Book Loving Kiwis discussion

Archives > December Reading Challenges

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments And so, December is only just around the corner! Please suggest books for our December group reads below. Like always, I will receive suggestions up until 15 November. A poll will then be created and will run from 16-20 November. Books will be announced on 21 November.
Challenge 1: NZ
Challenge 2: Around the World - Believe it or not the letter selected randomly was 'A'. Nominate books from/set in any countries beginning with the letter 'A'.
Feel free to nominate one or two books for each challenge.
Happy reading!
NB: The Young Adult Challenge for December, as selected by you last month, is Under the Mountain.

message 2: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments For your information - Countries beginning with 'A'.
Afghanistan
Akrotiri
Albania
Algeria
American Samoa
Andorra
Angola
Anguilla
Antarctica
Antigua and Barbuda
Argentina
Armenia
Aruba
Ashmore and Cartier Islands
Australia
Austria
Azerbaijan

message 3: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments I've done some searching and discovered some interesting wee gems out there. The biggest surprise for me? Books set in Armenia. They sounded so good!

So here goes...

Australia:
The Thorn Birds
A Fortunate Life - I'm sure my Grandad lent this to me to read years ago. It was a great read.
Rabbit-Proof Fence: The True Story of One of the Greatest Escapes of All Time

Argentina:
In Patagonia

Austria:
Homestead

Azerbaijan:
Ali and Nino: A Love Story

Afghanistan:
Swallows of Kabul
The Storyteller's Daughter: One Woman's Return to Her Lost Homeland

Antarctica:
Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage

Antigua:
Annie John

Armenia:
The Gendarme
My Grandmother: A Memoir

message 4: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 1020 comments Wow, that's quite a list Angie! I was going to suggest Water, Ice, And Stone: Science and Memory on the Antarctic Lakes for Antarctica, and The Lieutenant for Australia. One of my current reads is also set in Australia: Book of Lost Threads, which I highly recommend.

message 5: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 1020 comments For the NZ challenge I'd like to nominate Geist by Philippa Ballantine.

message 6: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments I'd like to nominate The Colour by Rose Tremain for the NZ challenge.

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie Thomas | 58 comments I'd like to nominate Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey for the International challenge. It is set in Australia and writtem by an Australian and it the type of book that just stays with you.

http://www.amazon.com/Jasper-Jones-Cr...

message 8: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments I've narrowed down my choice for the Around the World Challenge to two books...
Austria: Homestead
Armenia: The Gendarme
If you are keen to read any of the others on my 'research list' above, please vote for them so that I can ensure they go on the poll in a few days time.

message 9: by BookLovingLady (last edited Nov 13, 2011 04:42AM) (new)

BookLovingLady I'm new to this group so maybe I'm mentioning books that have already been read. But I'd like to suggest two titles anyway :-)
Challenge 1: 'K. Road' by Ted Dawe for the NZ challenge.
Challenge 2: How about 'The man without qualities' by Robert Musil (Austrian). Or would that classify as too hard? But it is one that immediately sprung to mind.

message 10: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments Greeneyedlady wrote: "I'm new to this group so maybe I'm mentioning books that have already been read. But I'd like to suggest two titles anyway :-)
Challenge 1: 'K. Road' by Ted Dawe for the NZ challenge.
Challenge 2..."

Thanks for these nominations. They are perfect. We haven't read too many books as yet. You should be able to see them if you check out the group bookshelf. I think there are only six there.

message 11: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments Don't forget to vote on the December group read polls.