Cozy Mysteries discussion

Buttercream Bump Off (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #2)
This topic is about Buttercream Bump Off
Buddy Reads > Buttercream Bump Off by Jenn McKinlay (Nov 4th -?)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Michelle (last edited Nov 04, 2011 05:53PM) (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore A few had so much fun reading Sprinkle with Murder by Jenn McKinlay that we've decided to move right into Buttercream Bump Off, book 2 in the Cupcake Bakery Mystery series. Feel free to join in at anytime :)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments Mine just came in the mail today!

message 3: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new) - added it

Marisa (moretta) | 3823 comments Mod
Well, it's OK for me... And my culinary mystery for november challenge, so count me in ;) !

bella (thespiceflows) I started before everyone, I think, and so I'm almost at the end. <3!

Does anyone have a favorite cupcake from the books? I love the Kiss Me Cupcakes!!

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments I love the Blonde Bombshells and have made them twice!

message 6: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore I had to work today, and haven't started yet. I'm certain that when I do, I'll devour this one!

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments I'll start mine tonight. I just finished Nora Robert's new novel The Next Always. I liked it a lot and look forward to the next two in the trilogy.

Suzanne I haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but I sure want to! The Death by Chocolate in the last one - wow - they look to be aptly named - 2 bags of chocolate chips in 12 cupcakes. I think I need to try that at least once =).

message 9: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore Suzanne wrote: "I haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but I sure want to! The Death by Chocolate in the last one - wow - they look to be aptly named - 2 bags of chocolate chips in 12 cupcakes. I think I need t..."

I just made the blonde bombshell cupcakes today. I just had one and I'm really happy with how they came out. Now, ask me if I've started the book yet- no :( But I will in a few minutes!

bella (thespiceflows) Oh boy you girls are making my mouth water by the sounds of those two. I'm definitely going to try some this weekend.

On a side note has anyone else read any cozies similar to these? I was thinking of trying the donut ones by Jessica Beck soon.

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments There seem to be so many cozies out there dealing with food lately. I wonder what message the authors are trying to convey to us? Eat while we read???? And then we'll have cozies dealing with working out at the gym and finding a dead body in the steam room! Enough, I know! Back to cupcakes and another great book.

message 12: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore yabookgirl wrote: "Oh boy you girls are making my mouth water by the sounds of those two. I'm definitely going to try some this weekend.

On a side note has anyone else read any cozies similar to these? I was thinki..."

I'm still new to cozies, but I'll check that series out.

message 13: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore Tricia wrote: "There seem to be so many cozies out there dealing with food lately. I wonder what message the authors are trying to convey to us? Eat while we read???? And then we'll have cozies dealing with wo..."

I thought there was a cozy out like that already, LOL!!

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments yabookgirl wrote: "Oh boy you girls are making my mouth water by the sounds of those two. I'm definitely going to try some this weekend.

On a side note has anyone else read any cozies similar to these? I was thinki..."

I've read all the Jessica Beck "donut shop" books. The first 2 were quite so-so, IMHO, but they've definitely improved as they've gone along.

message 15: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore I'm finally starting Buttercream Bump Off!

message 16: by Tricia (last edited Nov 09, 2011 06:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments I finished Buttercream Bump Off and enjoyed it even more, i think than Sprinkle with Murder. I loved Marty, the new character that was introduced. Now I'm onto Death by the Dozen. What a great author!

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments ✿Michelle✿ wrote: "A few had so much fun reading Sprinkle with Murder by Jenn McKinlay that we've decided to move right into Buttercream Bump Off, book 2 in the Cupcake Bakery Mystery series. Feel fre..."

Michelle, this is a dumb question, but so far nothing I've tried works. How do you underline titles and get the titles linked to the book site showing ratings?

message 18: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore Tricia wrote: "✿Michelle✿ wrote: "A few had so much fun reading Sprinkle with Murder by Jenn McKinlay that we've decided to move right into Buttercream Bump Off, book 2 in the Cupcake Bakery Myster..."

No question on dumb! Do you see the add book/ author link right about the comment box? Click on that link, and just do a search for whatever book you're looking for. At the bottom, you can choose either the link, or the bookcover. You'll see an option to add whichever you choose. I hope that helps!

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments OOOH! Thanks. Can't wait to try it out! I've tried using the html codes, but they don't seem to do what I want.

bella (thespiceflows) Tricia wrote: "I finished Buttercream Bump Off and enjoyed it even more, i think than Sprinkle with Murder. I loved Marty, the new character that was introduced. Now I'm onto Death by the Dozen. What a great a..."

