Running Away to Home: Our Family's Journey to Croatia in Search of Who We Are, Where We Came From, and What Really Matters Running Away to Home question

What about Mrkopalj sucked you in?
Jennifer Wilson Jennifer Nov 04, 2011 07:41AM
I've had a lot of feedback about the village of Mrkopalj, and how it has enchanted some readers the way it enchanted my family. What was it about the place that made you like the place? After all, it is just a quiet little village that time seems to have forgotten. I spent about 340 pages telling you what the appeal was for me. What was the appeal for you?

I lived in Paris and I used to go to a Serbian bar, really because it was in my neighborhood. I found it to be a great sociological study. This is what drew me to your book, to see what your thoughts would be. (I know Serbia is not Croatia). Also, I'm always interested in small town life. I've always been a city girl. My mom is from small town Maine and couldn't get out fast enough. So I have some experience of life in a small town from my visits there. I loved your book on a lot of levels. I think all Americans ought to be required to live in a foreign country for a year!