Horror Aficionados discussion

5 Vampires Who Need A Holy Water Baptism

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments LOL too true Scott....

I just read the blog. I am one of the few who has NOT read Twilight. My friend bugs me all the time to read them....I keep saying NO. I like my vampires scary.

message 2: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Haha! Love the picture of Edward Cullen's sparkly ashes.

I don't care that writers are branching out with the vampire genre, but I myself don't read stories by Charlaine Harris or Stephanie Myers (sp?).

But I recently read a book about vampires in suburbia and enjoyed it a lot. Sunlight didn't kill them for some reason, and while I normally don't like day walking vampires it didn't bother me in this instance. I guess it's whatever I'm in the mood for.

message 3: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Feral vampires are interesting to me. Don't need my vampires dressed like a dandy in front of a roaring fire holding a brandy snifter. The vampires in The Strain trilogy are intelligent but feral at the same time. If that's possible. I'm going to say it is.

message 4: by Char (new)

Char  | 13647 comments Mod
Hi, Greg! I'm new but I have to say your blog cracked me up! Amen to that. Vampires should NEVER sparkle, unless it's right before they explode into flames!
Jenbunny, I refuse to read Twilight, REFUSE!

message 5: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 2035 comments LOL Charlene.....I am on the refusal train as well. I just will not give in. I have WAY too many other interesting books to read.

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Gah the idiotic illustrations in the front of the Charlaine Harris books alone made me dubious hearing about how the books inside them are just makes me want to pretend they don't exist...

I was a fan of Anne Rice vamps so intelligent vamps are ok by me but the whiny shiny type don't bother me as much as make me question if the "vegetarian" diet is screwing with their ability to live like the monster they are. Also the relationship dynamic in those books kinda makes me worry about the girls reading those books.

Ah Bunnicula :) I've read Nikki the first book (which he loved and have the next one waiting in line for us. THAT was a fun take on the genre.

message 7: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) LOL! Great blog Greg. Now gimme the proper vampires!

message 8: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) Tressa wrote: "Feral vampires are interesting to me. Don't need my vampires dressed like a dandy in front of a roaring fire holding a brandy snifter. The vampires in The Strain trilogy are intelligent but feral a..."

I agree Tressa....I like that kind of vampire!

I wouldn't read Twilight if it was the last book on earth....just thinking about it makes me feel nauseous.

message 9: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) Greg wrote: "Kat wrote: "LOL! Great blog Greg. Now gimme the proper vampires!"

If you want my best attempt, my book Thicker Than Water is available on Kindle.

Scott wrote: "There are vegetari..."

Thanks Greg, looks great, I've added it to my wishlist (made a promise to myself to not buy any more books until I've read at least 10 on my TBR...it's killing me!)

message 10: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Kat wrote: "I wouldn't read Twilight if it was the last book on earth....just thinking about it makes me feel nauseous.
..."

LOL. Yes, you would. We all would because reading is in our blood. We might not enjoy it, but we'd read it. Especially if all the cereal boxes have been destroyed.

message 11: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) Tressa wrote: "Kat wrote: "I wouldn't read Twilight if it was the last book on earth....just thinking about it makes me feel nauseous.
..."

LOL. Yes, you would. We all would because reading is in our blood. We m..."

Maybe....but I'm sure I could find a cereal box somewhere!

message 12: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I'd hoard cereal boxes when I came across one in my scavenging.

message 13: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 7 comments Great post! However I must admit that I love feral vampires. They're not rational, you can't buy time with pretty words or with a pretty face, and they will always follow their instincts. It's like they're trapped in another time, and could never adapt to the changes in society.

I also have to point out that Dracula could also function in the day. Sunlight didn't kill him, it only made him weaker and easier to kill. That being said, I want my vampires to explode in a show of light as soon as they come in contact with even a little bit of light. :) (and NO GLITTER, OR SPARKS!)

message 14: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) Tressa wrote: "I'd hoard cereal boxes when I came across one in my scavenging."

Cereal boxes, takeaway flyers...anything!

message 15: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1862 comments Greg wrote: "Hi guys. I just thought you might like this post from my blog, which tears into vegetarian vampires, day-walkers, bloodsucking manic-depressives and a couple of other vampires I think have a tenden..."

