Heathens, Pagans and Witches discussion

Meeting the Other Crowd
This topic is about Meeting the Other Crowd
"Away with the Fairies" BBC Broadcast

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ancestral Gaidheal (gaidheal) This may be of interest to some:

Dominic Arkwright asks why fairies, once threatening and scary meddlers in human affairs, have become innocent, pink and fluffy.

He's joined by Irish storyteller Eddie Lenihan, fairy illustrator and writer Faye Durston, and folklorist Juliette Wood. We hear how Eddie successfully campaigned to save an ancient hawthorn near Shannon Airport which was threatened by a new bypass. It was, he argued, the portal to the other world of the fairies of Munster. The tree still stands, though surrounded by cars on three sides.

Listen here: www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b016wx2p

It is available on iPlayer (i.e. listen on demand) worldwide, but only for the next five (5) days.

message 2: by Wren (new)

Wren  (wrenreaders) Ancestral wrote: "This may be of interest to some:

Dominic Arkwright asks why fairies, once threatening and scary meddlers in human affairs, have become innocent, pink and fluffy.

He's joined by Irish storyteller ..."

Do you believe in the fey?

message 3: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 591 comments Julia wrote: "Do you believe in the fey?"

No...and I imagine they don't belive in me either...
;)

message 4: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments Assuming you're not one yourself of course Old-Barbarossa.

message 5: by Wren (new)

Wren  (wrenreaders) Ok...

message 6: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 591 comments Aaron wrote: "Assuming you're not one yourself of course Old-Barbarossa."

Nope...not one of the sidhe...too comfy round cold iron and hot whisky.

Little Miss Esoteric (littlemissesoteric) | 1116 comments Julia wrote: "Ancestral wrote: "This may be of interest to some:

He's joined by ..."

I'm reading a wonderful book on the Otherworld at the moment Julia: Daimonic Reality: A Field Guide to the Otherworld If you are interested in the Fey, I recommend it. There are no pink, fluffy fairies in sight. It's written by an Irish pagan. Double points there. And yes, I believe in them, and I'm also very interested in finding out more about our Australian Spirits of the land. Vision can be pretty limiting sometimes.

Little Miss Esoteric (littlemissesoteric) | 1116 comments "Farmer: I never knew I was a brain dead moron....": http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/...

"Ms Lankford suggested that it would have been clear to the defendant that the structures were there even before he bought the land and she asked him if he walked the land before spending more than €1.3m on this particular farm.

He said he did not walk it but he drove across it in a 4x4..."

Enough said.

message 9: by Nell (new) - added it

Nell Grey (nellgrey) | 1682 comments Ye gods...

Little Miss Esoteric (littlemissesoteric) | 1116 comments Nell wrote: "Ye gods..."

My sentiments exactly.

Little Miss Esoteric (littlemissesoteric) | 1116 comments I'm almost finished this book and have found it to be quite wonderful. Interestingly one of the retellings/stories has a djinn version (the human woman who serves a midwife, uses ash on one eye (kohl in the jinn version) and afterwards can see Otherworld beings through that anointed eye. She too is blinded in that eye after seeing the Good Folk in question in a market place.) The djinn version is here: Legends of the Fire Spirits: Jinn and Genies from Arabia to Zanzibar.