Lord of the Rings Fans discussion

General chatting

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

Ada (caladhieledhel-mellon) | 861 comments Mod
This new topic is for talking that doesn't fit into other topics... For example, discussing future roleplays.

message 2: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

I would say yes, because I know your superior skill at roleplaying... Sooner or later mods n' I will get together and work some rules out for characters and posting and so forth.

message 3: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (last edited Nov 05, 2011 10:40AM) (new)

I believe you, certainly. The rules would be mostly for the sake of those who might appear from nowhere with the start of a new story line... Such things seem to draw n00bs as flowers draw bees. No offense to noobs, of course. :)

message 4: by Cece (new)

Cece Can I please be in Rp 3?

message 5: by K. M. R., or Quirenas, the Cloudy One (With Lightning) (new)

K. M. R. (moisoha) | 728 comments Mod
Hoorah! RP3 already? Well, I guess that makes sense. This is gonna be sweet!

message 6: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

Well, not yet, of course, since we haven't quite finished RP 1... but hopefully it'll be coming soon, yah?

message 7: by Cece (new)

Cece Me too

message 8: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (last edited Nov 07, 2011 06:41PM) (new)

May I submit this suggestion for rp 3 character format?

Read before you make your character. All characters must conform to the following requirements, or the mods will suggest changes. If those changes are not responded to (either by justifying the original version or making the changes) the characters will not be accepted. Use proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Also, research before you create your character! Here's a quote from Mod Kayla on the subject: "I did some of the craziest things with my character that would seem almost like it wouldn't fit, but I did enough research to back up what I was doing. One thing that you should always try is to look for things that Tolkien didn't go into much detail about. Something that you know something of still - you can't just go off of nothing - but something that maybe wasn't as explored as the rest of it. For example, in my case, Morgoth's private life. Did he have a son? Yep, he did, is what I said, but I could say that because Tolkien never told us much about Morgoth in his fortresses."

I suggest submitting your character to the following “Mary Sue” test: http://www.ponylandpress.com/ms-test.... You may want to consider taking the suggestions offered upon submission, depending on your score.

Name: (Must be suitable to Middle Earth; cannot RP as an existing character of Middle Earth or a made-up close relative to one of the existing characters. For example, you cannot be Legolas’s daughter or Aragorn’s sister.)

Age: (Approximations are permissible. According to Tolkien, Elves reach maturity at around age 50.)

Species: (Only species naturally occurring in Middle Earth; only a limited number of half-Elves may be made, because they are canonically VERY RARE- only three such pairings are recorded)

Appearance/Equipment: (A good 3 sentences, touching on build, height, hair color, eye color, favorite colors to wear or outfit, etc. Your character cannot bear one of the weapons of the Trilogy- for example, you cannot have Sting.)

Skills: (3+ sentences. Your character MUST have limitations of some sort; even a character who’s trained in most of the weapons and combat styles ever invented will not be equally good at all of them. If I or another mod feel you’re being unreasonable or godmoddish, we will speak to you about it.)

Personality: (4+ COHERENT sentences. Do not make your character self-contradictory. Explain apparent contradictions. A character cannot be both withdrawn and outgoing, but he may be withdrawn among fellow males and outgoing among females, for example. You may include “likes” and “dislikes.” Please try to distinguish your character in some way from the others. We cannot have every single character “shy until you get to know her, but really friendly and loyal.”)

History: (At least 5 sentences; more is preferable. Be plausible and canonical if possible. I give some leeway on this one if you justify yourself thoroughly. For example, in a previous roleplay we had a character who was the son of Morgoth. Kayla, his creator, carefully researched the possibility of such a thing and worked it into one of the grey areas of Tolkien's writing. She was able to make it plausible and handled the character well, so it was okay. If your character does something most members of his/her species does not (for example, a female dwarf with a penchant for adventuring) you must explain why. However, your character cannot contradict anything Tolkien specifically states. He or she CANNOT be the tenth member of the Fellowship of the Ring, for example.)

All decisions by mods are final. Decisions are subject to the whimsy of the mods.

message 9: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

I know it's ridiculously thorough, and most responsible roleplayers would be conforming to this anyway. If it was just us active members, we probably wouldn't have to worry. But learning from the past... Without regulations, you get characters like this one from rp 2.

Name: Gnarlug Oakgu

Race: Goblin-man

Appearance: Ugly, short, gnarled, twisted. Only has one eye. Sallow. He stinks really bad.

Personality: Fierce. Likes killing things and torturing Elves and hurgting all the free citizens of Middle Earth.

Skills: Really good with a club. Can bash down a butterfly on the wing. Great with axe and spear and bows and arrows too. He's so good because he used to serve as one of Sauron's lioutenants befvore the War.

