Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Penny Watson
This topic is about Penny Watson
Ask An Author, Win A Book Corner > AC: Penny Watson of Sweet Magik (November 8 - November 11)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Nov 04, 2011 09:09AM) (new)

Fran | 11053 comments Penny Watson, a Romance author; will be joining us for a Q&A and book giveaway on November 8- November 11, 2011.

Meet Penny:
PENNY WATSON is a native Pittsburgher whose love of romance started at the age of twelve when she discovered Gone With The Wind in the middle school library. This resulted in numerous attempts at a first novel involving a young lady with windswept hair who lived in a treehouse.

A biologist by training, Penny has worked at various times as a dolphin trainer, science teacher, florist, and turfgrass researcher (don't ask). Through it all she was a compulsive reader and collector of romance novels. After taking time off to raise her two spirited children, she decided to rekindle her passion for storytelling with the support of a wonderful writer's group, The Quirky Ladies. Now she gets to incorporate her wide array of interests, including gardening, cooking and travel into her light paranormal stories. Penny lives outside of Boston with one fly-fishing crazed husband, two lively Filipino kids, and a wiener dog.

Blog: http://www.pennyromance.com/

Books: Sweet Inspiration (Klaus Brothers, #1) by Penny Watson , Sweet Magik (Klaus Brothers, #2) by Penny Watson

Giveaway: Penny will giving away 2 ecopies of Sweet Magik. This giveaway is open to everyone.

message 2: by Dee (last edited Nov 12, 2011 07:32PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments Welcome Penny, it's a pleasure to have you with us!

I hope you enjoy your time with our members; and good luck to you all!

GUIDELINES FOR AUTHOR AND PARTICIPANTS:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

If participants could bold their questions, it makes it easier for Penny to see them and answer! Thanks!

message 3: by Ana (new)

Ana Hello Penny and thank you for joining us. Hope you'll have fun out here. Your books seem like a perfect holiday romance read! And since we'll be celebrating Christmas so soon, I was just looking for a good Christmas story to read. One can never get enough of holiday romance, right? So.. What inspired you to write Klaus Brothers series? I must say that they seem very original, never actually thought Santa's sons could be hot:)

message 4: by Kati (new)

Kati  (romancing_rakes) | 2 comments Hi Penny. Loved the book!

message 5: by KyBunnies (new)

KyBunnies | 14 comments Wow this seems like such an interesting read. I can honestly never thought of Santa and Mrs. Klaus as having kids. I will have to get it for me Kindle on payday.
How long does it take you to write a novel? Besides your imagination what else do you use as characters and setting's for your novels?

Thanks your book looks like a wonderful read.

message 6: by Penny (new)

Penny Watson @Dee.....Thanks for having me! Geez, Goodreads was having some problems this morning, eh? Glad it's back up! I was getting jittery.

message 7: by Penny (new)

Penny Watson @Ananda......Hi! ...

What inspired you to write Klaus Brothers series?

I love holiday romances, too! I also love brotherhood-style series, like JR Ward's vampires, Christine Feehan's Ghostwalkers. I love new twists on fairy tales and legends. So, I decided it would be fun to play around with the legend of Santa....a big, jolly fat guy....and turn him into a buff work-out addict, with 5 sexy sons who like to give each other crap. This series has humor, magic, and sexy giants with beards....all my favorite things! :^)

message 8: by Penny (new)

Penny Watson @Kati....Thanks so much! I am so glad you liked it!

message 9: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3585 comments Hi, Penny! I'm so excited to learn about this series, where have I been. it looks so fantastic. Just in time for the holidays too!

My question is: do you have a set plan for the series from the beginning or do you develop it as you go along?

message 10: by Penny (new)

Penny Watson @Suzie....

How long does it take you to write a novel? Besides your imagination what else do you use as characters and setting's for your novels?

It generally takes me about a year to write and edit a story. Although, if I didn't have 2 needy kids, a needy husband, and a needy weenie dog, I could probably get it done in 2 weeks.

