Montclair Goodreaders Bookclub discussion

December Selection: The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Ledwith | 20 comments Hi all, as we discussed, the next selection will be The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides. We will meet on Wednesday, December 7th at 7:15pm - same place.

Looking forward to spending more time at the next meeting.

message 2: by Rick (new)

Rick Moss Wednesday's meet was really enjoyable. Great to see Grace and Jennifer again and to meet Richard and Lauren in person. There were enriching comments on Moloka'i from everyone.

Hope Anuj is feeling better. (We invoked your name a number of times. Richard and Lauren are big fans of Cloud Atlas, BTW.)

Looking forward to The Marriage Plot. Our power was (finally) restored last night so reading will be a lot cozier ; )

message 3: by Anuj (new)

Anuj (anuju) | 27 comments Sorry I missed the discussion. If The Marriage Plot is even remotely as good as Middlesex, I think we're in for a treat.

Unfortunately I am out of the country from the 11/29 to 12/19. I will, however, still read the book. If at all possible could we meet on Monday evening the 28th?

Glad everything is back to normal Rick. We're finally able to use our front entrance after the massive branches were removed from the yard yesterday.

message 4: by Grace (new)

Grace | 32 comments Monday the 28th is fine with me.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Ledwith | 20 comments Monday the 28th is fine with me also.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 9 comments It was great to meet everyone at our last meeting! Monday the 28th works for me too.

And, FYI:
on 11/14 Eugenides will read from the book at the 92nd st. Y in NYC. Might be worth a trip...

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/events/...

message 7: by Anuj (new)

Anuj (anuju) | 27 comments Thanks for being accommodating everyone.

Rick - 28th OK for you?

message 8: by Rick (new)

Rick Moss Sure, the 28th is fine, although I do so hate Monday's. Don't be put off if I'm cranky.

Enjoying the book so far.

message 9: by Rick (new)

Rick Moss Hi all. Confirming tonight's meeting. Trends at 7:00?

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Ledwith | 20 comments I will be there - but I think it's 7:15.

message 11: by Rick (new)

Rick Moss 7:15 it is.

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 9 comments Hi guys,
It turns out that I can't make it tonight--sorry to miss. I have a bunch of work stuff that flared up unexpectedly. I should be there for next one if it is around the holiday (like after the 25th and before mid-Jan). Let me know what you pick.

Lauren

message 13: by Grace (new)

Grace | 32 comments Sorry I got the date mixed up. It was first going to be Dec. 7th. When Anuj changed it to the 28th I thought he meant Dec. 28th. Great book! I will see you at the next meeting.

Grace

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Ledwith | 20 comments Should we reschedule the discussion for this book until end Dec - mid-Jan? I suspect it will be a great discussion so I don't mind waiting until we all can make it. How does that sound?

message 15: by Anuj (new)

Anuj (anuju) | 27 comments I am OK to wait...lots of packing before my trip to Kolkata tomorrow.

Anuj

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Ledwith | 20 comments Oh good! I hope Rick sees this before going there. If he doesn't respond, I'll call Trend.

message 17: by Rick (new)

Rick Moss Yup, glad I checked before leaving. It would have looked odd talking to myself there on the couch.

I'll stay tuned for a rescheduling date.

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Ledwith | 20 comments Oh good! Perhaps we can figure it out after Anuj is back on Dec 19th. At the next meeting we may want to exchange email or phone numbers for emergencies.

Have a great week, everybody.

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 9 comments Thanks for waiting. Richard and I are traveling until Dec 22nd but should be able to make it after that date. Looking forward to the discussion.

message 20: by Grace (new)

Grace | 32 comments So,what is a good date for everyone. How about the 28th of Dec. which is still stuck in my head?

Grace

message 21: by Rick (new)

Rick Moss OK for me.

message 22: by Anuj (new)

Anuj (anuju) | 27 comments OK for me too

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Ledwith | 20 comments Ok for me too. Same time, 7:15?

message 24: by Rick (new)

Rick Moss FYI, the latest edition of the Paris Review has a terrific interview with Eugenides. A bit pricey, but you can buy a copy here: http://store.theparisreview.org/produ...

message 25: by Anuj (new)

Anuj (anuju) | 27 comments Hi Everyone,

Given the usual holiday madness I'm not sure if everyone remembered our planned discussion this evening. Does anyone plan on going to Trend?

Anuj

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Ledwith | 20 comments Yes, I will be there.

message 27: by Rick (new)

Rick Moss I can make it if others can. (I haven't been driven entirely mad by the holidays :-p

message 28: by Anuj (new)

Anuj (anuju) | 27 comments OK, I'll be there at 7:15.

message 29: by Grace (new)

Grace | 32 comments I will be there.