Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (Buddy Reads) > [Buddy Read] Pope Joan

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy H (new)

Nancy H | 944 comments Brett and I are reading Pope Joan as a Buddy Read. Please feel free to join us.

message 2: by Nancy H (new)

Nancy H | 944 comments (Spoiler for anyone who hasn't started it yet.)

Brett, What do you think of the book so far? I have read 50 pages and I really like it. It is disgusting, though, the way women (and girls) were treated back then. I have just gotten to the part where Joan is going to be tutored, and I am happy for that.

message 3: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn | 0 comments Read this one years ago. Love it!

message 4: by Brett (new)

Brett | 478 comments I am 50 pages in now, too. I'm a little behind on reading it. I'm liking it though. I thought it was sad when her older brother died. Her other brother annoys me, same goes for her mother.

message 5: by Nancy H (last edited Nov 07, 2011 05:23PM) (new)

Nancy H | 944 comments I agree. I hate that her mother thinks she should not try to read or learn anything except what she considers "womanly" stuff!

message 6: by AlbertaJenn (new)

AlbertaJenn | 0 comments Nancy wrote: "I agree. I hate that her mother thinks she should not try to read or learn anything except what she considers "womanly" stuff!"

That was the norm back then. Her mother was just saying what everyone at the time thought. So mother is a victim of her era, and not just a nasty character.

message 7: by Nancy H (new)

Nancy H | 944 comments AlbertaJenn wrote: "Nancy wrote: "I agree. I hate that her mother thinks she should not try to read or learn anything except what she considers "womanly" stuff!"

That was the norm back then. Her mother was just say..."

That is so true, but I wonder when women started thinking that there was 'more' to life than just doing the 'womanly' stuff. Obviously, some women probably felt limited by their roles and felt rebellious, but it was far easier to do what was expected of them and 'get along.' Woman's rights --- medieval style --- were quite limited, I think. In this book, though, Joan thinks there should be more. I am eager to finish this story to see what happens - I am only into it by about 120 pages so far.

message 8: by Nancy H (new)

Nancy H | 944 comments I just got to the Viking raid in the book and now I can't stop reading!

message 9: by Brett (new)

Brett | 478 comments I read a ton of it today at work. Slow day, haha! She is in Rome now in pages I'm reading. I hope she meets back up with Gerold.

message 10: by Brett (new)

Brett | 478 comments I'm almost done with the book. How are are you? I'll probably finish it this weekend

message 11: by Nancy H (last edited Nov 11, 2011 07:51PM) (new)

Nancy H | 944 comments I am somewhere around page 300 and am hoping to finish it tomorrow. I want to just keep reading, but life interferes! It is really good, and I am really enjoying it because I really like historical fiction.

message 12: by Brett (new)

Brett | 478 comments Same here!

message 13: by Nancy H (last edited Nov 12, 2011 02:32PM) (new)

Nancy H | 944 comments I could NOT stop reading this book and stayed up until 4:30 this morning finishing it! I really, really liked the book. I didn't "like" the ending, but the ending fit the story and was appropriate historically also. I really liked that the author did so much research and put so much of it into this story. This will be one of my all-time favorites in the 'medieval historical fiction' genre.

message 14: by Brett (new)

Brett | 478 comments I haven't finished it yet, but I thought it was heartbreaking when she was declared pope. She finally tells Gerold that she will be his wife and then they tell her she is pope. At the same time though we wouldn't have a book if she didn't become pope.

message 15: by Nancy H (new)

Nancy H | 944 comments Just wait and keep reading - it gets 'better' in some ways, although worse in others!

message 16: by Brett (new)

Brett | 478 comments I just finished it. I liked the epilogue with Arnalda, but I didn't really care for the ending either. Then again it fits the story.

message 17: by Nancy H (new)

Nancy H | 944 comments I know - I also liked the part with Arnalda - I thought that was very fitting. I kept hoping that there would be a way Joan could be Pope for a while and then still have a life with Gerold. I was actually surprised at the exact circumstances of their deaths. It wasn't what I was expecting, but then I don't know what I was expecting, either.

Thanks for doing this as a Buddy Read with me - I really enjoy reading and talking about the book while I am reading it.

message 18: by Brett (new)

Brett | 478 comments Thanks for doing the buddy read with me, too!