South Shore Readers discussion

Book Clubs- Past > Ideas for 2012 Book Club Choices

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jessica (last edited Jul 29, 2012 05:51PM) (new)

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) | 1104 comments Mod
What books would you like the group to read in 2012? Post your ideas here. We will vote at the meetings.

General guidelines: book should be available in paperback and be under 400 pages.

See the 2011 version of this topic here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

Books we've already selected for 2012:
January: House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
February: Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin
March: Seductive Poison: A Jonestown Survivor's Story of Life and Death in the People's Temple by Deborah Layton
April: Rabbit, Run by John Updike
May: Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum
June: Swamplandia! by Karen Russell
July: Before I Go To Sleep: A Novel by S.J. Watson
August: Townie by Andre Dubus III
September: Defending Jacob by William Landay
October: Lost Boy Lost Girl by Peter Straub
November: The Night Circus Erin Morgenstern
December:

message 3: by Jessica (new)

anyone else have any thoughts on book selections for 2012? we will be picking the next few books at our January meeting.

message 4: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 491 comments Mod
Annabel by Kathleen Winter looks interesting.

message 5: by Jessica (new)

that does look interesting!

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 22 comments The Night Circus
by Erin Morgenstern

I think this could be a possibility =)

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 131 comments The ninth wife... Amy Stolls

message 8: by Jessica (new)

The Night Circus has caught my eye as well, Michelle!

Melissa, any book who's blurb starts with "What sane woman..." has to have some great discussion points built in.

message 9: by Denise (last edited Jan 03, 2012 02:37PM) (new)

Denise (ribeachgirl) | 126 comments I'd like to give this one a try:
The Coroner's Lunch

And, I still vote for Seductive Poison about Jonestown as a non-fiction selection.

message 10: by Nancy (last edited Jan 07, 2012 07:35AM) (new)

Nancy (nancy_m) | 39 comments I third The Night Circus. I'm strangely fascinated by Jonestown so put me on the list for Seductive Poison.

What about

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

message 11: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Tingle (httpwwwgoodreadscomktingle) | 6 comments Hi everyone. I'm sure you'll think of me as a self-promoting author. However, my book The Girl in the Italian Bakery has had more success the past few weeks than the previous 3 years! There have been 60,000 downloads to Kindle since late Dec. I don't really need to self-promote at this point. But the book is local to you and it is especially rewarding to me to hear from people in my neck of the woods. I hope you will give it a chance.

Sincerely,

Kenneth Tingle
Author, The Girl in the Italian Bakery

message 12: by Joanie (new)

Hi Kenneth,
We might not think of you a just a self promoting author if you joined in a conversation and talked about something other than your book...just saying.

message 13: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Tingle (httpwwwgoodreadscomktingle) | 6 comments I'm all ears, what do you want to talk about?

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 22 comments I would like to know some of your favorite authors... (I've always wanted to ask an author that lol)

message 15: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Tingle (httpwwwgoodreadscomktingle) | 6 comments Hi Lisa,

I love George Orwell, John Knowles, John Steinbeck, and others. How about you?

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 131 comments Night circus sounds good... Seductive poison seems a bit heavy after house of leaves.

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 22 comments Hmmm,
I like a variety of authors, some of my favorites are Wally Lamb, Betty Smith, Janet Evanovich, and John Shors. I actually met John Shors at a signing last year right before Thanksgiving and he is just an incredible person!

message 18: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Tingle (httpwwwgoodreadscomktingle) | 6 comments Lisa,
I don't know much about those authors, unfortunately. But I do appreciate you taking the time to message me. The marketing of my book has been such a grind the last few years, but recently it has really started to pay off. In the last month there have been 60,000 downloads to Kindle and the paperback sales spiked for a while also.When I write, I try to make people think and leave an impression on them. I do try to add a few good laughs also. Hope you are having a great New Year!

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 22 comments Thanks for the taking the time to chat! I just got a Kindle for Christmas and I will have to check out your book, I like that it has a local connection to the Boston area. =)

message 20: by Denise (new)

Denise (ribeachgirl) | 126 comments Seductive Poison might be a bit heavy after House of Leaves. How about an alternate non-fiction selection:
Confessions of a Prairie Bitch How I Survived Nellie Oleson and Learned to Love Being Hated by Alison Arngrim

That looks hilarious.

message 21: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 131 comments i concur! i damn near fell off my chair laughing.

message 22: by Jessica (new)

Maybe we can put Seductive poison a few months out. Have something lighter for February. Prarie Bitch might fit the bill.

message 23: by Joanie (new)

I would love to read Prairie Bitch!!! I also just got Prairie Tales by Melissa Gilbert (it was .50 a the library book sale-I couldn't resist!)