I do get inspired by holiday films and music, but most of the stuff in my stories just comes from my (sometimes warped) imagination!

message 11: by Penny (new)

Penny Watson Hi @Sassafrass! (I have to tell you, one of our favorite family expressions is...."Sassafrass, My Ass!" hee hee).

Do you have a set plan for the series from the beginning or do you develop it as you go along?

I had a very rough idea, but I mostly "pants" the stories as I'm working on them. (Writing by the seat of my pants, which means making it up as I go along). The over-riding story arc of the series is "Who will be the next Santa?"---which one of the brothers will become the next Santa and take over for his father. I know the answer to that already!

message 12: by Iris (new)

Iris (ipro) | 277 comments Hi Penny and welcome! What did you do to stay in the "mood" to write books based on Santa Klaus' sons? The holidays are my favorite time of the year but I know it would drive my husband nuts if I played Christmas music or watched holiday movies year-long just to stay in the mood for the storyline. lol

message 13: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Reynolds (goodreadscomelylibrarysec) | 49 comments Good Afternoon Penny:
How did you go from being a Biologist to writing romance novels? What is your inspiration for your characters?

message 14: by Penny (last edited Nov 08, 2011 10:48AM) (new)

Penny Watson @Iris....Hi!

What did you do to stay in the "mood" to write books based on Santa Klaus' sons?

That is a very good question, since I am usually writing these stories in August when it's hot and muggy. Writing now is easy....I go to Starbucks and get a gingerbread latte! In the summer, I surround myself with xmas decorations so my office always looks "in the mood" for a holiday series. I am going to try and post some photos of my office...let's see if this works....

Whoops! That didn't work....I'll see if I can find another way to do it....

Here's the link to the article w/ photos of my office....

http://www.bookchickcity.com/2010/12/...

message 15: by Iris (new)

Iris (ipro) | 277 comments Penny, that's funny. Your office looks like my family room does every year... in January! Being hispanic my husband will let me have my way about keeping stuff up til Three Kings Day, but that's as far as he'll let me go. lol

message 16: by Penny (new)

Penny Watson @Lynn....Hi!

How did you go from being a Biologist to writing romance novels? What is your inspiration for your characters?

I worked as a biology teacher for awhile, then as a PE teacher/lacrosse and field hockey coach when my kids were little, and finally I decided to stay home. I started writing for fun. And I still write for fun!

My characters just pop into my head and I go with the flow. Sometimes they grow and change as I'm writing...I love that because I never know what's going to happen. I do like a lot of contrast between the H/h....I think that makes for a lot of interest in the story.

message 17: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (new)

♡Karlyn P♡ (karlynp) Hi Penny!!

No question, but wanted to say that I'm currently reading Sweet Magik (about 20% in) and really enjoying it. I can't wait to see how the relationship between Oskar (O) and Kiana evolve, what a great pair they make. And I'm loving the side story with the elves, LOL. You have a wonderful imagination. I never would have thought a hero with green hair would be sexy, but man-oh-man I'm digging O. :-) I wish the entire series was finished, sigh.

message 18: by Penny (new)

Penny Watson @KarLynP.....Hi! It's funny....everyone keeps mentioning Oskar's hair. I didn't think that would be such a big deal. I guess most women like their hero's hair to be thick and chestnut-y colored with red highlights. Or something like that. :^)

The main thing about Oskar is that he has super intense emerald-colored eyes...I don't think his hair color really matters. But I also like the color green!

message 19: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments hi Penny! so glad you are here!

I was intrigued by the difference between the covers of Sweet Inspiration and Sweet Magik - do you haven a favorite between the two? and can I have the model off Magik (please for christmas - since you have the in with Santa and all that)

message 20: by Teri (new)

Teri Jackson (terbear) | 208 comments Hi penny ^-^

Can the Klaus Brothers books be read as a stand alone or is it better to read them as a series?

message 21: by Penny (new)

Penny Watson @Dee...Hi! Thanks so much for having me as a guest!