Yay! I'm glad you liked it Tricia. I love so many of the secondary characters, especially Angie's brothers.

message 21: by Beth (new)

Beth | 616 comments Tricia wrote: "There seem to be so many cozies out there dealing with food lately. I wonder what message the authors are trying to convey to us? Eat while we read???? And then we'll have cozies dealing with wo..."

LOL, Tricia! Maybe it's because we mystery authors are always taking snack breaks (especially for chocolate) while we're writing. :)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments I just finished Death by the Dozen and loved it too! The characters Jenn comes up with are priceless. Then I still wasn't tired at around midnight and started Beth Groundwater's A Real Basket Case. Another great one, Beth. I guess I read these in the wrong order, so kinda know what's going to happen, but still love Claire's predicament with her husband. Which person did you use to model her patience after???

message 23: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore I'm really enjoying the fact that Olivia is a reoccurring charachter/ cupcake nemesis. Does anyone is this a trilogy, or an ongoing series?

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments I think there is another one coming in a month or two!!!

message 25: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore I just saw that Red Velvet Revenge will be coming out, but it looks as if its not coming out until July 2012. :(

Is that the one you're thinking about Tricia, or is there another one?

bella (thespiceflows) Argh. That is too long to wait to find out what happens next!!!! I finished Death by the Dozen and really wished I had the next book!

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments yabookgirl wrote: "Argh. That is too long to wait to find out what happens next!!!! I finished Death by the Dozen and really wished I had the next book!"

Yes, that's the one. But I thought it was sooner than July. UGGG! I know there's another series that deals with "whole" cakes. But I can't remember the name right off. Anyone help?

bella (thespiceflows) This site has them sorted by theme http://cozy-mystery.com/Cozy-Mysterie.... Hope that helps. I'm not sure if I know another series off the top of my head.

The ones I'm starting next are the donut ones by Jessica Beck.

message 29: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore yabookgirl wrote: "Argh. That is too long to wait to find out what happens next!!!! I finished Death by the Dozen and really wished I had the next book!"

You've already finished Death by the Dozen?!!! Wow!!! You shame me, LOL!!! I'll have to really focus on my reading to catch up to you!

bella (thespiceflows) Oh I wouldn't feel too shamed Michelle. I've had a bad flu for almost ten days now so I'm getting a lot of reading done, lol! I think it's the only good thing about being sick.

I did like Death by the Dozen a lot! They are all so good!

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments If we want to get fat and sick with bakery goods, we could go with Jessica Beck and her Donut Shop Mysteries. Or Gayle Trent and her Daphne Martin Cake Mysteries. Another cute series that I've kept up with is Judi McCoy dog walker mysteries. There's a bunch of good ones from her!!! And we'd get some exercise too!!!

message 32: by Michelle (last edited Nov 14, 2011 07:22PM) (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore Tricia wrote: "If we want to get fat and sick with bakery goods, we could go with Jessica Beck and her Donut Shop Mysteries. Or Gayle Trent and her Daphne Martin Cake Mysteries. Another cute series that I've ke..."

No! can just see myself wanting to adopt a dog or something, and I aleady have 3 dogs, LOL!!

message 33: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore yabookgirl wrote: "Oh I wouldn't feel too shamed Michelle. I've had a bad flu for almost ten days now so I'm getting a lot of reading done, lol! I think it's the only good thing about being sick.

I did like Death b..."

I can't say that I envy you, but at least you got some reading done :)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments No! can just see myself wanting to adopt a dog or something, and I aleady have 3 dogs, LOL!!

OH, I just have three cats; never had a dog! Guess I could try one though! What kind do you have?

message 35: by Michelle (last edited Nov 14, 2011 07:26PM) (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore Tricia wrote: "No! can just see myself wanting to adopt a dog or something, and I aleady have 3 dogs, LOL!!

OH, I just have three cats; never had a dog! Guess I could try one though! What kind do you have?"

3 dachshunds, and I have one cat, (I have no idea what kind, she was a rescue kitty) that thinks she's my mother........ no more cats for me right now, LOL!

message 36: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore Oh my goodness, I just realized that I do have Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #1) by Linda O. Johnston . I'm in the process of moving, but should be settled in soon. Did anyone want to start that after we get through Death by Chocolate?

message 37: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore Or should we do a cat centered series for Tricia? LOL! I'm baking and eating too much with the food cozies.

bella (thespiceflows) I have two cats myself, but I do want a puppy!!! I really want a dachshund but my husband is trying to convince me on something bigger.

