Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

Genres, Themes, and Topics > 1001 Books related to 9/11

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 141 comments I just picked up some 1001 books at a local library sale and realized that 3 of them were all related to 9/11 in some way. I thought it would be interesting to have a group specifically discussing "9/11 literature" on the list: identifying books, comparing, maybe all reading some next September. What do people think?

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 141 comments By the way, the three books I just added to my collection that fit this category are:
Saturday by Ian McEwan
The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid and
Falling Man by Don DeLillo.

message 3: by Bea (new)

Bea | 110 comments Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, soon to be a major motion picture. (Read the book first would be my advice).

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11....absolutely fascinating and a book that will make you ever so angry.

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 141 comments I didn't think either of these was on the 1001 list. I have read Extremely Loud... Liked it, and yeah, I tend to think it is better to read books before movies. Haven't read The Looming Tower

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (newtomato) | 196 comments You're right Beth - neither Extremely Loud nor Looming Tower are List books.

message 7: by Bea (new)

Bea | 110 comments So sorry ... I'd delete my post if it weren't too late.

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 141 comments Nah, it's good to know some other stuff that is out there...

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly (joselitohonestlyandbrilliantly) | 372 comments "Alamut" by Vladimir Bartol, written long before 9-11, is related to 9-11.

message 10: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 141 comments Ooh, will have to add that to my little themed collection!

message 11: by Mette (new)

Mette (morgen-haarhotmailcom) | 2 comments Thank you, Bea- for telling me it is better to read Extremely Loud.. before movie(Haven´t read the book, yet)