Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising discussion

Question

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Grossman (laurenbgrossman) | 40 comments Wondering how people feel about posting a short story on the document page on Facebook? Also, what's the consensus on selling short stories for 99 cents? And where are those avenues on the internet? Appreciate your opinions and suggestions.

message 2: by Reena (new)

Reena Jacobs (reenajacobs) | 66 comments I'm in a NaNoWriMo group now, and sometimes folks post clips from their stories. I personally don't see a problem with it. Folks can run their pages as they wish.

As for short stories, I have a couple of pieces between 3-5k each which I sell for $0.99. My sells aren't great. The best has been averaging 75-100 sales a month, but the numbers have been on the downside this month. It's not a fortune, but it's certainly more than if I'd sold it to a magazine for a one time profit of $10-50.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Grossman (laurenbgrossman) | 40 comments Thanks, Reena.
How do you market the short stories?

message 4: by Reena (last edited Nov 06, 2011 01:48PM) (new)

Reena Jacobs (reenajacobs) | 66 comments I actually didn't do much marketing for them. I know that's bad, but I didn't think the potential for profit would give me a return on investment. It takes A LOT of $0.99 sales at 35% royalty to justify advertising costs (at least in my opinion).

I will admit to lucking out when Amazon price matched a bunch of free self-published stories in May. The work that's doing the 75-100 sales a month was picked up, and I offered it for free for several months before slapping a price tag on it. During that time, my full length saw a slight boost in sales.

Now, I believe folks are finding my other short story (which is a sequel of sorts) after reading the more popular title. This month I'm experimenting with pricing the sequel at $2.99. Last month it only sold 20 copies. It'll be interesting to see if folks will pay $2.99 for a 4-5k story. I only need four sales to earn out the $7 twenty copies at $0.99 would make.

You can see if Amazon will price match one of your works to free. They don't always, but it certainly can help get a bit of notice for all of your works.

message 5: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Kirk Reena wrote: "I'm in a NaNoWriMo group now, and sometimes folks post clips from their stories. I personally don't see a problem with it. Folks can run their pages as they wish.

As for short stories, I have a co..."
I think that's respectable sales. Peter Bowerman of the Well-Fed Self Publisher lists 1400 books a year to consider yourself a publisher. One hundred is 1200.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Grossman (laurenbgrossman) | 40 comments Thanks, Reena. Food for thought.

message 7: by Frank (new)

Frank Chadwick | 2 comments Reena wrote: "This month I'm experimenting with pricing the sequel at $2.99. Last month it only sold 20 copies. It'll be interesting to see if folks will pay $2.99 for a 4-5k story. I only need four sales to earn out the $7 twenty copies at $0.99 would make."

While that's true, I'm not convinced it's a great idea. You may make as much money with fewer sales, but fewer sales on this story means you've reduced the potential market for your next story.

message 8: by Reena (new)

Reena Jacobs (reenajacobs) | 66 comments You make a great point, Frank. Unfortunately, 20 sales isn't much of a market. It's a little difficult to worry about alienating a fan base when it's nearly non-existent. :)

If I'm going to experiment, now's the time to do it.

message 9: by Frank (new)

Frank Chadwick | 2 comments Reena wrote: "You make a great point, Frank. Unfortunately, 20 sales isn't much of a market. It's a little difficult to worry about alienating a fan base when it's nearly non-existent. :)

If I'm going to experi..."

Fair enough.