Dreamspinner Press discussion

Nessa L. Warin
This topic is about Nessa L. Warin
Meet the Author > Meet Nessa L. Warin

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dreamspinner (new)

Dreamspinner Press (dreamspinnerpress) | 2637 comments Mod
Nessa L. Warin joins us today to chat about her newest release, Sauntering Vaguely Downward, her upcoming release in the Advent Calendar, and more!

message 2: by Nessa (new)

Nessa Warin (nessalwarin) | 50 comments Hello everyone! Getting started a little early, but I'm at the computer, so why not? I'm hoping you'll join me today for some chat, excerpts from my new book, Sauntering Vaguely Downward as well as my upcoming Advent Calendar novella, and a couple giveaways.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have, and let me know if you'd like to register for my giveaways--an electronic copy of Sauntering Vaguely Downward and an electronic copy of Mergers and Acquisitions.

message 3: by Nessa (new)

Nessa Warin (nessalwarin) | 50 comments I'll start by posting an excerpt from Sauntering Vaguely Downward. This takes place fairly early on in the story, when the two main characters meet for the first time.

DYLAN is about ready to call it quits, leave a message at the desk, and head over to registration. Dontbelieve31 can just wait for him to get his badge at this point—he’s forty-five minutes late and it’s bordering on preposterous. He hasn’t even e-mailed or texted to let Dylan know what’s going on, and Dylan sent him all his contact information before he left yesterday morning. It’s not as if the guy doesn’t know how to get ahold of him.

If this goes on much longer, Dylan is going to lose all his enthusiasm. He’s already lost interest in looking at the carts of people checking in, and even the few adventurous souls who are already in costume are barely making him smile. Dylan is definitely giving dontbelieve31 a piece of his mind when—if—he actually arrives.

He’s mentally trimming down his planned Dealers Room purchases and reviewing his bank balance just in case the guy does bail on him when a frazzled-looking guy stops in front of him. He’s dragging a giant suitcase with one hand and has a guitar case in the other, and he’s weighed down by both a laptop bag and a backpack slung over his shoulders. His clothes are rumpled, and he looks like he’s going to fall over at any minute, pulled down by the weight of the luggage he’s carrying. Dylan’s eyebrow twitches as he looks the guy up and down, but he doesn’t say anything, just keeps scanning the crowd, hoping that dontbelieve31 will show up.

“Binkysrider?” the guy asks in a voice so faint Dylan can hardly hear him. That’s his screen name, though, so he nods and directs his attention back to the guy.

“Dylan, actually, but yeah,” he manages to get out before his brain goes off-line. The guy may be rumpled and travel-worn, but he’s gorgeous, a few inches over six feet tall with spiked dark-brown hair, warm hazel eyes, and freckles. Dylan loves freckles, and if he weren’t pissed at the guy for showing up almost an hour late, he’d be delighted. Okay, he’s still delighted, but he’s pissed, and he’s going to hold onto that, because he’s sure with the way his luck is going that the guy will be a raging homophobe, or have a long-term girlfriend, or something that will make Dylan’s chances with him less than zero.

“Brendan. Uh, dontbelieve31. Sorry I’m late.” His words are still soft, but now Dylan can tell that it’s mostly because he’s trying to catch his breath. “My plane was delayed, the airport was packed, and by the time I got my bags I had missed the shuttle so I took MARTA, and God, please don’t make me tell you about how that went.” He shudders under the weight of his luggage and hitches his backpack higher on his shoulder.

“You could have called or something.” Dylan holds out his phone pointedly, deliberately ignoring the lilt in dontbelieve’s—Brendan’s—voice that’s going straight to his groin. He’s pissed off, and he’s going to stay that way. “I’ve been standing here for almost an hour. I was about to give up and go get in the registration line anyway. I thought you were bailing on me or something.”

“Sorry.” Brendan winces. “I swear I printed out the e-mail you sent and tucked it in my laptop bag, but I couldn’t find it once I was off the plane, and I didn’t think to try to pull it up on my phone until I was on the train, only it didn’t keep a strong enough signal to get internet.” He hitches his backpack again as it starts to slide down his arm and curses. “Sorry. It just really hasn’t been my day.”

