Bad I will be looking for more of his work.

message 10: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollybourque) | 1 comments If you like horror, Clive Barker's "Books of Blood" is a great collection of shorts.

If you like literary fiction, check out John Updike. He's got countless short story collections, all very good.

If you like animal stories, try James Harriot's Dog Stories. Not sure if this is in print anymore or not, but I loved, loved, loved this collection!