Horror Aficionados discussion

Novels > Goodreads Choice Awards

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori | 1318 comments I apologize in advance if I stuck this in the wrong folder. It seemed the most appropriate.

So, there is this Goodreads Choice Awards thing going on and when I went to vote, I realized I've read NOTHING anywhere on that thing. Have you guys really read any of it? And what are they basing this off of? Like bestsellers or just things people like..?

I'm confused. Halp.

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) I've read a bunch of them or at least heard of them. I imagine its based on the sales as well as popularity on this site.

message 3: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments I've heard of a lot of those titles, but I think only own a couple and haven't read any. Seems to be a lot of popular bestsellers on there.

message 4: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I normally don't do popular bestsellers. I voted for Mr. Wonderful, and I saw Seed on the horror page.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1437 comments I also only found a couple titles that I had even heard of. King of Plagues by Jonathan Maberry was the only one I had actually read. It's excellent, if anyone's looking for something fun to read.

message 6: by Gatorman (last edited Nov 04, 2011 06:42PM) (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments I read Seed and voted it for best horror. They have The Devil All the Time listed in the horror section. I read it and it was very good but it is not horror at all. It's a literary thriller. Once again goes to show how many people don't get the horror genre. Kinda like putting Jethro Tull in the Heavy Metal category at the Grammys.

message 7: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Come on. "Devil" is in the title so it's got to be horror.

message 8: by Gatorman (last edited Nov 04, 2011 09:20PM) (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments Tressa wrote: "Come on. "Devil" is in the title so it's got to be horror."

Duh. Of course! What was I thinking?

message 9: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 487 comments Rachel wrote: "I also only found a couple titles that I had even heard of. King of Plagues by Jonathan Maberry was the only one I had actually read. It's excellent, if anyone's looking for something fun to read."

Anything and everything by Maberry is well worth reading. I just started Dead of Night: A Zombie Novel and it is as good or better than his previous novels.

message 10: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Gatorman wrote: "Duh. Of course! What was I thinking?"

You weren't but that's OK.

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1437 comments Brett wrote: "Rachel wrote: "I also only found a couple titles that I had even heard of. King of Plagues by Jonathan Maberry was the only one I had actually read. It's excellent, if anyone's looking for somethin..."
I agree! Also reading Dead of Night right now and it's great fun.

message 12: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 609 comments I got the email about this award thing, but deleted it promptly. I didn't read as much as I was hoping to have read this year, so I knew for sure I had not read anything on that list without even looking.

message 13: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 609 comments That Seed book is supposed to be great. It's pretty cheap on Kindle. I've been tempted to grab it, but if memory searves, it is another one that isn't exactly "horror." I might be wrong, though.

message 14: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Carl, Seed is about demon possession, so, yeah, it is horror. I really loved the story.

message 15: by Todd (new)

Todd Russell (toddrussell) | 118 comments At least they have a horror category. They could have called it paranormal instead. I've seen a number of horror authors calling themselves paranormal. Or . . . horror could have been lumped in with Sci-Fi/Fantasy.

message 16: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I agree, Todd. I was please and very surprised there was even a horror category.

message 17: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 609 comments I think this is the first year for a horror category. I think there was a bunch of complaints last year.

message 18: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) Hurrah for the horror category! But like Lori, of all the books listed, I have maybe three in my TBR, and I haven't read any of them!

message 19: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments Carl wrote: "That Seed book is supposed to be great. It's pretty cheap on Kindle. I've been tempted to grab it, but if memory searves, it is another one that isn't exactly "horror." I might be w..."

It is definitely horror and well worth the read.

message 20: by Tim (new)

Tim McGregor | 29 comments I'll second that notion. Seed is a great read! I voted for it.

I can't believe The Devil All the Time is in the Horror category, cuz baby, it ain't horror. It's a fantastic read but it's more lit fic. Small town folks crashing through life, very much in the vein of Cormac McCarthy. Highly recommended but if you're looking for horror, you might be a tad disappointed.

message 21: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments Tim wrote: "I'll second that notion. Seed is a great read! I voted for it.

I can't believe The Devil All the Time is in the Horror category, cuz baby, it ain't horror. It's a ..."

Agreed on Devil. I read it and it sure isn't horror. Like Tressa said, it has the word Devil in the title so someone assumed it must be horror.

message 22: by Char (new)

Char  | 13908 comments Mod
Rachel wrote: "I also only found a couple titles that I had even heard of. King of Plagues by Jonathan Maberry was the only one I had actually read. It's excellent, if anyone's looking for something fun to read."

Rachel, I just recently discovered Jonathan Maberry. I read the Pine Deep Trilogy and I loved it. Then I got "Material Witness" which was set in Pine Deep but features Joe Ledger. I cannot wait to familiarize myself with everything he has written.

message 23: by Armand (new)

Armand Rosamilia (armandrosamilia) Jonathan Maberry is one of the authors I always go out and buy because his work is always solid...

Armand Rosamilia
Undead Tales

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1437 comments Armand wrote: "Jonathan Maberry is one of the authors I always go out and buy because his work is always solid...

Armand Rosamilia
Undead Tales"

Have you read Dead of Night yet?

message 25: by Armand (new)

Armand Rosamilia (armandrosamilia) Haven't read it yet, have the sample of my Kindle so I don't forget about it... the price tags sometimes keep me from buying them right away, but I will eventually add it... have you read it?

Armand Rosamilia
Highway To Hell

message 26: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1437 comments I've read it and I really enjoyed it. Gave it 5 stars and wrote a review of it, which I only suggest people read after they've read the book because it spoils some stuff. But if you're a Maberry fan, I highly recommend it.