Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ann's October books

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited Nov 06, 2011 10:15AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments Finally posting my books for October! I had eight of them, a high for the year and I am unlikely to top it for a monthly total anytime soon.
Best of the month was Rules of Civility, I highly recommend it.
Very good books included
Galveston: A Novel (really gritty)
Graveminder
Robert B. Parker's Killing the Blues
The Cut (Pelecanos!)
Glad I read
Ruined
Obsidian Prey
Martin Misunderstood

Marr, Melissa Graveminder finished 10/23/2011 Library 9 of 10. It was not exactly what I expected, and yet, compelling to read, which was apt given the theme of the story. Likable characters and curiosity drove me to continue reading long after it was due at the library and it was worth it in the end to know what happened. The mark of a good story, the reader is left to ponder several questions about what continues and what changes after the denouement. 

Morris, Paula Ruined finished 10/29/2011 Library 8 of 10 YA mysterious questions unfold amid the atmospheric New Orleans Garden District, a teeming miasma of life and death, of the haves and the have not's. Paula Morris captures the almost palpable feel and scent and bearing of both the historical and modern New Orleans.

Pelecanos, George The Cut finished 10/7/2011 Library 8+ of 10 The Cut is gritty, engaging and with just the right touch of family loyalty - showing how it can be a true support system, and how it can fail. With George Pelecanos, the reality of life on the streets and near the streets of a vivid, living breathing urban landscape is in your face and palpable.

Castle, Jayne Obsidian Prey finished 10/1/2011 Library Kindle(loved that!) 8+ of 10 I always know a trip to Harmony won't disappoint, the mysterious future world including the Old Quarter and underground are fascinating places to visit.

Towles, Amor Rules of Civility finished 10/14/2011 Audio 9+ of 10 The immersion into 1938 NYC was so complete I felt I was walking the streets and listening to music in the clubs or eating in the restaurants along with Katey, Tinker, Eve, Wallace, Hank, Dickie; they all seem like old friends after this fascinating glimpse into their lives and the world as it was then.

Brandman, Michael Robert B Parker's Killing the Blues finished 10/9/2011 Library 9 of 10 A world without a new Jesse Stone novel on the horizon is a lesser world. Robert B. Parker's Stone franchise is in good hands with Michael Brandman. There were moments when I felt the loss of the author, and moments where I was simply glad to have another chance to enter this world. It felt similar to the TV movies and Tom Selleck as Jesse in a way that the previous books did not which makes a lot of sense considering that Brandman is behind the screenplays.

Pizzolotto, Nic Galveston finished 10/25/2011 Audio 9 of 10 Nic Pizzolotto's Galveston surprises and satisfies, partly due to the stellar narration by Michael Kramer, partly due to the spare, gritty story and hard luck characters, and partly, due to a strong and thought provoking ending. 

Slaughter, Karin Martin Misunderstood finished 10/22/2011 Audio 8 of 10 a short stand alone audio book, my determination to finish audio books I started kept me listening. I had downloaded this one from audible.com and was determined to finish it while walking when solo. Glad I did, but the brevity and depth of the story didn't hold up well over the length of time I took to read it. (my fault, not the book's)

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments I had thought about reading GRAVEMINDER, but read a short story that was based in that world and decided to give it a pass. I like her Wicked Lovely books, but don't know about this one. Liked RUINED about the same as you did. And while I liked THE CUT, it was definitely far from my favorite Pelecanos book. Something about Spero I just didn't like.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments Melodie: I could have taken or left Graveminder, once I started (and it really grabbed me at first and then it changed dramatically) I stuck with it, but can't really say go read it.
I know what you mean about the Spero character in The Cut. He isn't the kind of MC that you immediately love.
Melodie wrote: "I had thought about reading GRAVEMINDER, but read a short story that was based in that world and decided to give it a pass.
..And while I liked THE CUT, it was definitely far from my favorite Pelecanos book. Something about Spero I just didn't like. "

message 4: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3620 comments Melodie wrote: "I had thought about reading GRAVEMINDER, but read a short story that was based in that world and decided to give it a pass. I like her Wicked Lovely books, but don't know about this one. Liked RU..."

the thing that annoyed me most about spero was that his last name was lucas and pelecanos referred to him as lucas sometimes..lol

message 5: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Great month, Ann. Rules of Civility sounds interesting and on amazon.com the author has some info about a concurrent interest in the jazz music of the time. Sounds like I might have to explore this further.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments Marcy, THANK YOU so much! I hadn't seen this on Amazon and loved reading the comments and having access to the Jazz playlist. I may just have to add these to my Nano, it was great background info especially the Carnegie Hall Jazz concert!
My Father loved the music of this era and I grew up listening to many of those Big Band songs.
I thought of him often as I listened to the audio book. It is a wonderful book.
Marcy wrote: "Rules of Civility sounds interesting and on amazon.com the author has some info about a concurrent interest in the jazz music of the time."

message 7: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Thank you for the book recommendation! I'm slowly acquiring a taste for jazz and also grew up with parents who always listened to the Big Band music, so I'll have to check it out further.

message 8: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1610 comments Loved your review of Killing the Blues ;) Maybe there will be more Tom Selleck movies in our future!

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments Thanks, Susie! I sure hope there are! I can never get enough opportunities to see Tom Selleck. :)
Susie in KS wrote: "Loved your review of Killing the Blues ;) Maybe there will be more Tom Selleck movies in our future!"

message 10: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7898 comments Ann, as you know I agree with your review of Killing the Blues. Looks like you had a great and varied month. I still have not visited Jayne Castle's future world. Maybe sometime, well, in the future.