I was intrigued by the difference between the covers of Sweet Inspiration and Sweet Magik - do you haven a favorite between the two? and can I have the model off Magik (please for christmas - since you have the in with Santa and all that)

I actually love both of them! I think the cover for Sweet Inspiration (Klaus Brothers, #1) by Penny Watson really captures the spirit of the book....it is silly, sexy and quirky! Sweet Magik (Klaus Brothers, #2) by Penny Watson deals with some more serious issues and has a darker feel to it...so the cover is perfect. But it still gets across that magical, holiday feel. (And a hot Klaus boy!). Cara McKenna/Meg Maguire designed the cover for me. She is not only a talented author, but also a talented designer.

message 22: by Penny (new)

Penny Watson @Teri....Hi!

Can the Klaus Brothers books be read as a stand alone or is it better to read them as a series?

Hi Teri! I made sure that Sweet Magik could stand alone. But I think to really get a feel for the whole world I've created in the North Pole (and to get to know all the brothers), it's a good idea to read both, in order.

message 23: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 195 comments Hi Penny, what a great idea for a series. I read 'Sweet Inspiration' last Christmas and loved it!

Have you planned how many books you will write for the series? For example one book per brother and then end it or bring in more characters to continue it.

message 24: by Penny (new)

Penny Watson @Joanne....Thank you so much!

Have you planned how many books you will write for the series? For example one book per brother and then end it or bring in more characters to continue it.

Well, I'll tell you guys a secret. I was going to write 5 books...one for each brother. But I decided to squish 2 brothers into one book! The next book is Sweet Adventure (Klaus Brothers #3)....and both Sven and Gregor will find their romantic mates. The last book will be Sweet Destiny....Wolfie's story. And then we will find out which of the brothers will become the next Santa!

I am considering doing a spin-off series with the elves, possibly as a children's book or a YA book.

Also, my dream is to have a cheesy made-for-TV lifetime holiday special with the Klaus boys. ☺

message 25: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Reynolds (goodreadscomelylibrarysec) | 49 comments I would definitely watch that movie!

message 26: by Pam (last edited Nov 08, 2011 12:56PM) (new)

Pam (txpam) | 142 comments Penny wrote: "@Joanne....Thank you so much!

Well, I'..."

Penny:

I think a "cheesy made-for-TV Lifetime holiday special" would be perfect! I could see it now! I'd spread the word to everyone I know to watch it too!
:-D

message 27: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Reynolds (goodreadscomelylibrarysec) | 49 comments I would definitely post that one everywhere I could. I know you would get a high female viewer count.

message 28: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 195 comments Thanks for your answer Penny.

I would watch the movie as well if it were shown in the UK (and I don't usually watch TV) :)

message 29: by Penny (new)

Penny Watson I think it would be super important for me to personally interview all prospective actors for the Klaus Brothers....you know, Hugh Jackman, Eric Bana, Daniel Craig, Viggo Mortensen, etc.

message 30: by Evan (new)

Evan Who is your favorite abuthor?

message 31: by Penny (new)

Penny Watson @Evan.....Hi!

Who is your favorite author?

Well, first of all, I mostly read romance. So....let's just talk about romance authors! 2nd, I can't just pick one....here are some of my favorites....

Amanda Quick
Julie Garwood (historicals)
Christine Feehan
Mary Balogh
Eloisa James
Karen Marie Moning
Kresley Cole
Stephanie Laurens
Annette Blair
Gail Carriger.........and a lot more! That's just the top of the iceberg!

message 32: by Pam (last edited Nov 08, 2011 02:49PM) (new)

Pam (txpam) | 142 comments Penny wrote: "@Evan.....Hi!

Who is your favorite author?

Well, first of all, I mostly read romance. So....let's just talk about romance authors! 2nd, I can't just pick one....here are some of my favorites......."

Penny:

I know....Who is your favorite author is an IMPOSSIBLE QUESTION TO ASK TO A REAL READER LIKE ALL OF US! There is just too many to name! You pick what book you want to read by the "mood" your in right? I know that's what I do.