FINALLY!!! someone has said (ever so eloquently with just a "few" expletives ;) what i have been saying for a long time! vampires are killers, not fluffy and loveable. I so agree with your take on twilight, but many women (not me; i'm a purist too) would disagree. something about the romance crap. it takes the fun out of what could be a great novel. i did like Anne Rices take on it, but Louis really irritated me with his whining. Now, Claudia had it right... she was ticked off, and full of hate...and really loved to kill.. i like that girl.

message 16: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1862 comments Tressa wrote: "Feral vampires are interesting to me. Don't need my vampires dressed like a dandy in front of a roaring fire holding a brandy snifter. The vampires in The Strain trilogy are intelligent but feral a..."

i agree; they go right back to basic needs of eating, waste and eating some more. survival of the fittest at its best.

message 17: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 7 comments Greg wrote: "Haha. Good call. Claudia was a great character. I liked Lestat a lot in 'Interview With The Vampire', and then I read 'The Vampire Lestat' and grew to hate him. He suddenly turned into Louis and spent the whole story whining. And then, against all odds, Louis came out feeling like a badass in his one little moment at the end. I quit reading after that."

Claudia is the best character of the entire "Vampire Chronicles". Ann Rice had it right at the beginning: vampires questioning their thirst for blood but drinking it anyway, but later she just felt the need to fill every plot hole with homoerotic innuendo and turn the whole thing into gay romance. And don't get me wrong, I'm a sucker for romance (gay and straight), but vampires should have no part in that.

message 18: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Kat wrote: "Tressa wrote: "I'd hoard cereal boxes when I came across one in my scavenging."

Cereal boxes, takeaway flyers...anything!"

Crumpled receipts lying in the bottom of my purse!

message 19: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) Crumpled receipts lying in the bottom of my purse!"

LOL! Old newspapers under linoleum (could actually be interesting too!).

message 20: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Hey, those are fun to read, Kat. Seeing what was going on in the news 50 years ago and to laugh enviously at the prices of things. New car! Two thousand dollars! New Tudor house! Fifty thousand dollars!

message 21: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6473 comments Adriana wrote: "the need to fill every plot hole with homoerotic innuendo"

That's about 50% of my beef with Anne Rice. She also has the tendency to drop the innuendo into places where it was way outside the storyline (ie. "The Mummy, or Ramses the Damned"...tension between two prominent characters is later revealed to be due to them having a homosexual one-off). Geez really?

I picked up one of her son's books and just opened to a random page and started reading...right in the middle of a homoerotic scene. Well, hell if the acorn doesn't fall far from the literary tree.

Save that crap for the romance novels.

Another annoying habit of Anne Rice is her listing of books that her characters have read to prove how smart they are. There is a couple of paragraphs for each of her protagonists in each of her books where she does this. "He read this book and that book and this other book and oh wow how damn smart he is because he read this obscure book aren't you dumb because you haven't"...AAAAHHHHH!

Any coincidence that Trent Reznor moved to NOLA, started hanging out with Anne Rice and never put out another decent album? I think not! She zapped the brains out of the poor guy!

Okay, I'm done!

message 22: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6473 comments Scott wrote: "When did he stop putting out decent albums?"

"The Downward Spiral" was tolerable. Everything beyond that is trash. He is so out of ideas that he eventually put out an instrumental album, setting aside what had been one of his strong points, lyrics.

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Ken wrote: "Scott wrote: "When did he stop putting out decent albums?"

"The Downward Spiral" was tolerable. Everything beyond that is trash. He is so out of ideas that he eventually put out an instrumental al..."

Hmm I loved The Fragile and lots of other songs after Downward Spiral but then maybe its just me...

Chris Rice is gay and writes thrillers with gay characters. There's absolutely nothing wrong with him wanting to write characters he can identify with in fact he's a pretty damn good writer. As far as Anne I think that not all of the "homoerotic" tones are about overt homosexuality but love of the person that gets translated that way by folks that aren't comfortable with gay characters. Yeah Louis and Lestat have that setup in spades but her books aren't all gay orgies or anything.

