Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Toni Anderson
This topic is about Toni Anderson
82 views
Ask An Author, Win A Book Corner > AC: Toni Anderson of Edge of Survival (November 19 - November 21)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11052 comments Toni Anderson, a Romantic Mystery and Suspense author; will be joining us for a Q&A and book giveaway on November 19- November 21, 2011.


Meet Toni:
Toni is a former marine biologist who conducted her Ph.D. at the Gatty Marine Laboratory in St. Andrews, Fife, Scotland. She was born and raised in the U.K., but now lives in the Canadian prairies with her husband and two children, living about as far from the ocean as possible. Her stories are set in the stunning locations where she’s been lucky enough to live and work—the blustery east coast of Scotland, the remote isolated mining communities of Northern Labrador, the rugged landscapes of the U.S. and the Red Center of Australia. She escapes the long brutal Canadian winters by writing Romantic Mystery and Suspense stories.

For hobbies she loves reading, traveling, photography, painting, drawing and walking—especially on the beach with a big hairy mutt splashing in the shallows










Website:http://tonianderson.shawwebspace.ca



Blog: http://tonianderson.blogspot.com/





Books: Sea of Suspicion by Toni Anderson , Storm Warning by Toni Anderson , Her Sanctuary by Toni Anderson , Edge of Survival by Toni Anderson


Giveaway: Toni will be giving away 1 copy of Edge of Survival.


message 2: by Toni (new)

Toni Anderson | 30 comments Hello Goodreads! It snowed last night so I'm huddled up with a house full of sick males (son and hubby) trying to figure out whether or not to shovel snow, walk the dog or take daughter to swimming :) And then I remembered I was here this weekend so I'm stalling and saying hello instead :)
I write Romantic Suspense stories. Although my first book was set in Montana, mostly my stories are set in different places around the world. I'll figure out how to open some threads but please jump in if you have any questions :)


message 3: by Toni (new)

Toni Anderson | 30 comments Not sure how to make thread so I'll just say something about Edge of Survival. It comes out on Monday as an ebook and audiobook.

Blurb:

EDGE OF SURVIVAL (November 2011 from Carina Press)
Foreword by Brenda Novak

Dr. Cameran Young knew her assignment wouldn't be easy. As lead biologist on the Environment Impact Assessment team, her findings would determine the future of a large mining project in the northern Canadian bush. She expected rough conditions and hostile miners—but she didn't expect to find a dead body her first day on the job.

Former SAS Sergeant Daniel Fox forged a career as a helicopter pilot, working as far from the rest of the human race as possible. The thrill of flying makes his civilian life bearable, and he lives by his mantra: don't get involved. But when he's charged with transporting the biologist to her research vessel, he can't help but get involved in the murder investigation—and with Cameran, who awakens emotions he's desperate to suppress.

In the harsh and rugged wilderness, Daniel and Cameran must battle their intense and growing attraction while keeping ahead of a killer who will stop at nothing to silence her…


I set the story around a fish migration study I'd carried out in the 90s, but apart from the heroine's job and location, everything else is fiction :)You'll see there's a foreword by Brenda Novak and there's a very good reason for that. I'll discuss it later :)


message 4: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11052 comments Welcome Toni, it's a pleasure to have you with us!

I hope you enjoy your time with our members; and good luck to you all!

GUIDELINES FOR AUTHOR AND PARTICIPANTS: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

Members, if you can please write the questions in bold; it would be easier for her to know that you have asked a questions and less chance that it will be missed. Thanks!


message 5: by AH (new)

AH | 75 comments Hi Toni. Where do you get your inspiration for your stories? Do you have any writing rituals?


message 6: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments Hi Toni, Thank you so much for doing this. I have never read your books, but I am looking forward to it. Romantic suspense is one of my favorite genres. I have a couple of questions.
What caused you to change careers? I'm always so interested in what drives a person to start writing when they've been doing something else.
Also, would you say your books are more suspense driven with some romance or romance with some suspense?
Thanks again for your time and have a Happy Thanksgiving.


message 7: by Toni (new)

Toni Anderson | 30 comments AH wrote: " Hi Toni. Where do you get your inspiration for your stories? Do you have any writing rituals? "

Thanks for your questions, AH :) Inspiration comes in different forms. I get inspired by different places I've lived, worked or visited, and I like to use a setting that works with a certain type of story. And then I get a lot of plot ideas from watching/reading news items or just wondering what would happen 'if'. I often get a flash of a scene in my head and it all starts to build from there.

