The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > 1Q84 paper texture

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Warren (last edited Nov 04, 2011 08:31AM) (new)

Warren | 1556 comments The paper used for the book 1Q84 (Haruki Murakami) feels different. More then a few people have commented on its texture. Is this to be a new trend? Will people pay the extra $20 to get the paper rather then ebook version, just so that they can fondle the pages.

message 2: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6261 comments I believe the paper is made from the skin of cats.

message 3: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Elephant dung paper.

The man behind the paper is Mr. Wanchai. On his way home from work he used to pass a natural paper factory and was impressed at the simplicity of the process that used natural tree fibers to make high quality hand made paper. He then took a trip to the Thai Elephant Conservation Center in Lampang Northern Thailand and saw piles and piles of dung. He looked at the dung and noticed that the dung was very fibrous. This was the birth of the idea.

message 4: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Sean wrote: "Elephant dung paper.

The man behind the paper is Mr. Wanchai. On his way home from work he used to pass a natural paper factory and was impressed at the simplicity of the process that used natural..."

So we wouldn't be insulting the book to say it is sh*t or call it a small pile of elephant crap? Someone stop me I've made many many terrible jokes today.

message 5: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6261 comments It had an excellent tale.

message 6: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Would it be redundant to use this paper for toilet tissue?

message 7: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) They should have special recycling bins for these books so it can turned back in to fertilizer. Several Zoos sell their elephant dung for this purpose.

message 8: by Poly (new)

Poly (xenphilos) Nick wrote: "Would it be redundant to use this paper for toilet tissue?"

I'd call it recursive.

message 9: by Warren (last edited Nov 06, 2011 05:52PM) (new)

Warren | 1556 comments Thanks you for that bit of info.
I think that's great.
Maybe not as great as the people who were
rubbing their faces again the pages….
but never the less a great.
I hope it helps our pachyderm friends.

message 10: by Amanda (last edited Nov 08, 2011 02:34PM) (new)

Amanda (amanda-andonian) | 19 comments I absolutely plan to buy the hardcover copy, even if it is made from elephant dung. A friend of mine has it, and I just fell in love with the craftsmanship. So, I'll have the hardcover for my shelf, and a digital copy for my Kindle, haha.