Brief Bio:The product of a deranged mind and two equally deranged goblins, he had a miserable childhood, just like ebery other globlin out there. He began serving under Sauron early on, and his utter ferocity and hatred allowed him to quickly rise through theranks. His great enemy is Aragorn, who killed most of hiscompany during the final battle in mordor. hE really wants to kill him. Now he wanders through Middle Earth toting the Nazgul blade he found at the foot of Mount Doom, looking for somewahy to get revenge. He's the one that injuured peter, btw.

message 10: by K. M. R., or Quirenas, the Cloudy One (With Lightning) (new)

Here's a thing for all of you would-be roleplayers out there: you need to do some research. If you look at roleplay one (seeing as I tend to be very guilty of this) I did some of the craziest things with my character that would seem almost like it wouldn't fit, but I did enough research to back up what I was doing. One thing that you should always try is to look for things that Tolkien didn't go into much detail about. Something that you know something of still - you can't just go off of nothing - but something that maybe wasn't as explored as the rest of it. For example, in my case, Morgoth's private life. Did he have a son? Yep, he did, is what I said, but I could say that because Tolkien never told us much about Morgoth in his fortresses. Make sense?

There Helen, I feel all smart now cuz I can add to your awesomeness. I think it looks great - perfect, and it will probably work well!

message 11: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

Thank you Kayla! That's a good point- I'll add some of it to the sheet. :)

message 12: by Cece (new)

Cece Ok. That sounds like I need to do reasearch on Elves from Lorien.

message 13: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

Brilliant! Research... Love it. :)

message 14: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

Aye, aye... does Brelo have a meaning? It's a splendiferous name.

message 15: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

:D!

message 16: by K. M. R., or Quirenas, the Cloudy One (With Lightning) (new)

She is really an elf in disguise and she's over 6000 years old. That's why she sounds so old. :D

message 17: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

... Well, guess you caught me. **shifty eyes**

message 18: by Lindsay, aka...Dera the chatterbox (new)

Lindsay (a_rachelle) | 776 comments Mod
Psh. No one is really surprised about Helen. lol We have all known that from Day one.

message 19: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

And Kayla is a noble lady of Rohan, perhaps?

And Lindsay... is a female version Samwise Gamgee. No doubts there. ^^

message 20: by Cece (new)

Cece I dont kniw who I would be. Maybe Éowyn....

message 21: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

I would be an obscure, scholarly elf of Rivendell... the sort of scholarly elf that occasionally goes on grand adventures and lives to tell about them.

message 22: by K. M. R., or Quirenas, the Cloudy One (With Lightning) (new)

I don't know about noble... But I can see me riding a horse. :D

message 23: by Lindsay, aka...Dera the chatterbox (new)

*grumble*Thanks...and maybe...but I'd rather be an elf than a hobbit. *sniffles* Short enough as it is

message 24: by Lindsay, aka...Dera the chatterbox (new)

I do love that hobbit though...**huggles Sam** So cute even with 'im droppin' no eaves.

message 25: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

Don't worry, I won't turn you into anything... unnatural!

message 26: by K. M. R., or Quirenas, the Cloudy One (With Lightning) (new)

Fun fun fun!! ... I need to start on a character. I've been slacking.

message 27: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

Oh how exciting!

message 28: by K. M. R., or Quirenas, the Cloudy One (With Lightning) (new)

dats so cool!

message 29: by Cece (new)

Cece I am changing my character to a female wizard named... Cohava or Elenielin elvish.

message 30: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

No can do, I'm afraid. Tolkien gives us an exact number of wizards and their names. According to the Unfinished Tales, they are Maiar sent by the Valar to help defeat Sauron. There's Saruman the White, Radagast the Brown, Gandalf the Grey, and Alatar and Pallando (both of whom are blue). Alatar and Pallando disappear into the east, never to return... And of course we know all about the other three. I don't think there's any good way around it. Your original idea was good.

message 31: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

Thera *Artist-for-hire* wrote: "Yavielasse is Autumn leaf, by the way."

Eep, that's lovely!

message 32: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (last edited Nov 09, 2011 05:01AM) (new)

Lindsay wrote: "I do love that hobbit though...**huggles Sam** So cute even with 'im droppin' no eaves."

I was talking more about your personality traits: Loyalty, kindness, perseverance, a loving heart, etc. :) (And you're about the same size as I am...)

message 33: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

5'3" on good days, 5'2.5" on bad days.