Writing rituals? Not really. Well, I have a Highland Pottery mug I like to drink from when I'm writing. I create soundtracks for each story with music that I can write to, but that also that invokes the mood of the story or the characters. And I also tape up pictures of my characters (much to my kids' amusement). So small rituals, but basically I just write.


message 8: by Toni (new)

Toni Anderson | 30 comments Leslie wrote: "Hi Toni, Thank you so much for doing this. I have never read your books, but I am looking forward to it. Romantic suspense is one of my favorite genres. I have a couple of questions.
What caused y..."


I hope you like them, Leslie :) RS is my favorite genre to read too.
I changed careers for a variety of reasons (you really want to hear this?). I wrote a lot as a kid and then gave up for a few years (I blame my sister :) I started writing again when I was post-docing in Canada and was completely hooked. Then I got married and we moved back to Scotland and I was jobless (post-docs tend to be short term contracts) and then we started a family. My hubby's next post doc was based partly in Scotland, partly in Australia. It was hard to find a 'normal' job that worked for me in that situation. So I decided to seriously try and get published, and here I am (years later) :) Writing is like a drug. I get withdrawal symptoms if I can do it for a few days. I still love science though and try to use it as a background in most of my books.

would you say your books are more suspense driven with some romance or romance with some suspense?

Tough question. I actually believe they are pretty much split down the middle. The romance and suspense are linked and drive the story forward. My first book HER SANCTUARY perhaps is written a bit differently to most RS novels, but even then I'd say it's a fairly even split of romance and suspense. The romance is VERY important to me, as a reader too, but I like to think the plot keeps people on their toes. Gosh. I hope that answers your question :)


message 9: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11052 comments Welcome Toni!

Do you read a lot of Romantic Suspense? Do you have any authors who inspire you?


message 10: by Toni (new)

Toni Anderson | 30 comments Fran wrote: "Welcome Toni!

Do you read a lot of Romantic Suspense? Do you have any authors who inspire you?"


Thanks, Fran! Cough, yes, I've read a *LOT* of Romantic Suspense books :) My all time favorites are some of Tami Hoag's books before she switched more to more mainstream thrillers. I love Linda Howard, Suzanne Brockmann, Cindy Gerard, Sandra brown, Nora, Loreth Anne White, Julie Miller. The list is endless. I love RS.


message 11: by Desiree (new)

Desiree reilly (desitheblonde) | 37 comments authors do not like to use pet in there books will you be using hem in your book
and the when you get the idea are you going to
stay with it or do you try and do the back first and come t the front of the book
on the cover do you pick them and do have the same person do them or different one then the last one
do you start on the next book before you finish the book


message 12: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1381 comments Hi Toni! Do you know how your stories are going to end? Or do you let the characters guide you?


message 13: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments Toni wrote: "Leslie wrote: "Hi Toni, Thank you so much for doing this. I have never read your books, but I am looking forward to it. Romantic suspense is one of my favorite genres. I have a couple of questions..."

Thanks for your answers! I really did want to know! And I think most things in life can be blamed on siblings :}
Another question: What made you choose Romantic Suspense? Or did it choose you?
thanks again for your time.


message 14: by Toni (new)

Toni Anderson | 30 comments Desiree wrote: "authors do not like to use pet in there books will you be using hem in your book
and the when you get the idea are you going to
stay with it or do you try and do the back first and com..."


Thanks for popping by, Desiree. Lots of questions here.
I use animals a lot in my books. Not necessarily pets although Nick Archer in SEA OF SUSPICION has a dog called Rocket. HER SANCTUARY is set on a ranch in Montana, so there are horses, dogs, cats, cattle, also wolves and a bear. The heroine of STORM WARNING is a puffin biologist off the coast of Scotland :) and EDGE OF SURVIVAL features some unusual wildlife with their own stories.

Sometimes I stay with an idea and sometimes I don't. I spend a lot of time plotting so I tend to work through my story from the start to finish. Whether I get to finish it before I begin another depends on a lot of other factors. I try to finish the first draft in one go. Sometimes I get edits and have to pause for a while. It all depends.
As for book covers, all my Carina Press covers have been done by Crocodesigns. I love her work. Authors rarely get a say in the covers unless they self publish.


message 15: by Toni (new)

Toni Anderson | 30 comments Leslie wrote: "Toni wrote: "Leslie wrote: "Hi Toni, Thank you so much for doing this. I have never read your books, but I am looking forward to it. Romantic suspense is one of my favorite genres. I have a couple..."