“Yeah, well, I haven’t exactly had a blast either,” Dylan retorts, though he knows what Brendan went through is worse than just sitting around and waiting. Still, he’s tired, frustrated, and now he’s going to have to go stand in line for a couple hours with a bunch of strangers as everyone else he even knows who’s coming isn’t planning on arriving until later tonight and will have to pick up their badges in the morning. Dylan had shuddered when Kelly told him that, but if it makes the girls happy, well, he’s not the one who will risk missing Friday morning panels. He had hoped that he would click with his roommate and at least have someone to talk to during the long wait, but it doesn’t look like that’s happening.

Oh well, it’s not as if he can’t amuse himself. He’s done it before.

He turns on his heels before Brendan can reply and stalks back toward the elevators. “Come on. Our room’s on eleven.”

“Can you—” Brendan starts to say, but Dylan disappears into the crowd before he can finish. The elevators are obvious, and at nearly six and a half feet tall, Dylan is tall enough that he stands out amongst the slowly building crowd. By tomorrow, it might actually be a problem, particularly if people break out the tall costumes, but right now Brendan should have no trouble following, and Dylan isn’t going to get roped into helping with his luggage. Not after that introduction.

BRENDAN huffs as binkysrider—Dylan, he reminds himself; it’s weird to keep calling his roommate by his online handle, no matter how tempting it might be—disappears into the crowd, making a beeline to the elevators at a speed Brendan can’t hope to match, especially not with his luggage falling off his shoulders.

Apparently, Dylan is above helping Brendan get it situated so it doesn’t fall to the ground on the way to their room, which was all he was going to ask for. It doesn’t matter now, though. Dylan’s gone, out of sight and earshot, and Brendan is just going to have to make do if he wants to have a chance of getting on the same elevator as the guy.

It turns out to be a good thing that Dylan told him which floor they were on, because by the time Brendan reaches the elevator bay, Dylan is nowhere in sight. And to think, he seemed like such a friendly guy in the few e-mails and LiveJournal comments they’d exchanged.

When the doors to the elevator Brendan finally manages to catch open on eleven, Dylan is leaning against the far wall of the elevator bay, his arms crossed over his chest and his expressive face set into a deep scowl. “Took you long enough.” He pushes away from the wall and starts down the hall, only sparing Brendan a cursory glance to be sure he’s following. “We’re this way.”

“I don’t control the elevators, you know,” Brendan calls after him as he yanks his suitcase out of the elevator, barely making it through the doors before they close on it. “And it’s hard to move quickly in a crowd with luggage.” His laptop bag falls from his shoulder as he tries to maneuver around the corner, and he growls low in his throat as he stops. “Can you hold on a second? I’m dropping stuff here!”

The sound Dylan makes can only be described as irritated, and the glare he sends Brendan’s way could strip paint from the walls. “I would like to get my badge today, you know.”

“So would I! But if it’s so damn important to you to go right this minute, give me my key, tell me what room it is, and go!” Brendan snaps, tugging on the strap of his bag until it’s back on his shoulder and digging in it for the money he owes Dylan for the room. “I’ll get myself there! I’m sure I can find the room without you leading me like I’m a packhorse.”

“Fine.” Dylan whirls around and snatches the money Brendan is holding out. He counts it, pulls a card out of his jeans pocket, and slaps it against Brendan’s chest. “Room 1128. It’s down that way.” He jabs a finger toward the far end of the hall and disappears back into the elevator bay.

Brendan barely catches the card before it falls to the ground. “Terrific.” At least he has time to rearrange his bags before trekking down the hallway.

The room is more posh than the one Brendan was going to have shared with Nate—they’d been in one of the overflow hotels, not the Marriott—and for all his other obvious faults, Dylan appears to be neat. His suitcases are lined up against one wall, tucked out of the way, and though he’s claimed drawers and a bed, the ones reserved for Brendan are left untouched, as is half the closet space. It seems that when Dylan isn’t pissed about things no one can control, he’s a reasonable guy.

If he’ll let that side of himself show this weekend, they might both survive the con.

The bed is soft, and Brendan’s bags sink into the down comforter when he piles them on top of it. He’s really, really tempted to shove them to the floor and curl up for a nap, but he needs to get his badge too. There’s a Voltaire concert tonight that he’d like to attend, and he’s been considering getting up to go to the Shatner and Nimoy panel first thing tomorrow morning. If he’s going to do either, he’s going to have to brave check-in while it’s open today.