I really don't have any questions for you because they already asked them. The cover was one of mine....I like both of them by the way. I was wondering where you came up with this series???? Then you said, "They just pop into my head." Keep up the great imaginative writing....I can't get enough of it! I love the "light paranormal" aspect too. If it is too dark I wont read it.

message 33: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments as long as the men have beard's right penny ;)

message 34: by Penny (new)

Penny Watson @Pam.....I like light paranormal, too! In fact, I am a big wussie about books that are too dark and disturbing. I love mixing humor with romance, mixing humor with horror, mixing humor with anything!

@Dee....Of course. That's a given. Just Say No To Razors.

message 35: by Catherine (last edited Nov 08, 2011 04:53PM) (new)

Catherine | 624 comments wow.. I have a few of these authors on my tbr list still! are you a bookshop junkie? how did you come across these authors? I found that I was usually attracted to at title od cover, and then I would pick up the beek and read the synopsis... most of these authors were unknown to me...later when I found this site..I found tons of authors....and my tbr list just keeps growing and growing!

I love romance, although I have not read your books as of yet....but they look like great picks!

message 36: by Penny (new)

Penny Watson @Catherine.....

Hi! I started my romance obsession in bookstores, but eventually I got a Kindle and now I only read ebooks. I get lots of great recommendations at Goodreads! Too many....I don't have time to read all these books!

message 37: by Isabella (new)

Isabella Queirouz | 201 comments Hi Penny,
I'd like to ask you how do you react to a bad review on one of your books?
and one another question please:
Do you try to live one situation or action you didn't experiment yet in your life, to be able to describe it better in your book? (such as get arrested or get drunk...)

message 38: by Penny (new)

Penny Watson @Isabella....Hi! Believe it or not, I have agreed with almost all the reviewers...even the reviews that weren't great. I thought the criticisms made were valid points. Of course, some folks say they love the German terminology, and some folks hate it....there are certain things you just can't predict. But since I dish it out when I review, I better be able to take it!

I'm not sure I understand the 2nd question, but I think you're asking if I've ever done something so I can write about it. The answer is...no. That's what my imagination is for. It can take me to the North Pole!

message 39: by Mary (last edited Nov 08, 2011 06:56PM) (new)

Mary (mcmpsly7) | 6 comments Hi Penny!
What I'm wondering is growing up was there any author(s) that you'd like to or wanted to minic their writing style?

and

if you could be any character in your books who would it be?

sorry, don't know how to bold the questions..

message 40: by Catherine (last edited Nov 08, 2011 07:14PM) (new)

Catherine | 624 comments I love the feel of a book...I won't get a kindle or other electronic gadget....I know...time....I wish I had more...I have so many other hobbies too...and not enough hours in the day! my mum loves to read as well...and I am always depositing books on her pile...and she is always complaining that she has her own tbr list..and she just simply can't read everything!

I know this is a romance link...do you like simply romance, or do you like historical romance, mystery romance as well? I have also found alot of British romances that I found very funny....

my other problem seems to be that I find all these books that are part of a series...half-way into the series! then I have to go back and find the first one! do you ever have that problem?

message 41: by Ruth Ann (new)

Ruth Ann (ruthannsantiago) | 172 comments Hi Penny!!! I haven't read either of your Klaus books but after reading the reviews and your answers to these questions, I can't wait to read them!!!

***I don't know how to bold questions****

I like the cover of Sweet Magik. Will the cover of the other 3 books be just as sexy?? Are all of Santa's sons hot???

message 42: by Iris (new)

Iris (ipro) | 277 comments You mentioned it takes you about a year to finish a book do to family obligations. You also mentioned being surprised at where your characters sometimes take you. Do you ever get back to a story only to have it go in a completely different direction than it had been before you had to stop writing?

message 43: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (flame_2712) | 126 comments Hey Penny! Its the first time I heard of your books, but after seeing the blurb and several reviews I sure can't wait to read them after my exams!