You're welcome :) And, yes, siblings!
What made you choose Romantic Suspense? Or did it choose you?
I think it chose me. I guess I'm naturally drawn to the grittier side of life. I did write one straight contemporary romance and it almost drove me insane. No dead bodies :) I like puzzles. My favourite TV shows are those with murders to solve. I like the action which tends to heighten the emotions :) I can't imagine writing anything else, although my WIP morphed into a spy story too (rolling my eyes at myself) :)


message 16: by Toni (new)

Toni Anderson | 30 comments Samantha--Sorry, I almost missed your post :)

Do you know how your stories are going to end? Or do you let the characters guide you?

I'm a plotter so I generally know where the story is going to end. In fact the ending is one of the first things that normally comes to me. In RS it has to be big and it has to be intense. I'm very visual so I guess I see that sweeping climax as a thing to aim toward.


message 17: by Isabella (new)

Isabella Queirouz | 201 comments Hi Toni,
What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?



message 18: by Ann (new)

Ann Roberts (kyreadinggirl) I saw that you used to live in the UK and now live in Canada. I was wondering if you miss living right next to the sea or if living on the prairies is just as fun... I ask partly to just know, but since I've fairly recently moved from a suburban/urban area to a very rural area, I wonder if I'll ever get used to it!


message 19: by Iris (last edited Nov 19, 2011 06:07PM) (new)

Iris (ipro) | 277 comments Hi Toni. Your bio says you are a former marine biologist. Do you write full time now? Also, I'll have to admit to being curious. If you were saying this for later on, that's cool, but I have to ask... Is there a story behind the foreword by Brenda Novak?>


message 20: by Toni (new)

Toni Anderson | 30 comments Isabella wrote: "Hi Toni,
What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?"


I'm constantly surprised by my research, Probably the biggest thing was diabetes. My heroine in Edge of Survival has the condition and the more research I did the more horrified I became. That's why I'm donating some of the proceeds to diabetes research.


message 21: by Toni (new)

Toni Anderson | 30 comments Kyreadinggirl wrote: "I saw that you used to live in the UK and now live in Canada. I was wondering if you miss living right next to the sea or if living on the prairies is just as fun... I ask partly to just know, but ..."

I miss the sea. I always miss the sea :) But the prairies do have their own beauty. I think you get used to new places, and good friends really help :) And the internet. And a really good book :)


message 22: by Toni (new)

Toni Anderson | 30 comments Iris wrote: "Hi Toni. Your bio says you are a former marine biologist. Do you write full time now? Also, I'll have to admit to being curious. If you were saying this for later on, that's cool, but I have to ask..."

Iris, I do write full time right now. The story behind Brenda Novak writing the foreword is pretty simple. The heroine in my story has type-1 diabetes. Brenda's son also has type-1 diabetes. You probably know Brenda is a huge advocate for raising funds for research into the condition. I decided to add a portion of my royalties to the search for finding a cure. I've been blogging about some of the real life diabetes stories recently and more to come next week. Brenda was very generous and I'm very grateful. She's a lovely lady.


message 23: by Cyp (new)

Cyp (cyp-thatsme) | 19 comments Why do you write adult romance? Why not, say, the trending young adult genre? When you write a sex scene or something, does it get awkward for you?


message 24: by Iris (new)

Iris (ipro) | 277 comments My grandmother actually had type-1 diabetes. It's such a great cause! See, now I'm going to have to get the book just on principle alone. lol

How long does it usually take you to write a book?


message 25: by Toni (new)

Toni Anderson | 30 comments Cyp wrote: "Why do you write adult romance? Why not, say, the trending young adult genre? When you write a sex scene or something, does it get awkward for you?"

Cyp--I haven't written any YA. I have one YA idea and it isn't in what I see as the tradition YA scene. I'm trying to build a career as an author and so I concentrate on what I'd like to do long term. YA is special. I think RS is special too. :)
Writing sex scenes is the hardest thing in the world for me. I'd rather kill off dozens than sit down and let two people connect on the most intimate level. And that is a fact that fascinates me. Why are we more comfortable with murder than love?


message 26: by Toni (new)

Toni Anderson | 30 comments Iris wrote: "My grandmother actually had type-1 diabetes. It's such a great cause! See, now I'm going to have to get the book just on principle alone. lol

How long does it usually take you to write a book?"