As he’s walking down to the Sheraton, Brendan gets a text from his friend Kevin Scott asking where he is and if he wants to meet up for dinner. He sends back a fervent, GOD YES, followed by, Heading to check in, and continues his journey with a little more spring in his step. Kevin and his wife, Laura, are great listeners and a lot of fun. They’ll be the perfect antidote to Dylan, and texting them might keep Brendan sane through the check-in line.

message 4: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice | 70 comments Yay! Hello, Nessa, and congratulations on your latest release! :)

message 5: by Nessa (new)

Nessa Warin (nessalwarin) | 50 comments Beatrice wrote: "Yay! Hello, Nessa, and congratulations on your latest release! :)"

Thanks so much Beatrice! I'm really excited.

message 6: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice | 70 comments I heard that you're a fan of Gaiman and Pratchett! I read Good Omens two months ago but I didn't recognize the reference in the title. LOL. Goes to show just how much I pay attention to stuff.

message 7: by Beena (new)

Beena (kultiras) | 10 comments Hi Nessa, I'm so excited that Sauntering Vaguely Downward is finally available!

message 8: by Nessa (new)

Nessa Warin (nessalwarin) | 50 comments Beatrice wrote: "I heard that you're a fan of Gaiman and Pratchett! I read Good Omens two months ago but I didn't recognize the reference in the title. LOL. Goes to show just how much I pay attention to stuff."

I'm a huge fan of Gaiman and Pratchett. The reference is in the character list, which is something that a lot of people don't read, so I can see you you might have missed it. I'm just a huge geek like that.

How did you like Good Omens?

message 9: by Nessa (new)

Nessa Warin (nessalwarin) | 50 comments Beena wrote: "Hi Nessa, I'm so excited that Sauntering Vaguely Downward is finally available!"

Thanks! Me too! I hope people like it.

message 10: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice | 70 comments Nessa wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "I heard that you're a fan of Gaiman and Pratchett! I read Good Omens two months ago but I didn't recognize the reference in the title. LOL. Goes to show just how much I pay attenti..."

I had to grab my copy of the book to double-check. *grins*

I really enjoyed it! I read the bulk of it in a public library so I had to stop myself from snorting too many times. I probably sounded like a disgruntled pig. LOL. But I just adored Aziraphale and Crowley (and I maybe ship them together) and my favorite scene was when Adam and his cohorts were riding their bikes into the base.

message 11: by Nessa (new)

Nessa Warin (nessalwarin) | 50 comments Beatrice wrote: I really enjoyed it! I read the bulk of it in a public library so I had to stop myself from snorting too many times. I probably sounded like a disgruntled pig. LOL. But I just adored Aziraphale and Crowley (and I maybe ship them together) and my favorite scene was when Adam and his cohorts were riding their bikes into the base.

LOL. I can see that. Fortunately, the first time I read it, I was at home, so no one looked at me weird.

I think my favorite part was at the end, when the Horsemen were in the power plant, and they were trying to figure out how button pushing would end the world. :D But then, I have a special fondness for anthropomorphic personifications.

message 12: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice | 70 comments Nessa wrote: "Beatrice wrote: I really enjoyed it! I read the bulk of it in a public library so I had to stop myself from snorting too many times. I probably sounded like a disgruntled pig. LOL. But I just adore..."

I love anthropomorphic personifications too! I used to have a love for the manga called Hetalia because of it. (Which reminds me, I need to get back into the fandom.) Your book is also about Dragon*Con, right? I haven't been to a con yet in the U.S. (just moved here last year but I've been to lots back in my home country) and I haven't read the book yet - so could you please tell us what it's like? :)

message 13: by Nessa (new)

Nessa Warin (nessalwarin) | 50 comments Beatrice wrote: I love anthropomorphic personifications too! I used to have a love for the manga called Hetalia because of it. (Which reminds me, I need to get back into the fandom.) Your book is also about Dragon*Con, right? I haven't been to a con yet in the U.S. (just moved here last year but I've been to lots back in my home country) and I haven't read the book yet - so could you please tell us what it's like? :)

Well, honestly, it's a lot like its described in the book. Different cons all have different feels, obviously, but Dragon*Con is one giant gathering of geeks. There are so many different fandoms there, you can always find someone interested in something you're interested in. The costumes are epic, and it's just a huge amount of fun. Be prepared for crowds if you go, though, because it's packed. You spend a lot of time waiting in line, but that's almost like a party too.

message 14: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice | 70 comments Nessa wrote: "Beatrice wrote: I love anthropomorphic personifications too! I used to have a love for the manga called Hetalia because of it. (Which reminds me, I need to get back into the fandom.) Your book is a..."

