The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Report for Duty > Hi, I'm Tom from the Argentina wine country...

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (last edited Nov 05, 2011 07:52AM) (new)

Tom Torkelson I'm still new at Goodreads, and looking for a few groups that reflect my reading preferences, and maybe even turn me on to some new tastes. I like thrillers and crime mysteries.
I'm also in the "Nordic Noir" group, which centers on crime and murder mysteries by Scandinavian authors, a la "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo".
I recently rinished "The Bone Collector", by Jefferey Deaver, and loved it!

message 2: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (hayes13) | 2060 comments Mod
Hi Tom, and welcome to the group. We've had a few "Nordic" books as group reads. You can find the conversations in the "Group Reads" folder. And you'll get a lot of ideas for new things to read here. Too many in fact!

If you need help with anything, just give a shout.

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom Torkelson Thanks, Hayes. I look forward to recommendations and group reads. I'm currently reading "Jar City" as a Nordic Noir group read and enjoying it.
Ciao

message 4: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8944 comments Mod
Hi! Do you like Argentinian writers? I'm currently finishing Claudia Pineiro's All Yours , and before that, Sachieri's The Secret in Their Eyes. I hope you find a group you like!

message 5: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Welcome to the group Tom. I read Jar City some time ago with my in person group, enjoyed it, and I hear the rest of the series is good too.

message 6: by Tom (new)

Tom Torkelson Nancy wrote: "Hi! Do you like Argentinian writers? I'm currently finishing Claudia Pineiro's All Yours , and before that, Sachieri's The Secret in Their Eyes. I hope you find a group you like!"

I haven't read any Argentine authors, either translated or in Spanish. I saw the movie, though, adapted from Sachieri's book; a bit slow for my tastes , but probably a great read. I might have to take a look at these books. Thanks!

message 7: by Tom (new)

Tom Torkelson Donna wrote: "Welcome to the group Tom. I read Jar City some time ago with my in person group, enjoyed it, and I hear the rest of the series is good too."

Thanks for the welcome. I'm really enjoying Jar City, and will probably try and read at least the next in the series, Silence of the Grave, before I get into anything else. That seems to be my problem lately; starting series without reading further...

message 8: by Georgia (new)

Georgia | 537 comments If you like Nordic Thrillers, read Jo Nesbitt, The Snowman. You might like it. Love Stieg Larson and I think I read a book by an author whose last name is Pederson or Peterson. Forgot. I will go look it up unless someone can come up with it.

message 9: by Jerold (last edited Nov 07, 2011 08:17PM) (new)

Jerold Last (goodreadscomjerold_last) | 252 comments Hi Tom: I've published two mystery books this year that should interest you---the first is The Empanada Affair, which is set in Salta a few provinces north of you. If you like Salta (city and province), you'll like the book.

The second book, entitled "The Ambivalent Corpse", was just published and is set mainly in Montevideo. It is a faster paced mystery novel featuring the same characters as The Empanada Affair. The book has received three 4-star reviews this far, of which the following is typical:

"Quite a fast moving mystery", November 7, 2011

"A grisly corpse, lots of South American food and wine, and lots of descriptive tourism. Once all the intros are done the action moves quickly and you just can't stop reading. Quite a fast moving mystery with an interesting plot. An easy fast read." The Ambivalent Corpse

message 10: by Tom (new)

Tom Torkelson Georgia wrote: "If you like Nordic Thrillers, read Jo Nesbitt, The Snowman. You might like it. Love Stieg Larson and I think I read a book by an author whose last name is Pederson or Peterson. Forgot. I will go..."

The Snowman is one of the latter books in the Harry Hole series by Jo Nesbo, which I started last month. Great reading! I'm looking forward to reading more from the series...
Cheers, and thanks for the note!

message 11: by Tom (new)

Tom Torkelson Jerry wrote: "Hi Tom: I've published two mystery books this year that should interest you---the first is The Empanada Affair, which is set in Salta a few provinces north of you. If you like Salt..."
Thanks for the recommendations! They both sound interesting; I'll put them both on my to-read list!

message 12: by Jerold (new)

Jerold Last (goodreadscomjerold_last) | 252 comments Tom: I hope you enjoy both books. If I were recommending one over the other, start with the second book, The Ambivalent Corpse.