Iris--I'm sorry for your grandmother. I hope she had a long and happy life.
I consider myself a slow writer though some (shorter) books I can write in a couple of months. Generally it takes anything from 5 years (HER SANCTUARY under mitigating circumstances:) or 6 months. Because the process gets broken up with other projects/edits it's hard to quantify. :)


message 27: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1381 comments Toni, Do you listen to music as your write or do you like total silence? What sets the mood for you to write?


message 28: by Toni (last edited Nov 20, 2011 09:39AM) (new)

Toni Anderson | 30 comments Samantha wrote: "Toni, Do you listen to music as your write or do you like total silence? What sets the mood for you to write?"

I write to music, although occasionally I find myself turning everything off so I have silence to get a particular section right.
I create soundtracks that set the tone of the story. Sea of Suspicion was written to a lot of the Rolling Stones. Storm Warning featured a lot of Dido-esque music. Edge of Survival was written to Wilco, James Blunt and Zac Brown. My house is noisy, often music drowns out the distractions :)


message 29: by Toni (last edited Nov 20, 2011 11:07AM) (new)

Toni Anderson | 30 comments Here's a link to an excerpt from the opening pages of EDGE OF SURVIVAL:
http://ebooks.carinapress.com/4E535C2...


message 30: by Toni (new)

Toni Anderson | 30 comments I'm curious about peoples' favorite place to set a novel?


message 31: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11052 comments I enjoy reading novels that have exotic settings, or just settings that the author has extensive knowledge of that I don't (which is most places, lol). But I am partial to a book set in NYC and the surrounding areas because that's where I've always lived and it's great to recognize the places described in the book.

Do you have a favorite setting that you enjoy reading about?


message 32: by Toni (new)

Toni Anderson | 30 comments Fran wrote: "I enjoy reading novels that have exotic settings, or just settings that the author has extensive knowledge of that I don't (which is most places, lol). But I am partial to a book set in NYC and th..."

Fran--NYC--I love to watch TV shows set there. I do have a book set there, but it isn't released as yet. What a great place though, so vibrant and energetic.

I don't have a favorite setting to read. I do like to visit new places vicariously and revisit places I know through the eyes of an author. Actually, I do *really* love reading stories set on the coast. Love those.


message 33: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11052 comments Do you have a title and release date yet for your book set in NYC?

I also like TV shows set in NY. I have all the episodes of Revenge on my DVR ready to watch. It's set in the Hamptons, which I love. I just haven't found the time yet to actually sit down and watch it :)


message 34: by AH (new)

AH | 75 comments Toni wrote: "I'm curious about peoples' favorite place to set a novel?"

Exotic places are always fun to read about, however, I'm not that picky about settings when I read. Being Canadian, I love reading books that are set in Canada and catching some of the little Canadianisms (Kelley Armstrong does it well).


message 35: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1381 comments I love Exotic places as well. I'm with Fran on shows and books that are set in NYC since I'm from there. I just hate when people don't nail the locations right in NYC. LOL.


message 36: by Susie (new)

Susie Bradley (susie_bradley) | 31 comments I love reading almost all genres. (I'm sorry that my question isn't in bold..I'm very new to the website and don't know how to make it bold.)


What I would like to know is how you decided to get started writing in the first place?


message 37: by Mary (new)

Mary (mcmpsly7) | 6 comments Hi Toni!
Glad to have you here with us. I don't know how to bold on here, so I hope you could read this..

?If you could be any character in your stories, who would it be and why?

?Which character have surprised you the most when writing him/her?

?If you could be a character from any book in the world, which one would it be?

Thank you for taking the time to answer the questions.


message 38: by Toni (new)

Toni Anderson | 30 comments Mary wrote: "Hi Toni!
Glad to have you here with us. I don't know how to bold on here, so I hope you could read this..

?If you could be any character in your stories, who would it be and why?

?Which character..."


LOL, Mary, great questions. If I could be any character in my stories? I'd be Daniel Fox--I always wanted to be a helicopter pilot :)

Which character surprised me most? It tends to be secondary characters who really surprise me, like in my current WIP the bad guy turned out to be not what I thought at all. And the RCMP investigator in Edge of Survival turned up with his own backstory. I love him :)

If I could be a character from any book in the world? I do have a great love of Jane Austin's Elizabeth Bennett. I think it would have to be her. I like her sharp brain and nimble tongue.