I have Sit, Stay, Slay in my tbr too!!

I've been reading the Magical Cats mysteries by Sofie Kelly too. Those are fun!

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments I also have some of Sofie Kelly's books which I need to get to. Which book is Death by Chocolate? Did I miss something? I know Diane Mott Davidson has Dying for Chcoclate, but I must have been asleep for Death by Chocolate. Sit, Stay, Slay is one I don't have, but anything with animals is good, as long as they don't die! Do look into McCoy's books. They're good too.

bella (thespiceflows) It looks Death by Chocolate is by GA McKevett. The first one in that series is Just Desserts.

Has anyone read the ones by Joanna Carl? I think the first one is The Chocolate Cat Caper.

I'm definitely going to check out the Judi McCoy ones. They look cute!

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments Great. Death by Chocolate is ordered and on its way. Any book with a cat on the cover is a must read for me!!! I don't know why Amazon failed me when I looked it up before. Weird. I'll take a look at the other ones in the series too. Thanks very much.

bella (thespiceflows) Tricia wrote: "Great. Death by Chocolate is ordered and on its way. Any book with a cat on the cover is a must read for me!!! I don't know why Amazon failed me when I looked it up before. Weird. I'll take a ..."

Tricia I think that too about cats on the covers! I will actually read a mystery with animals more than one without!!! Did you like Captain Jack in Death by the Dozen?

bella (thespiceflows) ✿Michelle✿ wrote: "Or should we do a cat centered series for Tricia? LOL! I'm baking and eating too much with the food cozies."

I'd love to start another series with you guys as soon as everyone has finished this one? This readalong was super fun!

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments yabookgirl wrote: "Tricia wrote: "Great. Death by Chocolate is ordered and on its way. Any book with a cat on the cover is a must read for me!!! I don't know why Amazon failed me when I looked it up before. Weird..."

Yes! Capt. Jack hopefully will show up again. He's a very lucky kitty! I, too, am ready for more with this funny/fun group. Maybe we should try something not so fattening, but then, reading about sweets is so much better than eating them!

message 45: by Nell (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nell | 1154 comments I finished this one last week and now have more recipes to try. I may bake cupcakes this holiday season instead of cookies. Less work is an added bonus.
I like the new character, Marty and hope he recurs. I also like the victim's son and love interest for Angie. Wonder where that will go. Love how she reacted to her overbearing brothers.
Some of the stuff was hard to swallow though like the murder on her mom's first date in umpteen years. Both that it happened and how it happened. The antics at the charity luncheon were over the top but also funny. Even though I guessed the murderer, there were several good suspects.

message 46: by Beth (new)

Beth | 616 comments Tricia wrote: "...started Beth Groundwater's A Real Basket Case. Another great one, Beth. I guess I read these in the wrong order, so kinda know what's going to happen, but still love Claire's predicament with her husband. Which person did you use to model her patience after???"

Hi Tricia,
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I'm catching up on Goodreads after my book tour today. I didn't model Claire after any one person in my life, but created her out of a mix of people, including a little of myself. She's a real person, in my mind, and acts just like herself. ;-)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments I'm glad you're busy and hope everyone is discovering your great books. I'll be starting Deadly Currents next - can't wait.

bella (thespiceflows) I haven't read your books, Beth but Tricia's recommendation is enough for me to try them :)

They sound great.

message 49: by Tricia (last edited Nov 21, 2011 06:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 199 comments yabookgirl wrote: "I haven't read your books, Beth but Tricia's recommendation is enough for me to try them :)

They sound great."

Beth's books are great, just read them in order; it helps!!!

And back to an earlier comment you made:

yabookgirl wrote: "✿Michelle✿ wrote: "Or should we do a cat centered series for Tricia? LOL! I'm baking and eating too much with the food cozies."

Do you notice how many bookcovers, especially cozies, have cats on them or in the titles? We could do a whole year of "cat" books!!! Just thinking!

bella (thespiceflows) I'm little picky with my reading ever since I discovered cozies. I always have to read in order now. I have several series that I have book 2 or 3 and I'm waiting to get book 1 before starting them!

Oh a year of cat cozies would be heaven! Even just one a month or something. The one I'm reading now has a cat called Miss Marple, such a cute name!!

« previous 1