Big crowds, lines, different fandoms - sounds like the cons I've been to, then! I'm pretty much a geek myself so this sounds really appealing. I'd love to be registered for the giveaways; your new book looks great with the Dragon*Con setting.

message 15: by Nessa (new)

Nessa Warin (nessalwarin) | 50 comments Beatrice wrote: "Nessa wrote: "Beatrice wrote: I love anthropomorphic personifications too! I used to have a love for the manga called Hetalia because of it. (Which reminds me, I need to get back into the fandom.) ..."

It is a blast.

And I've got you on the list. I have to say, your chances are looking pretty good at the moment, but there are still four hours of chat left. ;)

message 16: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Noble This excerpt is delightful, I thoroughly enjoyed it. What a great plot idea. I've never been to one of those big cons, but I want to go one day, they look like so much fun.

World Con is in Chicago next year, I think that's the one, so might be doable for me. There used to be a big Star Trek one here in Cleveland, but it never worked out that I could go.

This looks like a great book and I'd love to be entered in your contests.

Elizabeth

message 17: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice | 70 comments Nessa wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Nessa wrote: "Beatrice wrote: I love anthropomorphic personifications too! I used to have a love for the manga called Hetalia because of it. (Which reminds me, I need to get back i..."

Ahaha! I'm tempted to be selfish and be all "mwahaha" but it's kinda lonely without other people in here. I love big chats. :)

*goes banging on other people's doors* C'mon guys, wake up and join us!

message 18: by Nessa (new)

Nessa Warin (nessalwarin) | 50 comments Elizabeth wrote: "This excerpt is delightful, I thoroughly enjoyed it. What a great plot idea. I've never been to one of those big cons, but I want to go one day, they look like so much fun.

World Con is in Chicago..."

Thanks, Elizabeth! I've got you on the list.

It was actually a challenge from a friend, but I had so much fun writing it. I was at Dragon*Con the year that I set it in (2009) so a lot of the things mentioned really happened.

I've never been to any of the other big cons, but Dragon*Con is super fun. It's in Atlanta, so drivable from Cleveland. (Ohio, I assume since you're talking about Chicago.)

message 19: by Nessa (new)

Nessa Warin (nessalwarin) | 50 comments Beatrice wrote: Ahaha! I'm tempted to be selfish and be all "mwahaha" but it's kinda lonely without other people in here. I love big chats. :)

*goes banging on other people's doors* C'mon guys, wake up and join us!

LOL! I'd like a big chat too. Though a quiet one means I can write at the same time... Hmm.

I'm hoping more people will drop by later.

message 20: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice | 70 comments Nessa wrote: "Beatrice wrote: Ahaha! I'm tempted to be selfish and be all "mwahaha" but it's kinda lonely without other people in here. I love big chats. :)

*goes banging on other people's doors* C'mon guys, wa..."

A quiet one would mean I can actually do some work that I've been putting off and some chores, too. I guess they both have their own merits!

message 21: by Nessa (last edited Nov 05, 2011 11:30AM) (new)

Nessa Warin (nessalwarin) | 50 comments Okay, time for another teaser. This time, the blurb from my upcoming Christmas Novella. It's part of Dreamspinner's Advent Calender and will be available on December 1. It's called The Stars Are Brightly Shining.

Corbin wants to make a good impression on his lover’s family, so when Neil docks The Wanderer at the space station Noel Prime on the Christmas tree planet of Navidia, they set out together to find the perfect tree. On their quest, they relive the enchantment of their first times, and on their journey to Neil's childhood home, they realize that magic is sometimes in the surprises and that if their love is true, The Wanderer is always home.

message 22: by Beena (new)

Beena (kultiras) | 10 comments I've never been to Dragon*Con, but I'm a regular San Diego Comic-Con attendee, and I just love that this story is set at a con.

I'd also like to be entered in your giveaways. =)

message 23: by Nessa (new)

Nessa Warin (nessalwarin) | 50 comments Beena wrote: "I've never been to Dragon*Con, but I'm a regular San Diego Comic-Con attendee, and I just love that this story is set at a con.