I hope those are okay answers :)


message 39: by Toni (new)

Toni Anderson | 30 comments AH wrote: "Toni wrote: "I'm curious about peoples' favorite place to set a novel?"

Exotic places are always fun to read about, however, I'm not that picky about settings when I read. Being Canadian, I love r..."


AH--a fellow Canadian, huh? It's a great country :) I loved setting this book in Labrador :) Where are you from?


message 40: by Toni (new)

Toni Anderson | 30 comments Samantha wrote: "I love Exotic places as well. I'm with Fran on shows and books that are set in NYC since I'm from there. I just hate when people don't nail the locations right in NYC. LOL."

I hear you. It's a wonderful city. I'd love to take my family some day. DH and I have both been, but separately. Sigh.


message 41: by AH (new)

AH | 75 comments Toni wrote: Exotic places are always fun to read about, however, I'm not that picky about settings when I read. Being Canadia...AH--a fellow Canadian, huh? It's a great country :) I loved setting this book in Labrador :) Where are you from? "

Originally from the West Coast but now I live outside of Montreal. I'll have to find that book of yours that is set in Labrador. Not a place I'd get to very easily, but I'm curious about it.


message 42: by Mary (new)

Mary (mcmpsly7) | 6 comments Toni wrote: "Mary wrote: "Hi Toni!
Glad to have you here with us. I don't know how to bold on here, so I hope you could read this..

?If you could be any character in your stories, who would it be and why?

?Wh..."


Thank u so much for answering.. LOVE IT!


message 43: by Toni (new)

Toni Anderson | 30 comments Susie wrote: "I love reading almost all genres. (I'm sorry that my question isn't in bold..I'm very new to the website and don't know how to make it bold.)


What I would like to know is how you decided to g..."



Susie--Almost missed your post--I didn't get the email :( I love your name BTW. My granny was Susie and I named the heroine Susie in
Sea of Suspicion.
How did I get started writing? I was a prolific reader, still am, and one day I ran out of things to read and figured I'd give writing my own story a go. Actually as a young girl and teen I wrote a lot of poetry and stuff, but my sister exposed everything to the world and I was so shy I didn't write again for about 10 years. Being shy can be a curse. I really wish I'd started writing seriously much earlier.


message 44: by Toni (new)

Toni Anderson | 30 comments AH wrote: "Toni wrote: Exotic places are always fun to read about, however, I'm not that picky about settings when I read. Being Canadia...AH--a fellow Canadian, huh? It's a great country :) I loved setting t..."

It's released tomorrow. I love Montreal. Great city :) I wish I spoke French though. The kids do, but I'm useless :)


message 45: by Susie (new)

Susie Bradley (susie_bradley) | 31 comments Thank you Toni! I can't wait to read your book!


message 46: by Iris (new)

Iris (ipro) | 277 comments Toni wrote: "Iris--I'm sorry for your grandmother. I hope she had a long and happy life..."

Thank you. I'd have to say that she had a great life. And since she swore she was 75 for 5 years in a row, I'd say it was pretty long too. lol

Do you ever have new characters just pop in demanding their own story be told?


message 47: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Reynolds (goodreadscomelylibrarysec) | 49 comments Is there someone that you use for inspiration when creating your characters? Do they dictate how their story gets told?


message 48: by Toni (new)

Toni Anderson | 30 comments Iris wrote: "Toni wrote: "Iris--I'm sorry for your grandmother. I hope she had a long and happy life..."

Thank you. I'd have to say that she had a great life. And since she swore she was 75 for 5 years in a ..."


LOL.I always have people in my head wanting their story told. But sometimes they need to simmer a bit until the right story comes along :)


message 49: by Toni (new)

Toni Anderson | 30 comments Lynn wrote: "Is there someone that you use for inspiration when creating your characters? Do they dictate how their story gets told?"

Lynn, I guess I cast real people/actors into parts. Like Sean Bean as Nick Archer in Sea of Suspicion and Eric Bana as Ben Foley in Storm Warning. But they don't dictate the story. Great inspiration though :)


message 50: by Toni (new)

Toni Anderson | 30 comments Susie wrote: "Thank you Toni! I can't wait to read your book!"

Thanks, Susie :)


« previous 1
back to top