The Novella Club discussion

Just for fun > Extend the End

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Extend the End from Litlovers.com

Jane Austen did it in Pride and Prejudice— she wrote an epilogue telling us how Elizabeth and Darcy fared after the story's last line.

Take any novel, or novels, you've read over the past year and write an epilogue. What happens to those characters, say 1 year, 5 years, 10 years out?

message 2: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
OMG this sounds like fun...but I'm going to have to think about it....

message 3: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
I'm still thinking about this...

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Me, too. Just haven't had time to write....

message 5: by Max (new)

Max | 26 comments Of Mice and Men- 1 year later

There’s an open lot some miles south of Phoenix that’s vast and empty and out of place. It’s a flat stretch of desert earth where all the weeds and cacti have been torn out to clear space for a private project—a hospital it’s rumored. The cleared foliage is the only work that’s been done thus far and the dry patch of land remains for the time as a dry patch of land. The lot is square and large and from the center, stretches out for 40 yards in each direction. The earth itself is chapped and hard and covered by loose powdery dirt the winds have picked up and delivered. Beneath the flaring Arizona sun the earth is brown and dull but in the fleeting lights of dusk it appears morose and indiscernibly black. There are brick fences to the north and west of this lot that stunts its growth and hide rows of homes and streets beyond it. The south side, as well as the east, is ended by a road that runs parallel down its edge. During the day these roads are garnished with the constant stream of flowing automobiles, sweeping noisily up the road with their motors’ coughs jostling the hollow silence of the field until their voices finally fade out into the oppressive desert. At night the Phoenix populous finds themselves doused in lazy sleep, and the field is quiet and kind with the glowing moon above making the picture seem almost divine.

George Milton shuffled into this field from the south road guided by the gleam of the moonlight and took up a seat on a large rock that rested near the center. He pulled off his hat and tossed it on the dirt by his feet. Of course the field was empty, as were the roads, just like they had been the last time he’d come, and all the times before. It was strange to think but he’d been coming to this field almost every night sleep had failed him since his arrival. It was a good place to perch and think when the restless mind demanded it, which happened often. “Often enough, ‘ways,” George thought to himself.

He rested his elbow on his knee with the arm extending straight up to cradle his head and closed his eyes to think. A quick breeze picked up and blew at the bottom sleeves of his pants but faded after a moment. The wind wasn’t uncomfortably cool, and neither was the night, for the calendar read June which is a transitionary period.

The flat land was still and George with his eyes closed and his head in his hand appeared to have been overcome by a fit of sleep. The truth was his mind was grinding over the scenarios of his life, both old and new. He still thought about Lennie, from time to time, with a deep rolling pain carving his stomach. That pain had faded over time and his mind now scarcely brought up the subject that caused it. But every once and awhile he would be reminded of the giant goof which started the subtle burning in his chest all over again. Time does well to mend old wounds, but some dig deeper than others.

Suddenly with the jerk of his head, George opened his eyes, fully resolute on an abstract idea. He cleared his throat hastily and looked up at the stars.
“I…er…I know that it’s been a while…and I…well,” he broke off and shook his head in anguish. “What am I doing, I ain’t no priest. No holy man.” And fell silent for a time.

After awhile he breathed in deep, shook his head again, and looked back up at the stars. “Ah hell, Lennie, I miss you, okay? Ya hear me? I said I miss you, more so than I like to say. It’s strange without you shufflin’ clumsy by my side. You ‘ways getting in trouble and me havin to take care of ya.” He paused for a moment not sure if he should say the next part but he decided to after all. “I ain’t mad at ya Lennie. I just hope…well I just hope you ain’t mad at me either. I’d like to tell ya ‘bout somethin. It’s a girl, Lennie, her name is Clara. I think you’d like her. I’m in love with her. She got these eyes…well never mind ‘bout that…but listen you goof, she’s got a little money, same as me, and if we put it together we can buy that house you and I was ‘ways talkin ‘bout. Isn’t that somethin?” He paused for a minute, then closed his eyes with his head still tilted up at the sky. “I can still see ya Lennie. I can still see ya.”

He sat in silence for many minutes after, listening to the ghostly whispers of the night. He was happier now, it would seem, since he and Clara had found each other and fallen in love. But he hadn’t forgotten Lennie, and wouldn’t forget him. For when Clara and he would buy the home, he decided, they would call it “Lennie’s Ranch.”

He picked his hat up off the ground, slapped the dirt off, and stood to his feet. He looked once more up at the stars, smiled lightly, and pulled his hat down over his head. Then, leaving the way he came, headed briskly for the south road, into the night.

message 6: by Max (new)

Max | 26 comments I tried to write it in Steinbeck's style

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Max F. wrote: "I tried to write it in Steinbeck's style"

Wow! This is amazing, Max. Thanks for taking the lead.

message 8: by Max (new)

Max | 26 comments Maria wrote: "Max F. wrote: "I tried to write it in Steinbeck's style"

Wow! This is amazing, Max. Thanks for taking the lead."

Thank you and thanks for the idea, it was a lot of fun.

message 9: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
Great job Max.

message 10: by Lois (new)

Lois (loisbennett) | 49 comments Oooh... the cogs are beginning to whir... :)

message 11: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
My cogs came to a grinding halt.

message 12: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
I thought: Oh, this will be fun; and then I came up with nothing.