Chemical Disaster discussion

Books > Book Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nikki (new)

Nikki What book(s) do you recommend?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 11 comments The Glass Castle was amazing. The Secret Life of Bees was good...until they made it into a movie. If I think of any more good ones I'll let you know :)

message 3: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (jaidelily) | 19 comments Married with Zombies series was really fun.

message 4: by Nikki (new)

Nikki what's that about?

message 5: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (jaidelily) | 19 comments It's about a couple whose marriage is on the rocks when the zombie apocalypse hits, and they spend the next three books surviving it, working as zombie killers and eventually a cure. It's really good.

message 6: by Nikki (new)

Nikki I might have to look into that. I am finding a lot of books an amazon for kindle that I don't think you can get in real books. I have enjoyed the My Blood Approves series and the Trumpet Trilogy.

message 7: by Nikki (new)

Nikki that is supposed to say Trylle Trilogy. Stupid auto correct :)

message 8: by Kelly Sowa (new)

Kelly Sowa | 10 comments I read the Trylle trilogy too, I liked it. I thought that the author did a pretty good job of taming the melodrama that is unrequited teenage love. However, it seemed to me as though the last installment was very rushed. it had the feeling of "i'm tired of writing this so I'm going to get it done and over with quickly".

message 9: by Nikki (new)

Nikki I thought so too. The very very end was sudden. I was thinking "okay that's it?" They were kind od short so she could have streatched it a little. I was reading her (the author) bio on here and she is only 24. It will be interesting to see what and how she writes as she gets more books under her belt. Have you read Hallows by her? (I think that is the name of it) That one was $0 on Kindle last week so I downloaded it. I haven't started yet though because I have too many others that I wanted to read first.

message 10: by Kelly Sowa (new)

Kelly Sowa | 10 comments I haven't her Trylle books are the only ones I've read. I've kind of had a falling out with paranormal fiction, lol. I've been branching out more into dystopian stories like Unwind (which was excellent) and The Hunger Games Series. That is with the recent exception of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Lately I'm finding myself drawn to nonfiction. I recently started The Lives They Left Behind which is about the people who were sent to asylums in the 1900s and their personal stories.

message 11: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (jaidelily) | 19 comments Kelly, I've been into dystopic fiction too! If you haven't already, try Divergent by Veronica Roth and/or Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. I thought they were very good. I didn't care for Miss Peregrine's at all.

message 12: by Kelly Sowa (new)

Kelly Sowa | 10 comments Linds, what didn't you like about Peregrine's? I'm curious because a friend recommended it to me and raved about it and I wasn't overly impressed either. It kind of gave me pause, the whole girl falling for her ex's GRANDSON and kids being trapped in time forever, just weird and depressing.

message 13: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (jaidelily) | 19 comments Yeah, I just felt like the story was boring. The island was boring. The house was boring. The people were boring. The whole ex's grandson thing was just WEIRD, and I'm usually pretty open-minded about literary weirdness. When I finished the book, I thought two things:
Thank God that's over.
Crap, they left it open for a sequel. (not going to read it)