I'd also like to be entered in your giveaways. =)"

Got you on the list!

I've never been to SDCC, though apparently there's a big blood drive rivalry between it and Dragon*Con. (Though, hey, anything that gets thousands to donate blood is a good thing.)

message 24: by Beena (new)

Beena (kultiras) | 10 comments I already pre-ordered Dreamspinner's Advent Calender. I didn't realize you had written one of the stories!

And it's set in space!?!?!? Merry Christmas indeed! It sounds like it will be a wonderful story to read.

message 25: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Noble Nessa wrote: "Okay, time for another teaser. This time, the blurb from my upcoming Christmas Novella. It's part of Dreamspinner's Advent Calender and will be available on December 1.

Corbin wants to make a good..."

Hehehee this is cute and yes, Cleveland, Ohio. I always find out about these things way too late.

message 26: by Beena (new)

Beena (kultiras) | 10 comments You know, I hadn't heard about the blood drive rivalry! I do agree with you though: more blood donating is always a good thing.

message 27: by Beatrice (last edited Nov 05, 2011 11:26AM) (new)

Beatrice | 70 comments Nessa wrote: "Okay, time for another teaser. This time, the blurb from my upcoming Christmas Novella. It's part of Dreamspinner's Advent Calender and will be available on December 1.

Corbin wants to make a good..."

Sounds like a really cute and sweet read! I can't afford to buy the whole bundle but I'm checking this out once they're available individually. :)

Also, Goodreads, y u no send me notifications?

message 28: by Nessa (new)

Nessa Warin (nessalwarin) | 50 comments Beena wrote: "I already pre-ordered Dreamspinner's Advent Calender. I didn't realize you had written one of the stories!

And it's set in space!?!?!? Merry Christmas indeed! It sounds like it will be a wonderful..."

Yep! It's called The Stars Are Brightly Shining (I guess I should have mentioned that), and it's a space story. I had so much fun writing it.

message 29: by Nessa (new)

Nessa Warin (nessalwarin) | 50 comments Beena wrote: "You know, I hadn't heard about the blood drive rivalry! I do agree with you though: more blood donating is always a good thing."

Yeah, Dragon*Con set a record one year for most donations at a convention, SDCC beat it the next year, and it's gone back and forth. I have to say, though, Dragon*Con is awesome at it--they keep up with 1/3 the attendees!

message 30: by Nessa (new)

Nessa Warin (nessalwarin) | 50 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Nessa wrote: "Okay, time for another teaser. This time, the blurb from my upcoming Christmas Novella. It's part of Dreamspinner's Advent Calender and will be available on December 1.

Corbin wants ..."

Well, Dragon*Con is yearly in Atlanta. Every Labor Day weekend. I drive most years from Cincinnati, so it's doable. :D

message 31: by Beena (new)

Beena (kultiras) | 10 comments Nessa wrote: "Yeah, Dragon*Con set a record one year for most donations at a convention, SDCC beat it the next year, and it's gone back and forth. I have to say, though, Dragon*Con is awesome at it--they keep up with 1/3 the attendees!"

That is impressive!

message 32: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice | 70 comments Lucky for you guys to be able to go to cons! As far as I know, New England doesn't have a lot. Except for Comic Con, I think. A couple of my friends went this year and never bothered to tell me about it. I'm still bitter. LOL.

message 33: by Nessa (new)

Nessa Warin (nessalwarin) | 50 comments Beatrice wrote: "Lucky for you guys to be able to go to cons! As far as I know, New England doesn't have a lot. Except for Comic Con, I think. A couple of my friends went this year and never bothered to tell me abo..."

Awww. I'm sure you'll get to one eventually! The first time I went to Dragon*Con, we planned it for months ahead of time. Just figure out which one you want to go to and plan. It's definitely worth it.

message 34: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice | 70 comments Nessa wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Lucky for you guys to be able to go to cons! As far as I know, New England doesn't have a lot. Except for Comic Con, I think. A couple of my friends went this year and never bother..."

I shall do that! I missed an Avengers panel this year; I don't want to make that mistake again.

message 35: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Noble Beatrice wrote: "Lucky for you guys to be able to go to cons! As far as I know, New England doesn't have a lot. Except for Comic Con, I think. A couple of my friends went this year and never bothered to tell me abo..."

