YA Apocalyptic and Dystopian Fiction discussion

Birthmarked (Birthmarked, #1)
This topic is about Birthmarked
Archived > Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien: November 2011

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bethany So, Birthmarked it is!

I have to say that I looked this book up on my nook even before the poll was done. When I saw it was only $2.99, I figured, what the heck, I'll just get it and maybe it will be voted our monthly read. And I am so glad. Not only that I bought it, but that it was chosen for out monthly read. BECAUSE IT'S AWESOME!!! Seriously, I haven't been able to put it down. It's so good.

As always, I must warn that: this thread will contain *SPOILERS* so don't read it if ya don't wannna know ;)

Let's discuss!!

Julie I just went and bought it for $2.99 for Kindle also....I hope it's a good one!

Bethany It is! And the sequel comes out in like 3 days!!

Mackenzie  | 3 comments Bethany wrote: "It is! And the sequel comes out in like 3 days!!"

I know! i'm so excited!!! I absolutely LOVED the first one!! except I read Birthmarked a while ago and probably need to reread it before I read the next one lol

Devon (booksandbeyond28) i loved birthmarked and when i saw that this was nov. monthly book read, i though "why did i have to read this book back in may...". i was gonna pick it up again but i already have to many TBR books for this month. Hope everyone else enjoys it like i did.

Michelle Stalker (mstalker402) | 7 comments Wonderful book! Birthmarked got me excited about dystopian books. I read this awhile back and just recently received my copy of the sequel! I have started to read it and love it so far!

Mackenzie  | 3 comments Michelle wrote: "Wonderful book! Birthmarked got me excited about dystopian books. I read this awhile back and just recently received my copy of the sequel! I have started to read it and love it so far!"

Same here! I absolutely loved it! but sadly, I have yet to get the sequel. B&N is sold out of it over here, and I don't really want to order it yet b/c i'm hoping they'll get it in the next few days. but I look forward to it! i've heard good things about the sequel!

Julie First of all I knew Gaia's face was burned on purpose from the very beginning! I kept thinking Gaia was really naive to believe that it was an accident. I know it would have to be extremely hard to give up your children but I don't think I'd be capable of hurting my child on purpose, and knowing the life of ridicule you are setting them up for. I thought it was a pretty good book, confusing at times, but then again most books have their confusing points where things don't always add up like you think they should. I definitely want to know what happened to Leon. Oh, just read the synopsis for Prized and I have to say I'm not all that excited. It seems like the author has a few ideas for different Dystopian societies and decided to throw them all in one series, I guess I'll have to see how it turns out. I guess it makes sense that not every place would be the same especially if they don't even know eachother exist but sounds like it could get confusing too.

Bethany Julie wrote: "First of all I knew Gaia's face was burned on purpose from the very beginning! I kept thinking Gaia was really naive to believe that it was an accident. I know it would have to be extremely hard to..."

That pretty much sums up my opinions as well. I was so amped to get the second book and then I read the synopsis and was like...daaaaahhhhh, maybe later.

Angie (angiebayne) I enjoyed this book. I thought there were some inconsistencies and wanted a little more info on the world before (like how did computers and security cameras survive?), but overall I thought it was good. I like the character of Gaia and the struggles she went through. I will probably read the next book even if the synopsis is a bit wonky.

Carey | 106 comments I think I'm feeling the same as you guys. I really like the book..didn't quite understand how they still had computers, etc. But reading the synopsis for the next book confuses me now. She must not be stuck in that different society for too long right? Curious to see what she's come up with and can't wait to read Leon's story.

Gracie (amazinggracie5683) It was ok. To fast paced at the beginning, and a little bit predictable. But still, a good book.

message 13: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami E. Bowen (skayda) | 19 comments I read this book about a month or so ago. I really enjoyed it. Can't wait for the sequel. It's on my "Highly Antisipated Sequels" wish list. Lol.

Nitza | 9 comments Julie wrote: "First of all I knew Gaia's face was burned on purpose from the very beginning! I kept thinking Gaia was really naive to believe that it was an accident. I know it would have to be extremely hard to..."

Almost finished the book and decided to read what some of you have said about it thus far. Right now I'm going to respond to Julie's statement.

I'm with Julie, I had a feeling that Gaia's scar was not accidental. That it was some act of defiance in order to keep her. I probably would have difficulty as well harming my child in order to keep them, but honestly when it comes to parenthood you can be amazed at what parents will do for their children.

In response to Julie's feeling that the author had different ideas of a dystopian societies and decided to put them together into one series, can't the same thing be said of Hunger Games when you look at District 13 compared to the other districts and the Capitol?

Nitza | 9 comments Just saw this and wondered if everyone was aware of this. I'm more excited about this than Prized, lol.

http://books.google.com/ebooks?id=HeM...

Carey | 106 comments Yeah, that is going to be awesome to read. :)

message 17: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen (baynej) | 169 comments I had no idea what to expect from this book, but I found the premise interesting and the story and characters intriguing enough that I was pulled in from the beginning.

The moral/ethical dilemma's that Gaia faces in this book kept me thinking throughout. She's a well-written character with a lot of strength and depth. This one left me with questions, so I can't wait to read the sequel.

Bethany Nitza wrote: "Just saw this and wondered if everyone was aware of this. I'm more excited about this than Prized, lol.

http://books.google.com/ebooks?id=HeM..."

That's rad! I can't wait to read it :)

message 19: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen (baynej) | 169 comments The sequel was really good!

Mackenzie  | 3 comments Jen wrote: "The sequel was really good!"

I just finished it and ended up loving it!

Michelle Stalker (mstalker402) | 7 comments Prized was incredible! I absolutely loved it!

Bethany Yay! I'm so glad. The synopsis left a lot to be desired. I'm happy to hear that it wasn't disappointing :)

Michelle Stalker (mstalker402) | 7 comments I'm not sure how long I can wait for the next one! I am so excited, this book series is the first one I have ever been like this with!

Nitza | 9 comments Michelle wrote: "I'm not sure how long I can wait for the next one! I am so excited, this book series is the first one I have ever been like this with!"

You don't have to wait long. Tortured is scheduled to come out on google ebooks tomorrow. But it seems like its just a short promotional thing telling us what happened to Leon. Better than nothing and it gives us information that everyone is probably dying to know.

Michelle Stalker (mstalker402) | 7 comments Nitza wrote: "Michelle wrote: "I'm not sure how long I can wait for the next one! I am so excited, this book series is the first one I have ever been like this with!"

You don't have to wait long. Tortured is sc..."

That one will be here soon, yes! But I am talking about the 3rd one, that will be a long wait!

Danielle (meimei42) This was another book where the dystopian society was so frustrating, but in that good kind of way. You just wanted to scream about the injustice, but it's only a book and what can you do about it?

I loved that we had a character who wasn't physically flawless. Something like that builds character and it was a good fit for the story.

Overall, very adventurous. At times some of the action (like rescuing her mom or the jail break) seemed a little hard to believe. I felt like the author got herself into a pickle having her main characters locked up and needed to find a way to break them out--only she'd created such a strong, militant society that the breakout seemed hard to believe a little bit. Not to the point where I couldn't enjoy the story. I think that was my only dislike about the story.

And I loved the second book even more--I will just say that.