Reader's Ink discussion

The Book Thief

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (last edited Nov 05, 2011 09:25AM) (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 640 comments Mod
I'm just over 1/3 through "The Book Thief." It's kinda long, But I'm enjoying the take they use in discussing wartime and the characters in it are quite fascinating.

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie | 168 comments I'm still having trouble getting my hands on a copy... luckily I have more leisure time than usual these days (until I hopefully start working in the next week or so) and hope to get through it quickly once I start.

message 3: by Carol (last edited Nov 16, 2011 09:03AM) (new)

Well ladies, I'm just kind of checking in to see how you all are doing in locating a copy of the book and how far you are in reading it. Hope its not as hard as Skippy was to find. Our library system here had quite a few copies, so was hoping it would be the same in yours as well. I wound up loading it on my Kindle (bought it well over a year ago), and that has been nice too.

I finished it last night, sniff sniff, and think it was really written in quite a masterful way. Now to start thinking about discussion points. Have a good day all.

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 384 comments Mod
I'm about 80 pages in and, alas, just found out I can't renew it and it's due back to the library on Saturday! ARGH! Thus,I'm hustling to get through it by Saturday.

In the meantime, at first I found narration too choppy and almost off-putting, but I finally got into the cadence of it and am VERY much enjoying the rhythm, tone, Death's point of view, and--of course--the story.

message 5: by Carol (last edited Nov 18, 2011 01:46PM) (new)

Ashley wrote: "I'm about 80 pages in and, alas, just found out I can't renew it and it's due back to the library on Saturday! ARGH! Thus,I'm hustling to get through it by Saturday.

In the meantime, at first I f..."

I'm glad you are enjoying it. Once, like you, when I kind of figured out what was happening and how it was being presented, I really dived into it, and it started making terrific sense, and really touched me on many layers.

Hey, I'm about 2/3 finished with "The Life of Pi" and boy, are you right. It is different than any book I've ever read. What's weird, is that I like it. There are some absolutely gross moments, but then it comes together I start enjoying the challenge again. Whew, and what an exhausting book. I'm pooped with these two books, need to get calm and comforting books for December.

message 6: by Carol (last edited Nov 21, 2011 09:22AM) (new)

My book club here is also reading "The Book Thief," and those that I've been in contact with are enjoying it (as one can "enjoy" this type of book)."

One of the ladies in our group is a retired school teacher, much like you Miss Cheryl, and she said that she taught a book called "Night" by Elie Wiesel who had first hand experience as a young Jewish person in the Concentration Camps. It is a terrifying account of the Nazi death camp horror that turns a young Jewish boy into a witness to the death of his family, and the death of his God. It's short (120 pages), but according to her, is one of the hardest of all War stories out there. I went to the library yesterday just to walk the aisles and saw it, so I checked out an audio version. Been thinking, too, of the movie "A Beautiful Life" that came out quite a long time ago, and how that affected me. I've read very little almost no war time books, so getting caught up...fast

Have a good weekend ladies!!! Happy reading...

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 384 comments Mod
Well. I finished The Book Thief last Saturday (as it was due back at the library and had holds!) and WOW. This one stuck with me for awhile after I finished it--perhaps partly due to the fact that I read the majority of it in a single week. Which is unusual for me. But, wow.

How are we all doing with The Book Thief?

message 8: by Carol (last edited Nov 24, 2011 06:53AM) (new)

I'm really pleased that several of you are reading and finishing this book. It is pretty intense, and I'm looking forward to visiting with you about it next week. Maybe we'll get a few more over the holiday. I'm just about finished with a book called "Night" that is a real life story about a 14 year old boy who is in a Concentration Camp, with his father and all that goes on. I'm about 3/4 through and it is only 120 pages long, but boy does he tell a heart rendering story.

HAVE THE HAPPIEST OF THANKSGIVING'S ALL. Eat lots of turkey, dressing, and all the fixin's.

We are so blessed to live in such a good time as we do. When I would read of the rations these people would eat, and we have platters of plenty all around us, kind of feel guilty that we have so much and they had so little.