I'd be bitter too. In fact I think I have to be bitter on your behalf for that!

message 36: by Nessa (new)

Nessa Warin (nessalwarin) | 50 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Lucky for you guys to be able to go to cons! As far as I know, New England doesn't have a lot. Except for Comic Con, I think. A couple of my friends went this year and never bother..."

No kidding! I'd be bitter if my local friends went to a con and didn't invite me too!

message 37: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice | 70 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Lucky for you guys to be able to go to cons! As far as I know, New England doesn't have a lot. Except for Comic Con, I think. A couple of my friends went this year and never bother..."

What makes me the most bitter is the fact that Chris Evans and Tom Hiddleston were there to talk about the Avengers movie. I'm a big Avengers fan and so I hated that I missed that. :(

message 38: by Beena (new)

Beena (kultiras) | 10 comments Beatrice wrote: "I shall do that! I missed an Avengers panel this year; I don't want to make that mistake again."

Oh ouch. I know that pain. My friend and I missed the panel at SDCC where they brought the whole cast on stage. We're still a bit bitter about that one…

message 39: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice | 70 comments Beena wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "I shall do that! I missed an Avengers panel this year; I don't want to make that mistake again."

Oh ouch. I know that pain. My friend and I missed the panel at SDCC where they bro..."

Oh man! Missing Robert Downey, Jr. would've made me bitter for at least a decade!

message 40: by Eden (new)

Eden Winters (edenwinters) | 67 comments Wow! Dragon*Con in Atlanta. That's a few hours' drive for me. Congrats on the new release. You really pulled me into the setting. What's the inspiration for this story? Anyone famous you see as the characters?

message 41: by Nessa (new)

Nessa Warin (nessalwarin) | 50 comments Okay, how about another snippet? This one from The Stars Are Brightly Shining.

Corbin hurried through the spaceport Noel Prime, his head ducked and his eyes firmly fixed on the pathway ahead of him. Usually at this time of year, he would meander through, taking as much time as he could to enjoy the spectacular Christmas decorations hanging in every door and window and attached to every wall, but not right now. Today, he was running late. A last minute customer had kept him at work longer than he’d anticipated, and that, combined with Neal arriving earlier than scheduled, meant that if Corbin didn’t hurry, he wouldn’t get to watch The Wanderer dock.

“Sorry,” he murmured, skirting by a group of people gawking up at the sky. They were tourists, here to buy one of the Christmas trees Navidia was famous for, and Corbin wondered what planet they were from. Noel Prime, even with all of its Christmas decorations, wasn’t much different from most of the other spaceports in the human inhabited planets, known as the Gaian Alliance. The real magic of Navidia was in the trees.

As soon as he was clear of the crowd, Corbin picked up his pace, hurrying along the back passageways that few people were aware of, and emerging on the platform he’d been seeking. He arrived just in time to see a large, sleek ship slow in her approach. It was a familiar sight, though one he’d been missing for the past five weeks, and he couldn’t help the grin that blossomed on his face as he stepped up to the railing that marked the edge of the safe area. Even from here, Corbin could feel the searing heat from the ship’s thrusters, but he didn’t let that stop him from curling his fingers around the top rail and leaning forward, his gaze fixed anxiously on the hatch.

It felt like an eternity before the thrusters died, leaving the ship sitting silent on the large metal platform near the upper level of Noel Prime, and even longer for the familiar click of the hatch opening to reach Corbin’s ears. The moment it hissed upward, revealing the inside of The Wanderer and the tall, dark-haired man standing there, Corbin vaulted the rail and dashed across the empty platform that separated him from the ship.

Neal met him halfway. “The gate too far for you?” he asked, his tone teasing, and his brown eyes twinkling as he let them rake over Corbin’s body. Corbin looked good, his short blond hair disheveled from his run through Noel Prime, and his dressy work shirt open just enough at the neck to reveal the dip of his collarbone. It was a welcome sight after nearly five weeks apart, and Neal licked his lips appreciatively as he took it in.

“Tonight it was,” Corbin said, closing the last few feet between them with swift steps. He didn’t hesitate before slipping his arms around Neal’s neck and pulling him down into a brief kiss that was full of promise. “I missed you.”

“Yeah,” Neal agreed, wrapping his arms around Corbin’s waist and pulling him closer. “I missed you too.”

The moment felt more intimate than it was. In the shadow of The Wanderer, it was easy to forget the thousands of people walking and waiting nearby, but a clang on the next landing pad over reminded both Corbin and Neal that they weren’t alone.

