Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Group Info > Poll results were almost a tie!

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (last edited Nov 05, 2011 08:26AM) (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Therefore, Jon and I consulted and agree that we will continue with Liveship Traders for December, meanwhile nominating and voting on a new series to start in January.

Any objections? Comments?

Meanwhile the Malazan discussion continues to be lively!

I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps we should discuss more than one series at a time. What do you all think?

message 2: by Helen (new)

Helen Hurray! I was going to carry on anyway. I've been considering joing the Malazan but a new series that I can read with others would be easier.

message 3: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 212 comments I think that sounds like a good plan. I didn't vote in the poll because I'm intending to continue on with the Liveship series, but I was willing to look at a new series also. So, in a way my "vote" happened =)

message 4: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlyanne) | 4 comments Delighted with this outcome, and no problems reading more than one series at a time (since I am typically reading multiple books at a time anyway).

Excellent.

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments So glad you all are liking our solution.

message 6: by Helen (new)

Helen I'll have finished my Fortress read too by then so will have a series shaped hole!

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mikeylou) | 1 comments Hi, I'm new. =)

I voted in the poll for a new series as I had already read Robin Hobb's books (she doesn't write fast enough. But I tend to say that about all of the authors I like) and was hoping to have the opportunity to prepare and start participating from scratch and on the same level as the others.

I don't want to be the voice of dissent, but I think that by choosing the option that received fewer votes, it has cheapened the voting process itself, and may result in fewer people willing to vote in the future. I know I'm sitting here and kinda going... why'd I even vote....

I may, however, order a copy of Initiate's Trial and see how long that takes to arrive. I can't remember how long it took for Stormed Fortress to arrive when I ordered that from amazon.uk.

message 8: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Michelle, I believe we still plan to do a new series, to start in January. We will nominate titles, probably during November or early December, and then vote in December, leaving enough time for people to purchase the first book of the next series before January.

I think we also plan to continue the Robin Hobb series (for those who wish to continue). We don't have to restrict this group to just one or two series. There are enough people and enough series to go around. :)

Hope that helps (and Sandra et al. correct me if I misstated).

Thanks, Jon

message 9: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments No, Jon. That's correct. @Michelle, all we are doing is postponing the new series beginning until after the holidays, as people are largely very busy during that time.

And welcome to the group.

message 10: by Leon (new)

Leon Aldrich (tnavres) You can't always gauge true activity based solely on comment participation. I'm active in several communities, plus social media pursuits. And even though super human, I'm constrained by the 24 hour day like other mortals (humor intended).

The point is many will eyeball what is going on within this group and rarely if ever comment; practically invisible. But their presence can still be felt.

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments That's right!

message 12: by Likos (new)

Likos X (likosx) | 10 comments Sounds good starting a new series in Jan... just a question: since many members of this group belong to the twin fantasy group too, what happen if the group will choose a series of which the other group have already read the first book? Here we restart from the first one or we will go on with the series without rereading it?

message 13: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Likos wrote: "Sounds good starting a new series in Jan... just a question: since many members of this group belong to the twin fantasy group too, what happen if the group will choose a series of which the other ..."

HM, good question. The first series we read was chosen AFTER the FBC had already read and discussed the first two books...I believe I put up links to the discussions there for those who hadn't read them. But my memory is faulty.

message 14: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe (theneveronlinechick) lol