Actually I think you'd probably have a harder time with Poppy Z Brite who has straight up gay love scenes in hers (well his now as he's going through the sex change operation).

message 24: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6473 comments Amanda wrote: "folks that aren't comfortable with gay characters."

It seriously has nothing to do with being uncomfortable with gay characters...way off base here. I like horror for the sake of horror. You can can all of the romantic crap as far as I am concerned. Scare me!

I also thought Lestat as a rock star was annoying as hell. Does that mean that I am uncomfortable with characters who are rock stars? No it means that I thought it was campy as hell and was yet another aspect of "The Vampire Lestat" that ruined that book.

message 25: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6473 comments Amanda wrote: "Hmm I loved The Fragile and lots of other songs after Downward Spiral "

I went back and went through the track listings on the albums after "Downward Spiral". "Starfucker" was the only song that I liked after that, and that song isn't at all like his earlier material.

I saw them in concert in 1991 at a very small venue, "The Vatican", in Houston. That was a great show. I saw them again a couple years back at Toyota Center. He has definitely taken a turn for a harder rock sound, even on the older material. That is probably why I don't care much for the newer stuff.

message 26: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Ken wrote: "Amanda wrote: "folks that aren't comfortable with gay characters."

It seriously has nothing to do with being uncomfortable with gay characters...way off base here. I like horror for the sake of ho..."

It seemed that the gay angle was what bothered you so that's why I addressed it that way. I kind of always saw Anne as a historical gothic writer rather than a horror one and wished she'd been classified that way. A lot of its more about setting the era where the story takes place in history than in doing anything outright horrific. I can see not being a fan of romantic elements in fact its the reason I'm glad they made up the PNR classification because it helps remove those books from horror (now if they'd classify them separately from the fantasy novels...)

Yeah Lestat was a pretty off person to make a rock star. I think she was playing around with how much his ego led him around and he attributed his actions as being an expression of his creativity. It was also a way to introduce Akasha and go over the character's past. Interestingly Lestat is supposed to be her husband and Louis is her (Claudia is actually their daughter who passed away at 5)so I think in a lot of ways she was having daydreams about things Stan would do if he were an ancient vampire. A way to be more positive after she used Interview with the Vampire to get through her grief over their daughter's death. Perhaps

message 27: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Ken wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Hmm I loved The Fragile and lots of other songs after Downward Spiral "

I went back and went through the track listings on the albums after "Downward Spiral". "Starfucker" was the o..."

Ah ok sort of how I didn't like anything from Marilyn Manson after Mechanical Animals. Manson moved away from the style i was interested in and actually managed to sell out as a shock rocker.

Reznor has more recently said something along the lines that the lyrics of his early work weren't really based on anything he'd actually experienced. So maybe he's trying to be more honest with his subject matter?

message 28: by Lori (new)

Lori | 1318 comments That was quite an enjoying article. I'm glad I read it. The Edward ashes were awesome. :D

message 29: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6473 comments Amanda wrote: "I didn't like anything from Marilyn Manson after Mechanical Animals."

We are drifting off topic here. So, one last response and a thought to tie this back in: If Brian Hugh Warner was a vampire, he would be in for a holy water baptism.

I have liked most everything by Manson and didn't notice much of a style shift through the years. If anything "Mechanical Animals" was the one album that was not true to the style of the other albums.

I have seen those guys in concert three times, a couple of times in the mid to late 90's and once a couple of years back. The concert in support of "Mechanical Animals" was probably my least favorite. Musically it was fine. He just ventured way too far into the world of rock bad boy cliche of tearing up a Bible, hanging himself on a cross, etc. It just came out flat and disingenuous.

The last show was at a smaller venue and seemed less canned. He interacted with the audience and they played some really great tunes. I was about to give up on the guy but I think he saved the relationship with the last show.

message 30: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Ken wrote: "Amanda wrote: "I didn't like anything from Marilyn Manson after Mechanical Animals."

We are drifting off topic here. So, one last response and a thought to tie this back in: If Brian Hugh Warner w..."

Actually I always saw a character in Jemiah Jefferson vamp series as Manson if he was a bit less mean , sort of an idealized Manson. This one is the book that focuses on him separately from the central character :Wounds As he is atm yes he'd get a holy water baptism.