Corbin reluctantly slid his hands over Neal’s shoulders and rested them against his chest. Neal didn’t loosen his grip, so Corbin leaned back, trusting that Neal wouldn’t let him fall. “We should head back.”

Neal flicked his gaze toward the source of the noise and nodded. “We should. We can pick this up at home,” he added, his lips curling up into a grin.

“Right.” Corbin couldn’t resist leaning up and kissing Neal one more time before he stepped back out of Neal’s arms. “Do you need anything?”

“Just my bag. I dropped off everything else.” Neal stepped back and grabbed his duffle from where he’d left it just inside The Wanderer’s hatch. “I am officially all yours for the next two standard weeks,” he added as he held his hand out to his partner.

Corbin grinned as he took it, and a thrill ran through him when he thought about what they could do with the time. It was unusually long—they normally had a few days, at most—and though they planned to celebrate Christmas with both their families, there was going to be plenty of time when it was just the two of them, and they were both looking forward to it.

message 42: by Nessa (new)

Nessa Warin (nessalwarin) | 50 comments Eden wrote: "Wow! Dragon*Con in Atlanta. That's a few hours' drive for me. Congrats on the new release. You really pulled me into the setting. What's the inspiration for this story? Anyone famous you see as the..."

Yep! I love Dragon*Con. I go (almost) every year and I really have a blast. Have you ever been?

As for the characters, it was actually originally written as a Jensen Ackles/Jared Padalecki fanfic, so I'd have to say them. Dylan was Jared and Brendan was Jensen.

message 43: by Beena (new)

Beena (kultiras) | 10 comments Nessa wrote: "Okay, how about another snippet? This one from The Stars Are Brightly Shining.

Corbin hurried through the spaceport Noel Prime, his head ducked and his eyes firmly fixed on the pathway ahead of ..."

I love this so much. This world you've created sounds amazing, and Navidia sounds gorgeous.

message 44: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice | 70 comments Nessa wrote: "Okay, how about another snippet? This one from The Stars Are Brightly Shining.

Corbin hurried through the spaceport Noel Prime, his head ducked and his eyes firmly fixed on the pathway ahead of ..."

I agree with Beena. The world-building sounds fabulous, and Neal and Corbin are cute together! :)

message 45: by Nessa (new)

Nessa Warin (nessalwarin) | 50 comments Beena wrote: "Nessa wrote: "Okay, how about another snippet? This one from The Stars Are Brightly Shining.

Corbin hurried through the spaceport Noel Prime, his head ducked and his eyes firmly fixed on the pathw..."

Thanks! It was a blast to write. I had a dream about this planet that was a giant Christmas tree farm and it just went from there. I'm not sure I'd want to live there--I'm more of an indoors girl, personally--but it would be awesome to visit.

message 46: by Nessa (new)

Nessa Warin (nessalwarin) | 50 comments Beatrice wrote: "Nessa wrote: "Okay, how about another snippet? This one from The Stars Are Brightly Shining.

Corbin hurried through the spaceport Noel Prime, his head ducked and his eyes firmly fixed on the pat..."

Thank you! They are a ridiculously sweet couple. But fun. :D

message 47: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice | 70 comments Nessa wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Nessa wrote: "Okay, how about another snippet? This one from The Stars Are Brightly Shining.

Corbin hurried through the spaceport Noel Prime, his head ducked and his eyes firmly..."

Sweet can be good! Especially since this is a holiday story. Wouldn't want readers to be sobbing during Christmas. ;)

message 48: by Nessa (new)

Nessa Warin (nessalwarin) | 50 comments Beatrice wrote: "Nessa wrote: "Beatrice wrote: "Nessa wrote: "Okay, how about another snippet? This one from The Stars Are Brightly Shining.

Corbin hurried through the spaceport Noel Prime, his head ducked and h..."

Very true. I promise there will be no sobbing in this story. It's very schmoopy. :D

message 49: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice | 70 comments Going to the grocery store! Hopefully I'll be back before the chat ends. :)

message 50: by Nessa (new)

Nessa Warin (nessalwarin) | 50 comments Beatrice wrote: "Going to the grocery store! Hopefully I'll be back before the chat ends. :)"

Oh. Braving the grocery store on Saturday afternoon. Wow. Good luck!

« previous 1