As for the name- just about anything, if you get creative. It could correlate to hair color or eye color... reflect on her fragility... indicate that she's hung on to Middle Earth more tenaciously than other Elves (those who've already gone west)... I bet you'll come up with something good.

message 34: by Cece (new)

Cece Helen wrote: "No can do, I'm afraid. Tolkien gives us an exact number of wizards and their names. According to the Unfinished Tales, they are Maiar sent by the Valar to help defeat Sauron. There's Saruman the Wh..."

Ok. I will be an elf called Eleniel.

message 35: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

:D What does that mean?

message 36: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

Yes, I would love to! I've still got the character page locked, but you can post her here...

message 37: by Cece (new)

Cece AWESOME THERA!!!!! Mine will probBly be terrible, I am used to making small characters.

message 38: by Cece (new)

Cece Helen wrote: ":D What does that mean?"

It means star

message 39: by K. M. R., or Quirenas, the Cloudy One (With Lightning) (new)

AWESEOM!!!

And Helen, you are short. I'm five ten. How tall are YOU Lindsay?

message 40: by Cece (new)

Cece I am around 5'7"

message 41: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

Kayla, you are TALL! **Looks upward in awe...** And so is Cece... **Lowers gaze slightly** And so is Thera... **Lowers gaze a bit more**...

message 42: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

By the way, Thera, I'm loving your new profile pic. Lyte, right?

message 43: by Cece (new)

Cece I am done growing and I am 13

message 44: by Lindsay, aka...Dera the chatterbox (new)

At least you can look down at me Helen ;P
*grumbles and sighs* I'm 5'2" when I want to be...but really 5' 1.5-1.75"
*crawls under rock*

message 45: by Hannah (last edited Nov 10, 2011 01:09AM) (new)

Hannah (danceswithelves) Lindsay, stop being ashamed of your height!! >_< My near three years' work is undone...

So apparently we are posting characters here to see if they follow canon; well, I am putting mine up for debate.

Name: Rusvcoia Cúnim (goes by "Rusca" among familiars, or "Cúnim" in professional matters)

Species: Elf of Noldor and Teleri descent

Appearance/Equipment: Dark chestnut brown hair about midback, most often braided for convenience, bright emerald green eyes, and pale skin found common amongst the Eldar. Typically wears green and/or brown attire akin to that of the Rangers of the North. She carries two swords and a bow, and a dagger is always on her person.

Skills: She is trained by her brother (who, in turn, was trained in the Eryn Galen militia) and by the Rangers. Her primary talent is archery, and her secondary is melee. She excels in tracking and stealth, and a passive trait is her love of knowledge.

Personality: Rusca is not one known to be sociable in the general public. In large gatherings (e.g. the Pony), she, like her leader Strider, is often found sitting in a remote corner, reading or staring. Among her friends, she remains vaguely aloof and emotionally distant. While her stoicness may come off as apathy, her devotedness and deep pride in her world is easily seen by her fierce protectiveness of the innocent and helpless. Her manner is brusque, sarcastic, and often offensive; her strange knowledge of others and her surroundings has unnerved many a person and once or twice invoked a physical tiff.

History: She was raised as the daughter of Eryn Galen's general Beinion, close to the king and leader of several regiments. Her elder brother Revion was extremely close to her, and she to him. Up until his murder, the two had been training in secret to protect her from the violent wrath and cunning manipulation of their father. When Revion was slain, Rusca was condemned as the killer for reasons unbeknowest to her. She was forced to flee Mirkwood and seek safety in the vast Wild. There, she met the Rangers who would accept her as one of their own and train her in the ways of the forest.

How's that sound??

message 46: by K. M. R., or Quirenas, the Cloudy One (With Lightning) (new)

I'm curious, in RP3 is it going to be after or before the War of the Ring?

Also: Great Character Hannah. I don't see anything that wouldn't fit in with that Tolkien's given us, so your good there. I'm curious to see her in action.

message 47: by Cece (new)

Cece Good question Kayla. I was wondering that myself. I still haven't developed my character yet.

message 48: by Hannah (last edited Nov 10, 2011 11:12AM) (new)

Hannah (danceswithelves) Thera *Artist-for-hire* wrote: "However, no offense, but her skill set and equipment looks a little like mine. :3"

To be fair, Rusca has been a part of my life for over three years now. I've been developing her character since I was 16, and her weaponry has altered only in the sense that she used to wield knives and now she prefers swords. :D

It kinda bummed me when I took the Mary Sue Litmus Test and I got a 33 - Borderline Sue. :(

message 49: by Cece (new)

Cece What is the link for this test?

message 50: by K. M. R., or Quirenas, the Cloudy One (With Lightning) (new)

I got a 30... We're all Borderline sues! *gasp*

« previous 1