I don't actually have any questions haha:) Just wondering, Do you ever have writer's block? And if you do, how do you overcome it?

message 44: by Penny (new)

Penny Watson @Mary.....Hi Mary!

What I'm wondering is growing up was there any author(s) that you'd like to or wanted to minic their writing style?

and if you could be any character in your books who would it be?

These are good questions! I read a TON growing up...everything under the sun. I was a geek! I read every single Stephen King book published at that time (back in the 1800s....hee hee!) and I especially loved The Stand. In fact, I think I wrote about that book for a high school essay. It's astounding to me that he had some sort of inkling of AIDs/viral disasters before it became common knowledge, and wrote such an epic story about it (using it as a device to break the survivors up into good and bad). I love how he takes seemingly unrelated story threads and weaves them together. The structure of his books is so incredibly well done.

As to the second question....I think I would want to be Mrs. Klaus! She's married to Santa, has a whole bunch of elves to help out, gets to travel all over the world, and everyone loves her. Sounds good to me! (And her hubby is a buff, bearded guy....at least in my book!)

message 45: by Penny (new)

Penny Watson @Catherine....

I know this is a romance link...do you like simply romance, or do you like historical romance, mystery romance as well? I have also found alot of British romances that I found very funny....

my other problem seems to be that I find all these books that are part of a series...half-way into the series! then I have to go back and find the first one! do you ever have that problem?

Hi Catherine! My favorite sub-genres of romance are historical and paranormal. I don't like contemporary....too much like real life. I LOVE cozy mysteries (nothing too dark and disturbing...a lot of romantic suspense is too heavy for me).

As far as series go, I tend to get a bit OCD-ish about my reading. I start at the beginning, and read all the books in order. A couple of times I have read a book out of order, and didn't like it. I think with a series, the author develops the world-building over time, and it is best to get the whole flavor by reading them in order.

message 46: by Penny (new)

Penny Watson @Ruth Ann....

I like the cover of Sweet Magik. Will the cover of the other 3 books be just as sexy?? Are all of Santa's sons hot???

Hi Ruth Ann! Good question. Once I finish Sweet Adventure, I'll have a better idea about the book cover. Sven is the Master Toy Maker in the North Pole, so I might have some wood-working stuff on the cover, show his tools (not THOSE tools...hee hee!), etc. All of Santa's sons are hot!

Nicholas is huge, buff, bearded, with glasses. (Dark hair and eyes)
Sven is a giant blond, with long hair.
Gregor is dressed for success as a financial guy...with a goatee!
Wolfie is tall, dark, and built! (and beardy, of course)
Oskar is a snowboarding punk...with green-dyed hair and funky clothes...and ripped abs.

They're all "hot"!!!

message 47: by Penny (new)

Penny Watson @Iris.....

Do you ever get back to a story only to have it go in a completely different direction than it had been before you had to stop writing?

Hi Iris! That happens all the time! I never plan out my books. I just let them "write themselves".....so new characters pop up, new storylines emerge...I never know what's going to happen!

message 48: by Penny (new)

Penny Watson @Flame....

Do you ever have writer's block? And if you do, how do you overcome it?

Hi Flame! Some days are great writing days, and some days I got nuthin'.......When that happens, it means I have a problem with the story I have to figure out, and I usually do that by walking. Once I work out the kink in the story, then the words start flowing again.

message 49: by Missy (new)

Missy | 23 comments Hi Penny,

This is the first I've seen of your Klaus Brothers Series. What a unique idea!! My question for you is Do you root for the Steelers or Patriots?? ha ha. I'm from outside of Pittsburgh. My husband is from Rhode Island and lived outsitde of Boston for a few years. We have relatives there that we visit. And "Gone with the Wind" is one of my favorite books!
Looking forward to reading your books!

message 50: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Reynolds (goodreadscomelylibrarysec) | 49 comments On that theme, if you had to use football players for the Klaus Brothers who would you choose?

« previous 1