To add another book for another month Crooked Letter Cooked Letter looks good.

message 24: by Jessica (new)

Okay, I've got all of these suggestions in a word doc that I will print and bring to the meeting today so that we can vote on our next few books!

message 26: by Jessica (new)

We will be picking a new batch of books at the next meeting. Any new ideas?

message 27: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 59 comments Binocular Vision - Edith Pearlman
Before I Go To Sleep - S. J. Watson
The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood - Marjane Satrapi (powerful graphic novel/memoir of growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. I read it last Spring and am itching to return to it.)

message 28: by Jason (new)

Jason (ancatdubh2) Hi, I'm from the Boston area (though not the South Shore). I joined your book club to give myself some further reading options in between books, as I'm in other book clubs. Just letting you know that if you choose S.J. Watson or the Margaret Atwood one, I will definitely read along with you folks.

I will also join in if you choose White Noise or Room with a View, as per Jessica's post above.

I would have joined in w/ Updike but I joined too late and can't squeeze it in.

message 29: by Denise (new)

Denise (ribeachgirl) | 126 comments Kosher Chinese: Living, Teaching, and Eating with China's Other Billion

Did we have this on the table at the January meeting? Or did I just randomly pick this up somewhere?
For fiction - I'm good with everything on the list. I have read A Room with a View, but it was back in high school, so a re-read is probably in order.

message 30: by Joanie (new)

I don't know Denise, the cover looks familiar though. Maybe we did talk about it.

I have been wanting to read Before I Go to Sleep too. I read [Persepolis] I & II as well as Embroideries but it's been a while and I would read them again.

message 31: by Joanie (new)

How about Defending Jacob? I think the author is local too so it would help with the "reading locally" challenge too!

message 32: by Jason (new)

Jason (ancatdubh2) Defending Jacob was excellent.

message 33: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 59 comments I won't be able to attend the April meeting but please post ASAP the next to-read so I can get started.

message 34: by Joanie (new)

How about the next "Rabbit" book? I think we're all dying for more.

message 35: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 131 comments @ joanie: indeed. :)

message 36: by Jessica (new)

Lol. Run away from the rabbit! See you all tomorrow.

message 37: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 131 comments what about "those who save us?" i know jessica is reading for another book club, and i just read it a week ago. I think it would be a great discussion book, and it was really well done. It is a subject that fascinates me, and i have the book "frauen: german women recall the third reich" on my bookshelf to read.

message 38: by Jessica (new)

I just started that book and am only about 5 pages in. I am totally not going to finish it for my other book club meeting on Wednesday so I fully expect to be flogged by that group. ;)

From what I've read of it, it would be a good choice.

Denise, I think that Kosher chinese book was one that was on the bookstores recommendation shelf so was in the mix at our last selection meeting though it wasn't on this list. I would definitely be interested in reading it.

Defending Jacob sounds interesting. As does Before I Go to Sleep.

Persepolis and Handmaid's Tale are amongst my favorites.

message 39: by Jessica (last edited Apr 29, 2012 12:03PM) (new)

Picks are in for next set of books. Each meeting will be at 1 PM on the last Sunday of the month.

May: Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum
June: Swamplandia! by Karen Russell
July: Before I Go To Sleep: A Novel by S.J. Watson

message 41: by Jason (new)

Jason (ancatdubh2) That's great you guys pick a few at a time for the next several months. I think I'd like to join you for the July read. I'll be active about it in the discussion group, but I probably won't meet you in person. Just curious--how many of you folks usually meet in person and do you all know each other?

message 42: by Jessica (new)

A typical meeting usually has somewhere between 4-8 people at it. There are about 6 or so regulars. A couple of us knew eachother before this group but most met here through the South Shore Readers group on goodreads.

message 43: by Denise (new)

Denise (ribeachgirl) | 126 comments I'd like to add two more suggestions to the pot, both of which were recommended to me by other people (sort of):
This one was on "Chris's Picks" on Christopher Moore's website.
Love and Other Near-Death Experiences
This one was read and well-liked by my friend Alicia:
Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir

Both purport to be funny but with dark undertones. Let's call that "my thing".

message 44: by Jessica (new)

Those look good!

Here are a few I've jotted down:

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt

Townie by Andre Dubus III (would count towards the group's local reading challenge!)

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

message 45: by Jason (new)

Jason (ancatdubh2) That deWitt one is very good. Fun. And short!

message 46: by Jessica (new)

I've updated message 40 to contain the more recent suggestions.

message 47: by Joanie (new)

The Night Circus is now in paperback-whohoo!

message 48: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 59 comments Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

message 49: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 0 comments Jackie wrote: "Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn"

I'm reading that now on my Kindle - VERY good!

message 50: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 131 comments gone girl was a PHENOMENAL book. i stayed in bed a whole sunny saturday to finish it.

« previous 1